Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

Default Eibach or hyperco?

Was looking for some springs and noticed that Hypercos were twice the price of Eibach units. I've used Eibachs before and was pleased. Does anyone have any data to suggest that the Hyperco units are worth twice the price?

Liked: 1

I have used both and both brands rated within 2lb. of advertised rate after a season.
    Some guys say get new springs after each season anyway?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 246

Rick, I use both and have great results with both. Rates are spot on and free lengths stay the same over time. I find cost wise though they are very close but maybe I'm not shopping for the hot deal on any of them. I pay between $110-150 per pair depending on rate and length.

Liked: 998

Default Springs

Hyperco springs are held to much closer tolerances and are the choice of spring for all of the top teams in IRL, CHAMP CAR, F1, WSC, NASCAR, etc.... In that they can afford to purchase and run any make suspension coil, you have to ask yourself why do they run Hypercoils!

Rate is important, but also the dimensional tolerances should be considered. How square is the spring and what is its deflection at load vs other similarly rated springs?

The HYPERCO springs apply forces much more evenly across the face of the final coil thus resulting in an even loading of the damper shaft and reduced friction in the damper/suspension. This problem is further addressed and essentially eliminated by the use of the hydraulic coupling hardware which Hyperco produces.

Springs are not a commodity item and there is a significant difference between the lot. R Pare' can probably add a great deal more to this inquiry.

Regards,

John

Liked: 23

I worked for the factory Toyota off road team and performed a lot of suspension & spring analysis for them. We found in our testing that the stresses in the Eibachs were much higher than in Hyperco (for the same rate spring) causing the Eibachs to reach plastic deformation (or permanent set) well before full coil bound. The hypercos would withstand coilbound without damage (we had 4 springs in series to develop our piecewise rising rate suspension, when the softest one bound, we had 3 in series making the total rate stiffer, and so on.)

This of course was in the early nineties so Eibach may have advanced their materials since, so your mileage may vary.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

Thanks guys!

Liked: 0

To all,

I have used Hypercoils on a wide variety of racing cars over the years and find them to consistently out performance all competition hands down.

Spot on consistent rate
    Closer over all tolerances
    Unmatched dimensional tolerances
    The most over all deflection

I have a source for Hypercoils and any Hyperco product. I would be happy to quote anyone and maybe save them some money. E-mail me direct at Rccrist11@aol.com

Rick Crist
    Last edited by Rick Crist; 01.18.05 at 4:16 PM.

Thread Information