Liked: 0

Default abnormal body proportions and Firesuits...

Reading around a bit and noticed that at least one company makes "odd" sizes for people of a-typical proportions... I'm not THAT out of whack, but had always jsut asumed I'd but a "regular" and shorten the legs 2-3 inches (understanding that its not a simple "hem job" but whatever was necessary could be done).... anything wrong with that idea?

tyring to get started on a budget, but if there's anything I'm encouraged to spend on its safety... wife is expecting and she would like her children to have a father....

any input is appreciated, I'll be racing with SVRA and VSCDA exclusively, at least initially.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Liked: 3

Several companies offer made-to-measure firesuits (Simpson is one of many in the US). Cost varies from "a little more than an off-the-rack suit" to "second mortgage" depending on brand and options.

That said, we offer Nomex thread for repairs and alterations. If you only need length off the legs and/or sleeves, I see nothing wrong with a skilled tailor simply moving the cuffs up a few inches. Don't use this as your first-ever sewing project, even if you just bought a fancy new computerized sewing machine. Leave it to a pro.

If you need length off the torso, then that's not really a viable option. I've looked into it, and the consensus is that it really can't be done. (It would require re-cutting the suit, moving the zipper, moving the sleeves... ) If that's your scenario, go with a custom suit.

Or do like I do -- get a suit that fits in every other regard, and just take it off as soon as you're out of the car (which you should do anyway), and nobody will notice that it's too long!

Liked: 610

Default firesuits

All you need is a drivers suit that is custom sized. I'm not talking about custom designed, but built to your shape. We sell Racequip suits for those just starting out and for $95.00 extra, they will build a standard design suit, to your sizing chart. For extra protection, we have (recommend) the Carbon-X long underwear too!
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff,Inc.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 0

wow, thanks for the quick responses!

I've got more torso than I need, that's the issue! 5-9 with a 28.5" inseam... arms a touch shorter than "normal" IIRC (shirts are 16-33).

I've got a phenomenal hungarian tailor who I'll likely have shorten up the legs a bit with some nomex thread (I'll be calling!)... I flunked out of boyscouts because I couldn't tie knots... we'll not discuss sewing!!!! (that the Lord I can turn a wrench!).

you've been a great help, now I just need to find the right bloody car!
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Liked: 4

Default Carbon-X

I brought some Carbon-X stuff from Keith earlier this year. I highly reccommend it, even if it is a few dollars more then the Nomex. It is so much more comfortable then the Nomex Stuff.

Regards,
    Ambrose
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Thread Information