Thread: Road America

Liked: 14

Default Road America

Was wondering if anyone had insight into a repave of Road America?

This was in an email promoting an event at the track...I edited it to get it down to the nitty gritty...

"...The first Sunset Cruise was offered on May 19, 2012
    giving fans an opportunity to experience the iconic track
    in their own vehicle.. The last date, October 2, is the FINAL day
    for the existing track before the re-paving project
    gets underway."

Liked: 302

Quote Originally Posted by group3 View Post
    Was wondering if anyone had insight into a repave of Road America?

This was in an email promoting an event at the track...I edited it to get it down to the nitty gritty...

"...The first Sunset Cruise was offered on May 19, 2012
    giving fans an opportunity to experience the iconic track
    in their own vehicle.. The last date, October 2, is the FINAL day
    for the existing track before the re-paving project
    gets underway."

2012 ??

I may have over edited.., May of 2012 was the first sunset cruise ever offered by the track,
    the email sent to me by way of constant contact is dated august 11, 2022

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 72

They supposedly have a very major upgrade with total re-pave and additional concrete...which I read to mean outside of turns.
    what I read said biggest upgrade in the tracks history. After the last race this year is when they are starting.

Liked: 532

I’d like to think they are bringing it up to FIA spec so we could get an F1 race there but Elkhart Lake just isn’t glamorous enough for the big show but how cool would 3 or 4 DRS zones be LOL.

I’m running the track in a couple weeks.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 359

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I’d like to think they are bringing it up to FIA spec so we could get an F1 race there but Elkhart Lake just isn’t glamorous enough for the big show but how cool would 3 or 4 DRS zones be LOL.

I’m running the track in a couple weeks.
    I don't think F1 is in RA's future regardless of the Elkhart Lake situation. Creating F1 pits would destroy the pits usability for any other kind of racing and there's no other likely location for a secondary pit. Then there's how they would handle the crossover at T-5 and various bridge abutments.

F1 requirements make holding any other kinds of racing on a track problematic. If the track were being built from scratch as a multi-use facility it can be done with less hassle. Converting an existing track, and RA in particular, is probably not worth the tracks effort.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 30

Default RA repave

I was at an event at RA in July and talked with an employee of the contractor doing the repaving and who is involved with the project. At that time it was going to be the asphalt only. All the rumble strips and curbing were going to stay. By next spring we will all know for sure.

Liked: 268

Default Road America

Always has been one of the great tracks in NA. Scenery, smoothness of the track, ambiance, you name it. Most the tracks out here in the West especially in S. CA are arm pits! Portland comes the closest to RA with Laguna, Sears Point, THill and while I haven't been there Kent, WA seems good. Too bad it is such a long tow from the West!

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1124

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    Converting an existing track, and RA in particular, is probably not worth the tracks effort.

Building a track for F1 is not normally a money-making venture unless you can get a lot more use out of it. Ruining an existing track for the privilege of paying F1 fees seems no-win.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 4

I am curious about grip on brand new asphalt. Will it be immediately be better or worse than now? And for those that may know, what happens as it gets rubbered in from use?

Quote Originally Posted by cliff View Post
    They supposedly have a very major upgrade with total re-pave and additional concrete...which I read to mean outside of turns.
    what I read said biggest upgrade in the tracks history. After the last race this year is when they are starting.

Super-nice of RA to repave right before my first race there.

Perhaps my bratwurst investments since 1963 financed the whole gig.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

17. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 861

Quote Originally Posted by janton9736 View Post
    I am curious about grip on brand new asphalt. Will it be immediately be better or worse than now? And for those that may know, what happens as it gets rubbered in from use?
    If the recent repave of Roebling Road Raceway (near Savannah, GA) is any indication, the track will be CONSIDERABLY FASTER .. assuming they do a good job and use the 'right' mix. Lap times at Roebling dropped about 5% or so based on my personal experience in a Vee. That's a 9 turn track of 2 miles - vs a 14 turn track of 4 miles .. so would expect more than that at RA. Last repave at Roebling was some 20 years ago.. I'm not aware of ANY repaves at RA, though there probably have been some - I don't run there very often due to the distance. I do know that the times at RA in my class have gotten longer as the track aged over the years I've run there. Maybe it was just me.. since I've also AGED during those years .

