Liked: 18

Default Testing Sessions

I've always been curious about the length of test sessions.
    We're signed up for the June Sprints and are going to run the test day. The test day consists of 2x35 minute sessions. I'd rather have 4x15 minute sessions so we can try more stuff on the car. Anyone know why we have such long sessions?

[COLOR=rgba(76, 93, 119, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Liked: 857

Because .. THESE DAYS.. the CLEANUP between sessions is often FAR IN EXCESS of the time allocated for the sessions.

The MANY, MANY claims of 'seamless sessions' (delaying "clean up" till after several sessions).. just does NOT sit well with the stewards .. or the owners of the cars that are 'sitting out there' .. SO.. "Seamless Clean up" often includes rebuilding tire walls, distributing OIL DRY, Cleaning up oil dry, getting extraneous racecars and parts off the track, getting race cars back to the paddock area, as well as additional 'unforeseen circumstances'... etc. etc.. and MOSTLY the fact that NOTHING can be done on track until the entire field is under control of a pace car.

At my last race this past weekend we encountered a DOUBLE YELLOW due to a car in the DIRECT RACING LINE.. SIDEWAYS AND DEAD. I was about 5 cars from being caught by the overall group leader (as the leader in my class (FV)). When the FCY was displayed .. and knowing exactly where the 'incident car' was positioned... I "raced" at ~85% for THREE FULL LAPS (excepting the ONE TURN where the incident car was located) before we caught the tail end of the pack and.. only THEN was EV dispatched to retrieve the incident car. THEN.. there was an additional FULL FCY pace lap to "allow the wrecker adequate time"? to get that car back into the paddock area. IMHO, once it was off the track surface, we SHOULD have restarted the race .. but we didn't.

If .. otoh, the pace car had picked up the first car after the spin (which would have probably been me), the faster cars could have caught MY PACK in likely less than ONE lap (they were RIGHT BEHIND US) .. maybe 2. The incident car could've been removed and we could've been back racing in 2 or 3 laps instead of 5. May not seem like much .. until you're PAYING BY THE LAP ... and MINUTE (like all drivers are).

'Back in the day' (when I started racing - before the earth had fully cooled...).. we had THREE sessions per group on Saturday. Of course we had about 20 (maybe 30?) fewer classes back then .. and only ...6 groups? .. and MY class was one of the few single class groups (SRF and SM .. and B-Spec) had not yet been invented). Sessions were ~15 minutes each .. and we almost NEVER had BFA or FCY for the entire DAY. .. and we only had ONE RACE per weekend.. usually with 1 practice and 3 Q sessions - 3 sessions on Saturday and 2 on Sunday (Q3 and race). Lotsa track time and somewhat 'worth the money spent'.

Wow .. have things changed ....
    I FAIL TO SEE, just WHY we have had to add SO MANY additional classes to the mix .. as opposed to ADJUSTING CLASS PARAMETERS to place new cars into EXISTING classes. I see no need to keep adding classes to the point where EVERYONE CAN WIN in his/her class .. even if they are the ONLY CAR IN CLASS.
    Sadly...
    Steve, FV80
    Sorry .. it seems I have taken this thread OFF TRACK and posted mostly my personal feelings about WHY SCCA IS FAILING to properly manage its future.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

3. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 6

Quote Originally Posted by teamfun View Post
    I've always been curious about the length of test sessions.
    We're signed up for the June Sprints and are going to run the test day. The test day consists of 2x35 minute sessions. I'd rather have 4x15 minute sessions so we can try more stuff on the car. Anyone know why we have such long sessions?

[COLOR=rgba(76, 93, 119, 0.5)][/COLOR]
    Most of the test day sessions I do with SVRA or SOVREN consist of four 20-25 minute sessions. As you know, you can pull off anytime to make adjustments.

Liked: 16

I do not know the cause or solution, but we are also going to June Sprints and thus far have not signed up for the test day for this exact reason. Just not sure it is worth missing an extra day at the office for two sessions.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

A 15 min session at Road America is completely useless. The track is long, so outlaps often seem to take forever. By the time you do your out lap, and a get up to speed lap, you will be lucky to get 2 or 3 decent laps, even before traffic issues, and BlackFlagAlls.

If you have not been before, and expect to be competitive, then an extra day away from the office is required. I think the key is to arrive with a car (and driver) that is ready to run for a 35 min session.

As a grumpy old man, who is worn out and tired of being at racetracks run by often arrogant incompetent other grumpy old men, I find the June Sprints a refreshing change, certainly the best run SCCA event in the country. Officials try very hard to avoid FCY and BFAs.
    Last edited by problemchild; 06.01.22 at 12:42 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

7. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 18

I appreciate the feedback.
    Steve - I didn't consider the downtime to retrieve cars as an issue. Yes I have seen that be a problem. As for the rest, totally agree. Thanks.
    TexasDad - What would be the optimum test day schedule for you? How may sessions and how long?
    Dougie - 4x20 would be what I'd prefer too.
    problemchild - Good points and in response I'd say it depends on what you are working on for the session and if you've been to the track before. I have a ton of laps in at RA and I only need 2-3 hot laps to tell me how our car is responding to the changes we've made.
    So in that light I guess I'd amend my original question to ask: What do people really want out of a test day?

Thread Information