Liked: 11

Default Some Newbie Questions re Van Diemen (Elan) DP-08 MZR

This is my first post to the ApexSpeed Forums, so thanks for your patience with my clumsiness.
    We just acquired 2 ex-USF2000 Elan DP-08 cars, and I have some newbie questions. Thanks in advance for your kindly advice...

1. OMG. What was I thinking?!? (Rhetorical)
    2. The chassis tags read "F2000 DP-08" Serial numbers are 001 and 004. What year were these cars manufactured?
    3. The seller had very little history of the cars, other than they were purchased from Cooper. The former owner ran a few laps at Area 27 in B.C. but mostly the cars were stored. Anyhoo....there are no log books with the cars. Where (or from who) could I find the SCCA log books for the engines and chassis? I'd like to know their history.
    4. What is the purpose of the black pull-handle in the cockpit marked "Neutral". Reverse lock-out perhaps? The cable runs into the top side of the JL-201 transmission.

5. One car is missing the female-threaded fuel cell cap. Where can I find a replacement? The male-threaded filler neck is 1-1/2 " o.d. The threaded cap is 1-13/32 or approx 36 mm i.d.

6. There is a two-position micro toggle switch under the front cowling that is marked 'Dash' and 'ICARS'. What is this for? And what is an ICARS?

7. There is a lead running to a thumb-sized square module with 2 small LED lamps in the cockpit, facing the driver. What is this for? Here is a picture of the tag on the lead. It reads 'ICARS Dash LED Assy'.

FYI....the data system on board is a PiXpress Clubman and the steering wheel display is a PiXsport 01D-032405-CRR.
    P.S. We plan to run the cars in "Formula Libre" with the NWFC folks this summer, if we can get them sorted in time.
    - Darcy
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1124

WELCOME!

Per your point 1, we’re in the process of the very same thing (in a different class), and had the same thoughts.

Answer: Life’s too short. Have a blast!
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Liked: 286

The Neutral release is required to be pulled to allow the car to go into Neutral from First, and into Reverse from Neutral. You should request a PDF copy the FTR/JFR/JL manual from Hewland.com. Here is the JL-200 page.

The Fuel cap should be available from Elan Motorsports (might now be part of Carl Haas):
    https://www.haasauto.com/elan-motors...f2000-chassis/
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    WELCOME!

Per your point 1, we’re in the process of the very same thing (in a different class), and had the same thoughts.

Answer: Life’s too short. Have a blast!
    Can't take my money to heaven in a u-haul!

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

possible answers

1) Yea, well, they are great cars- where did you get them?
    2) The DP-08 says they were mfg'd by Elan, not Van Diemen, and were early cars so probably around 2012 or 2013? I have 006.
    3) Since they were not SCCA Club cars, there are no log books. You will need to one at a SCCA race if you enter one.
    4) That handle is the neutral/reverse lockout. You will need to pull it to go into neutral from first gear and then again to go into reverse.
    5) Gas cap- call Primus Parts
    6, 7 and beyond- rip the entire data system out of the car and replace it with either AIM or Motec. It's old, outdated and there is no modern software for it. (If you really like it, I have two more complete systems for you sitting in a box). My suggestion is to call Veracity Data and order through them- Dave is a wizard in installation in these cars.

What you haven't asked yet: what map and restrictor is in the cars? In a perfect world, call Zentec Wiring (California), order new chassis harnesses and replace the Pectel ECU with a Performance Electronics PE3, or at least replace the Pectel and get a jumper to the old wiring system. The Pectel is also basically outdated and cannot be repaired when it breaks, but you can probably sell it fairly quickly.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 16

I was wondering where these two would end up, where are you planning to run them?
    RFR F1000 chassis #1

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    possible answers

2) The DP-08 says they were mfg'd by Elan, not Van Diemen, and were early cars so probably around 2012 or 2013? I have 006.
    3) Since they were not SCCA Club cars, there are no log books. You will need to one at a SCCA race if you enter one.
    4) That handle is the neutral/reverse lockout. You will need to pull it to go into neutral from first gear and then again to go into reverse.
    6, 7 and beyond- rip the entire data system out of the car and replace it with either AIM or Motec. It's old, outdated and there is no modern software for it. (If you really like it, I have two more complete systems for you sitting in a box). My suggestion is to call Veracity Data and order through them- Dave is a wizard in installation in these cars.

