Thread: 2005 Gcr

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 916

Default 2005 Gcr

<rant>

Well, my 'free' GCR just popped through the mail slot. The only problem is that the d**m packaging was so cheesy that it ripped open and the book is torn and soaked. Why do I not feel that this is an improvement over the bad old days when I could simply buy a copy from the local region or race shop?

Never mind. If I were more of a team player I would recognize the transcendant corporate/marketing wisdom of the free/bundled/compulsory GCR. Just like selling race cars. What next - a corporate jet?

</rant>
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 95

Default Canadian

How long do you figure it will take us to get our torn and wet one. We are at least two - three weeks later. Imagine that thing being in the post for an additional 21 days.

Good Luck eh!
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Greg Mercurio

SCCA Recognized that problem and stopped shipping the GCR's to fix the wrapper. I expect they'll replace it if you ask. And yes the compulsory GCR/fee increase was pretty transparent as well.

As to the Jet, they don't need one andymore 'cuz everything will revolve around Topeka ya know?

Liked: 0

Default THe GCR is now free

Relax.
    Just go to the SCCA website and download the section that pertains to your class. Then, print it out 8 1/2 x 11, punch three holes and put it in a binder for track side reference. Use the soggy torn one to block up your car.

Liked: 608

NEXT?........spec air.....and they'll sell it to us

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 930

Default Gcr

The download will not work because it is not considered the "official" GCR.

If someone really wants to get picky, a driver is required to have the "official" GCR in their posession at a race.

Liked: 0

Default It will still work

He can use his pdf copy to read. If he gets into a "situation", he can always pull out the mangled soggy one from the bottom of the drawer in his trailer. I have been involved in two protests and was not asked to show my copy of the GCR in either case. The official read from his and we listened - just like in church.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 916

Default GCR Rant

Don't mind me, guys; I'm housebound with the flu and it makes me cranky. I phoned Topeka today, and they are sending a replacement.

Now, as to the rights and wrongs of this revenue grab with the bundled GCR, don't get me started!
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Spamming the GCR

This may actually end up costing the SCCA (and in turn us) more money as they send them out in January. What percent of the drivers do not renew each year? They now already have their GCR which they will never pay for. But then SCCA never thinks things all the way through.

Liked: 3787

Default In Favor, sort of.

I kind of like the mail out idea. It's half way down the road to progress. You should (must?) have one anyway, why not wrap it up in the licensing process, one stop shopping. No excuse not to have one.

I'll have to go back and look... but I think last Winter I proposed to the comp board a really modern approach. Don't print the damn thing at all. Period. Keep it current on the web site, and let everyone have access to it. Then there is no confusion about version control. Walking around with a GCR with 50+ pages of Fastrack pages stuck in it is so...so... 20th century.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 930

Default Gcr

Actually it is more like going back to what worked long ago.
    Back in the stoine ages when I started this stuff, when one renewed one's license, one got a copy of the GCR along with the license. Only difference is that license and GCR cost something like $20 back then and GCR wasn't half advertisements and was less than an inch thick.

Thread Information