Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 357

Default analog to digital radio upgrade

I am looking to upgrade my radio system from analog to digital. I have a Club Racing Radios kit now, and since they have gone out of business, I cannot compare hardware there. I have searched online, but have not had any luck finding an answer.

Can I just upgrade the radios themselves, and continue to use the rest of my existing car kit?
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 353

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clark View Post
    I am looking to upgrade my radio system from analog to digital. I have a Club Racing Radios kit now, and since they have gone out of business, I cannot compare hardware there. I have searched online, but have not had any luck finding an answer.

Can I just upgrade the radios themselves, and continue to use the rest of my existing car kit?
    You should be able to do that provided you find radios with compatible connectivity.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    You should be able to do that provided you find radios with compatible connectivity.
    In my case, that was correct. I had to change the headset cables and the helmet cable because the new digital radios had a different pin setup. The screw-in car antenna adapter/connector was also different.
    Dave Weitzenhof

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks, guys.

For reference, I am looking at the more budget Sampson 5-watt radios & their 12" Flex Antenna. Looking at their "Digital 5-watt Starter Package" pictures, it appears my current car harness is identical, but I will double check my car for sure.

Any ideas as to whether the TYT or Baofeng is better for our use?
    The TYT seems simpler, kinda "set & forget", with less buttons to mess up... but is more expensive.

https://www.sampsonracing.com/TYT-MD...-tyt-md280.htm

https://www.sampsonracing.com/Digita...c-dm-1701d.htm

Liked: 353

Thanks, guys.

For reference, I am looking at the more budget Sampson 5-watt radios & their 12" Flex Antenna. Looking at their "Digital 5-watt Starter Package" pictures, it appears my current car harness is identical, but I will double check my car for sure.

Any ideas as to whether the TYT or Baofeng is better for our use?
    The TYT seems simpler, kinda "set & forget", with less buttons to mess up... but is more expensive.

https://www.sampsonracing.com/TYT-MD...-tyt-md280.htm

https://www.sampsonracing.com/Digita...c-dm-1701d.htm
    Both the Baofeng and TYT use the Kenwood K2 connector. There is nothing simple about programming a digital radio compared to analog. There are far more settings, some fairly obscure, and if things aren't matched exactly the radios wont talk to each other. By far the best software package for programming any radio, analog or digital, comes from RT-Systems. You'll also need a different cable for the digital radios.

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    Both the Baofeng and TYT use the Kenwood K2 connector. There is nothing simple about programming a digital radio compared to analog. There are far more settings, some fairly obscure, and if things aren't matched exactly the radios wont talk to each other. By far the best software package for programming any radio, analog or digital, comes from RT-Systems. You'll also need a different cable for the digital radios.

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/
    hmm. I guess that is something I need to consider also then... because I assumed that if I bought a set of radios from them, that they would be pre-programmed before they arrived.

Liked: 3322

hmm. I guess that is something I need to consider also then... because I assumed that if I bought a set of radios from them, that they would be pre-programmed before they arrived.
    Speedcom set mine (car + 2 crew) up - it was really simple on my end. Email: toto@speedcomracing.com
    Dave Weitzenhof

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

They will - and they will save your specific configuration if you need an additional radio in the future.

I had problems with a set of Vertex radios I bought somewhere else and the Sampson team help me resolve the issues.
    Part of which was crappy equipment from a company that sells 'rugged' equipment.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 804

Matt, I dealt with Sampson, very happy experience.
    They'll put in whatever frequencies you want.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 272

Default Speedcom

Just a follow up to Daves post above, Toto at Speedcom passed away earlier this year. The company is being run by his wife but I am not sure that his email is still valid
    Phil

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks to everyone for the help.

I ended up calling Sampson & just ordered a pair of the TYT MD280 radios (a little more than Baofengs, but simpler & less buttons to accidentally mess up). I also grabbed a 12" flat blade antenna to hide inside the car, per discussion in this thread:
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...analog+digital

And I always search for discount codes (because why not) and I found a post somewhere that Sampson has a 15% discount code of "CHAMP15", and that worked... so I saved $60 on top of the sale price. Not bad!

So anyway, hopefully it can all get here in time for the PittRace FRP event next week. Thanks again for all the information & experiences. It's hard to wade thru all the random pages & searching sometimes, and hearing it first-hand is way easier to digest.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information