Liked: 6

Default Zetec high oil temp but water temp fine

Any thoughts on this?

In a window of about 15 minutes, my Zetec oil temp runs up to 240 degrees while the water temp stays fairly contrast at 185 degrees. If I let it, oil temp would keep rising while water temp does not. Great oil pressure, car runs strong. Unsung Schaefer 9000 oil. Ambient temp was about 80 degrees.

Oil colder is unobstructed and clean and the oil is fresh.

any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks

Liked: 254

Where are you measuring oil temp at? A lot of Zetecs have the temp sensor on the oil scavenge side, right out of the engine. 240F (not C) at that location is no big deal. If you're running a full synthetic the oil is good up to 280 without issue. I run at 260 to 270 regularly with zero issue. Just make sure you run good quality oil and are changing it regularly.
    Last edited by 2BWise; 05.27.22 at 2:13 PM.

Liked: 3325

240C would not be good - obviously you meant 240F...
    Dave Weitzenhof

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 254

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    240C would not be good - obviously you meant 240F...
    Oof, yeah, that was an unfortunate mistype

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by shross View Post

any ideas as to why this is happening?
    Palms Springs in any month but January?

Maybe the oil is not getting de-airyated enough? or not enough oil in the system?

I'm currently changing out the tank cover/filler/return and found my (very old) return just points straight into the tank.
    I was always told to image washing a car and what happens when you stray the hose into the bucket.

Replacing with one of these:
    https://www.primusracingparts.com/Pr...ank_p_255.html

Liked: 804

Numerous similar threads on Apex covering these questions; here's one opinion, YMMV:

Where to measure temp: I want to know the max oil temp in the system, wherever that is, to ensure I'm not burning the oil and breaking it down. Measuring a second location where it's coolest allows me to determine if my cooler is the correct size, and/or if its working efficiently or not.

Cooler location: Oil coolers, whether they are oil/air or oil/water, must have solid oil in contact with the internal surfaces in order to be efficient. Coolers indirectly make great air/oil separators, but are really inefficient coolers when subjected to aerated oil. There's no need to cool the oil you are dumping into the bellhousing. Let the big volume and large metal mass of the BH act as both an aerator and something of secondary cooling effect. Put the oil cooler in the circuit between the bellhousing and the engine.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Thread Information