Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 82

Default Billet LD200 end cover

I am thinking about starting to make some billet end covers for the LD200 gearbox with the 3 holes to mount an FC wing. Would anyone be interested in one so i can determine if it is worth the effort to start doing a drawing??

Thanks
    Sean

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 79

Interested, as mine has been damaged and re-welded. O-ring seal as well?

ej

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Quick Jack Tabs

Maybe add tabs or a provision for bolt on tabs for quickjack?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Pretty sure someone is already doing it. I got mine from Scotty Young and I think Pegasus still sells them. Can't remember who made them but they are nice and heavier than the original.

Liked: 160

Scott Church at Gear Daddies did a nice one.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Johnson 42 View Post
    Pretty sure someone is already doing it. I got mine from Scotty Young and I think Pegasus still sells them. Can't remember who made them but they are nice and heavier than the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Clubine View Post
    Are these comments on Covers or quick-jack tabs?

Liked: 59

That's the one that Pegasus sells, with or without two bosses for attaching a rain light.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    I am thinking about starting to make some billet end covers for the LD200 gearbox with the 3 holes to mount an FC wing. Would anyone be interested in one so i can determine if it is worth the effort to start doing a drawing??
    If you could make the width of the wing attachment holes the same as the spacing between the two mount brackets, so no spacers are needed, that would be worth it to me. Both the original and F2000 wing bracket width is too wide for the end cover.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by Lyngengr View Post
    If you could make the width of the wing attachment holes the same as the spacing between the two mount brackets, so no spacers are needed, that would be worth it to me. Both the original and F2000 wing bracket width is too wide for the end cover.
    I attached the spacers to the wing with some small screws to solve that on my 94.
    I've cut some spacers for the 01 to attach and get rid of the round spacers.

Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 82

Default Billet gearbox cover

The one on Pegasus is a cast unit. I have not seen the one Scotty has made? Any pics of his? The one I am thinking of making would have the standard 3 holes for the rear wing and maybe options for a rear lift. I am still in the design stage and am just trying to get a feel to see if it is worth making them. Billet aluminum that size is not cheap. Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sean

Liked: 53

Casting the rear cover is a more cost effective way to produce them. No reason to spend energy on billet/CNC time. Don’t think there is a supply problem? So I’m unaware of the issues your trying to solve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by JLind View Post
    Casting the rear cover is a more cost effective way to produce them. No reason to spend energy on billet/CNC time. Don’t think there is a supply problem? So I’m unaware of the issues your trying to solve.

access to a Foundry that can produce the part in small volumes can be harder than finding a machine shop that will do the same job.

Liked: 1880

Only if you are doing them in enough volume to justify the up-front costs of making the casting patterns.

16. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

I agree with James. I thought the cast ones were readily available and cheap. I like that they have just enough integrity to support a wing, ARB, or jack bracket. All the parts forward of the rear casting are stupid expensive and have availability concerns, I certainly want a rear cover that absorbs impact and protects those expensive components. My experience with cast and billet uprights has contributed to my perspective on this.

Every one that I know removes the rear wing with the cover when changing gears, or separates the rear wing halfway up, which means the awkwardness of spacers between the cover and wing mount is a non issue. Certainly, making a part that was not dimensionally identical to the original, would be bad business.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member Ken Lawrence's Avatar
    Liked: 53

Default Glue the spacers

I just glue the spacers, use what works for you. No problems for several years

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lawrence View Post
    I just glue the spacers, use what works for you. No problems for several years
    Glue the spacers to the cover or to the wing brackets? And what kind of glue? Probably cyanoacrylate since the thickness needs to be very low.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

I have one. MAGNIFICENT!!
    V/r

Iverson

Thread Information