Liked: 59

Default Runoffs Timing Line Change

Registered for Runoffs this morning. So it looks like they are changing the official timing line for test and qualifying to the beginning of the back straight after Oak Tree. My first concern was being able to change the location in my AiM EVO 4 for lap timing and predictive timing. The last part of the excerpt from SCCA.com below mentions contacting data industry experts. Most of the data industry experts are on this forum. Has anybody seen any activity on this?

Official Timing Loop

To maximize available green flag time in the day, SCCA has taken a cue from professional racing organizations, and will shift its official timing loop for both test and qualifying days. For those days (Saturday, Sept. 24, through Thursday, Sept. 29), official times will be set at the South Start/Finish line, adjacent to the South Tower after Turn 12 (Oak Tree Curve). All sessions will receive the green and checkered flag at this station, meaning drivers will be able to pit five corners later, rather than complete a 17-turn, 3.27-mile cool-down lap.
    “We checkered the sessions during the 2019 Runoffs test days at the end of the back straight,” said Deanna Flanagan, SCCA Director of Road Racing. “After analyzing green- and checkered-flag times for those days, as well as those times during qualifying days that utilized the traditional timing line, we learned that several minutes can be gained between sessions if we eliminate the full cool-down lap. On average, the transition time between checkered flag and green flag was more than three minutes quicker during test days. That extra time allows for an entire extra session in the day throughout qualifying, which means one fewer combined-class run group each day.”

Benefits to drivers include the ability to save an entire “in” lap after completing an official timed lap, should they wish to pit and then return to the track. Drivers can also start a hot lap and evaluate if their run up the back straight, through Rollercoaster and Hog Pen, are quick enough to continue the lap, or potentially duck into pit lane.
    While the Start/Finish line for the test and qualifying sessions will relocate, the event will utilize the North pit lane along the front straightaway throughout test days, qualifying and racing, as was the case in 2019.

SCCA is working with data industry experts to develop instructions on how to work with the shift of official timing lines, both with data analysis and onboard lap timers. Details will be posted in the coming months.

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Liked: 3787

Eric,

Wouldn't it be better if it was in front of your condo?

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 59

Love ya, Frog! You've always got the best ideas!!

Hope to see you there....drink a beer on the deck of the villa during all that down time and watch cars cross S/F

Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

IIR this practice was suggested at the Sonoma runoffs.

This should be standard practice every weekend. Shortens the out lap, shortens the in lap.

We all complain about lack of track time. This change improves that.

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 111

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cruz View Post
    Registered for Runoffs this morning. So it looks like they are changing the official timing line for test and qualifying to the beginning of the back straight after Oak Tree. My first concern was being able to change the location in my AiM EVO 4 for lap timing and predictive timing. The last part of the excerpt from SCCA.com below mentions contacting data industry experts. Most of the data industry experts are on this forum. Has anybody seen any activity on this?

Eric

Pretty easy to select a manual start/finish by the menu while on track. Just have to hit the button as you cross the line.

On the other hand, I don't know that I would bother. Your dash time isn't the real time anyway, so just run your best laps and let the chips fall

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 353

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    IIR this practice was suggested at the Sonoma runoffs.

This should be standard practice every weekend. Shortens the out lap, shortens the in lap.

We all complain about lack of track time. This change improves that.

While I'd like to see this implemented for the above reasons, there is one significant impediment. There would have to be an auxiliary timing loop installed and connected to the normal T&S location. It also means no manual timing. No transponder hit, no time. No exceptions.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    It also means no manual timing. No transponder hit, no time. No exceptions.
    I have yet to be at an event where anyone other than crew is manual timing. I had a transponder fail in Q. No time.

Your crew can still time you from their choice of points.

I have no idea what a new loop would cost. At a track like ButtonWillow they have layouts to split the track east and west.
    They have run SCCA events on the west half so I suspect they must have more than 1 timing loop since the main S/F becomes part of neither.

Liked: 852

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I have yet to be at an event where anyone other than crew is manual timing. I had a transponder fail in Q. No time.

Your crew can still time you from their choice of points.

I have no idea what a new loop would cost. At a track like ButtonWillow they have layouts to split the track east and west.
    They have run SCCA events on the west half so I suspect they must have more than 1 timing loop since the main S/F becomes part of neither.
    I'm sure the installation of the timing loop is not an issue.. the issue is getting that information, in real time (the speed of LIGHT), back to T&S. Obviously, VIR already HAS a timing loop at the South tower or they would not be able to make this change. Generally speaking ALL of the Runoffs tracks have at least FOUR LOOPS. They offer 3 segment times, plus a 'top speed' loop in the LIVE TIMING internet pages.

As said.. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to CHANGE the timing line for incar systems... quite a bit of DANGER for not having it right for the race where it might matter much more.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

This is a good change as it gives each competitor the potential for one more timed "at speed" lap in each session before the race. With short sessions on a long track known for BFA and FCCs, this is significant. Not sure why anybody would bother changing it in their data/dash systems. Unlike Steve, I consider in-car timing during the actual race as least important. The key will be in qualifying, when the driver needs to understand where the timing line is.

A round of clap for SCCA's efforts to give us another useful lap in our 18 minute sessions.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

14. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

I wonder if those in Topeka felt the Earth shake under their headquarters building? Problemchild applauded the SCCA for doing good!

Seriously, I have always found Greg to be fair and a great supporter of the sport.

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I wonder if those in Topeka felt the Earth shake under their headquarters building? Problemchild applauded the SCCA for doing good!

Seriously, I have always found Greg to be fair and a great supporter of the sport.
    Well he is "retiring"....

Thread Information