Also 'brand new' is a relative term. It will always be 'old' to some degree since the track will require some 'aging' before allowing race cars on it. Probably 2 or 3 months .. or longer up there due to the 'not as hot' ambient temps. Probably will also depend on the ambient temps during the actual paving process too - especially if they do it over the "winter", which is likely.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

I sincerely hope polishing is not in their plans or budget LOL. COTA surface when new was low grip due to that.
    RA has only done patchwork in the 30 years I’ve been going there. Always felt it was fine, but then again Sebring was my home track for 15 years so….

I’ve been trying to remember when they last repaved it.

I do clearly remember them adding four feet all the way around, in I think 1973 or ‘74. That devaluated every lap record ever set, but was a good move.
    Last edited by E1pix; 08.22.22 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Typo
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Liked: 6

Default RA -It's Worth the Tow

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    Always has been one of the great tracks in NA. Scenery, smoothness of the track, ambiance, you name it. Most the tracks out here in the West especially in S. CA are arm pits! Portland comes the closest to RA with Laguna, Sears Point, THill and while I haven't been there Kent, WA seems good. Too bad it is such a long tow from the West!
    Pacific Raceway in Kent is probably the most similar to RA. Weaving through the trees with plenty of elevation changes, little to no armco make it a exciting track to run. There's really no compassion to RA's 4+ miles of track however, it's well worth the travel. We've done it twice and planning to go again next year. The ELVF draws all the cars you'd want, but not the crazy crowds like the July event. Monterey in August has gotten so out of hand, I like doing SVRA's event at Laguna Seca in the Spring. It's much easier to get a house to stay at and a good restaurant for the family and crew to eat at after a hard day of racing.

https://youtu.be/MgavoXjISuk

Liked: 4

Default Who is going to Road America this week VSCDA?

I've been to Road America many times, but this weekend will only be my third in the Pro Formula Mazda, and first with VSCDA. I don't know what to expect outside of being able to enjoy the track and downtown Elkhart Lake.

Who else is going? What can you tell us about the VSCDA event at RA in particular?

Jeff

Default Road America

The VSCDA volunteers put on a great weekend! We are fortunate to have it.

25. The following members LIKED this post:

We were paddocked near a pile of tore up asphalt from a recent track repair. There were a few that came by and grabbed a chunk.

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 863

Quote Originally Posted by triumph76 View Post
    We were paddocked near a pile of tore up asphalt from a recent track repair. There were a few that came by and grabbed a chunk.
    Did you save me a piece??
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 33

It will be a whole track repave. There will be no changes to layout or dimensions. Expect it to be similar to the newer sections in certain turns. They are paving it now to allow it to sit over winter which is better for it.

The current surface is 25 years old.

As for the other stuff that was spoken I cannot say????
    Last edited by TrackBrat; 10.31.22 at 1:25 AM.
    Chris Buccola track brat since 1986.
    Chicago Region- Corner Worker
    Spec Racer Ford Gen 2 #38

Liked: 95

Quote Originally Posted by triumph76 View Post
    A chunk of RA track surface would be a cool souvenir. Many years ago, when they built the road coarse at the IMS, a friend grabbed a brick from the original surface for me. I value it nearly as much as anything I own. When I show it to people, I tell them that AJ Foyt pee’d on it.
    Jack Bartelt
    Lola T540 CFF

Default Repave

Just received another email blast from Road America; the track will be open to a drive-around after the repave, see below...maybe someone will be going that could report back, maybe even with an incar video?

WANT TO BE ONE OF THE FIRST TO DRIVE THE NEWLY PAVED TRACK?

Road America is once again hosting Track & Treat to give kids a safe and exciting place to trick or treat. Instead of door-to-door trick or treating, kids get to go from trunk to trunk to get candy. We are reaching out to area Road America enthusiasts to help make this a memorable event.

To participate, we ask you bring candy to hand out to the kids — last year we had 500+ kids! In exchange, you can take a special Sunset Cruise after the event on the brand new track for just $20!

?You are welcome to bring a guest and your own trick or treaters (all must fit in your vehicle).

Thread Information