What you haven't asked yet: what map and restrictor is in the cars? In a perfect world, call Zentec Wiring (California), order new chassis harnesses and replace the Pectel ECU with a Performance Electronics PE3, or at least replace the Pectel and get a jumper to the old wiring system. The Pectel is also basically outdated and cannot be repaired when it breaks, but you can probably sell it fairly quickly.
    Thanks! Yes, I figured the data system was a liability. I got what looks to be a working copy of the software that works with the PiXpress Clubman. Haven't spooled it up yet, so don't know for sure. I will need to find a USB cable with the proper pin-out. Do you have one of those that I can purchase? I hear ya, though...the final answer is likely an R and R job....probably next winter.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    The Neutral release is required to be pulled to allow the car to go into Neutral from First, and into Reverse from Neutral. You should request a PDF copy the FTR/JFR/JL manual from Hewland.com. Here is the JL-200 page.

The Fuel cap should be available from Elan Motorsports (might now be part of Carl Haas):
    Thanks, Dave! Manual request is now sent to Hewland. Will poke Elan.

Liked: 180

Number 7. ICARS is a full yellow light system that the Road To Indy implemented later years into the series. Its not needed now so if you have the module that connects to it you can pull. If not then just leave it for now but know it will never be used.

As for the ECU - If the car is running fine your T2 ECU should last. Yes. PE3 is newer but no need to spend the money now if you don't want to. Just my opinion.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Adriancnh View Post
    I was wondering where these two would end up, where are you planning to run them?
    We intend to run them with the NorthWest Formula Continental, but as "Formula Libre". The NWFC cars are Zetec with 4 spd H. These cars have the Mazda and 5 spd sequential, hence the different class. Races this year that we plan to attend are (at present, assuming we get the cars sorted): Spokane in May, then the new Rocky Mountain Motorsports (Calgary) and Rad Torq (Edmonton) in June-Sept.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post

Hi, Dave. Haas didn't have the cap, but they did provide me with a part number and a lead. Apparently, this is the same cap that is on the Elan NP01. In the meantime, I did find the cap in stock at Primus Racing Parts.

possible answers

Hi, Bob. I did find the cap in stock at Primus Racing Parts. Thanks for that! Apparently, the man is getting released from the hospital tomorrow. Good to hear.

P.S. Do you have an interface cable for the Pectel ECU (USB to 5-pin round) that I could purchase?

Liked: 442

Darcy,

Before the season starts you will need to get the cars tech'd and maybe Uve or Ryan can issue you a FIA log book for the cars.

If you need to borrow the cable to check the pectel stuff just ask the old man.

Roger

Liked: 1124

Quote Originally Posted by Redawgleader View Post
    Can't take my money to heaven in a u-haul!
    Sure you can, but the fees are Uge.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Default USB Cable?

Hi, Bob. In your reply to my recent post, you said you have a couple of old Pi data systems kicking around in a box. Do you have the USB to 5-pin computer interface cable that you would be willing to sell?
    - Darcy

possible answers

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

Hi, Bob. In your reply to my recent post, you said you have a couple of old Pi data systems kicking around in a box. Do you have the USB to 5-pin computer interface cable that you would be willing to sell?
    - Darcy
    Darcy, I'm pretty sure David Ferguson of Veracity Data made up a 5-pin to 9-pin serial cable for me, but you'll need to source a Serial-to-USB adapter for your system if you don't have a serial port.

Liked: 710

- Darcy
    I might have one. I won't be home until Friday and can check then.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Contributing Member

I don't have one that I know of, but I'll root around in a couple of boxes the next time I'm at the shop.
    ----------

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

There is a reason that people take out other older data/dash systems to put in a box on a back shelf, and put Aim systems in their race cars. Just sayin ......
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

23. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Thanks, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    <br>
    Thanks, Mike.

Contributing Member
    ----------

I connected with Brendan and indeed he has a cable. So, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Darcy, I'm pretty sure David Ferguson of Veracity Data made up a 5-pin to 9-pin serial cable for me, but you'll need to source a Serial-to-USB adapter for your system if you don't have a serial port.
    Brendan Pruderbach has some cables for sale in the classifieds. One of them is the correct USB to 4-pin. Lucky me!

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information