Thread: Pinto fuel pump

Liked: 94

Default Pinto fuel pump

What is the preferred in-tank fuel pump for a 2L Pinto engine? TIA for any help.
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

in tank? That's not a common setup for a pinto. It's usually the standard mechanical pump or an electric one mounted in the same place.

The in-tank setup is a high pressure one for EFI on a Zetec.

Liked: 225

Default Fuel Pump

What Rick said.

The Weber carb doesn't want the high pressure pump. The mechanical is enough to take care of its needs. Or Facet (or equivalent) pumps from Pegasus and others.

I personally run a mechanical pump. I have only been able to find the FoMoCo pump with the fittings pointing in the "right" orientation new from Pegasus and it is pretty high ~$185. Carter makes a good replacement for ~$55 and it is available from RockAuto and others. CARTER - M6564.

Liked: 492

Default fc

Call Ivey Engines 503-255-1123. they have a small inline mounted low pressure pump they recommend that works great.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

What he's not saying is what kind of car/tank setup.

If it's a 99+ VD Pinto will the mechanical pump pull out the top of the tank?

Or do you have to use the in tank pump and regulate/circulate it down?
    Maybe a lower pressure in tank:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-5ca401-1

Liked: 225

Default Pump

Low pressure electric pump needs to be primed. Inject 2psi air into the vent line and it will push the fuel out. Mechanical pump will self prime after cranking. When you spin it over to get oil pressure, that’s enough to get fuel to the carb.

VD RF01.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't realize that folks didn't run a Pinto-engined car with a fuel tower and in-cell pump. I'm actually trying to convert a BDA FAtl car to an in-tank pump and thought that maybe the specs on a Pinto application pump might give me something near the flow/pressure I need.
    Matt
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Pretty sure that back in the day they ran the facet cylindrical pumps - that's what was on my FSV (1700 cc/8000 rpm). The tub even had the attachment points and tank outlet in the right places for this.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...s.asp?RecID=86

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Pretty sure that back in the day they ran the facet cylindrical pumps - that's what was on my FSV (1700 cc/8000 rpm). The tub even had the attachment points and tank outlet in the right places for this.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...s.asp?RecID=86
    Yeah, I was hoping to convert to a tower with an in-tank pump but it seems that the only options for a pump are higher pressure pumps for fuel injection and using a lower pressure pump for the carbureted engine is not an option.
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

just curious - why the desire to go to an in-tank pump? You gain a small amount of external packaging space at greater cost and a bunch of hassle designing a closure for the pump and wiring at the top of the tank, plus a more expensive pump and a much harder job in swapping it out.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. I didn't realize that folks didn't run a Pinto-engined car with a fuel tower and in-cell pump. I'm actually trying to convert a BDA FAtl car to an in-tank pump and thought that maybe the specs on a Pinto application pump might give me something near the flow/pressure I need.
    Matt
    If this was my project, I'd call an engine builder with experience with my type of motor and follow his suggestions. There's always a solution, even if it's not the one we want.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 902

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    Matt
    Facet round pump, electrical, with an in-line regulator, for a BDA. IIRC, no more than 4psi should do it and not push the needles off the seat.

One thing we learned the hard way on my BDA-engined March 78B was that a really long straight at WOT can drain the fuel bowls! So at Mosport, for example, we'd occasionally "run out of fuel" before reaching the end of the back straight if I had a great exit out of 5 and was winding the pee out of the motor all the way to 8. Engine would stumble and slow down, pump would start to refill bowls, off we'd go to 8 and lift to brake - that was the only place it would happen. In the day, I am told what a lot of BDA guys did was fab up "bowl extensions" on the bottom of the carbs to deal with this. I always figured a slightly taller top gear would have solved the problem easily enough, at not much cost to lap times....

good times.

cheers,
    BT

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    just curious - why the desire to go to an in-tank pump? You gain a small amount of external packaging space at greater cost and a bunch of hassle designing a closure for the pump and wiring at the top of the tank, plus a more expensive pump and a much harder job in swapping it out.
    Partly personal preference. The conversion is not a "bunch of hassle" for me, changing the pump is no more difficult, etc.. There are some things I don't care for in the original set up also.
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    If this was my project, I'd call an engine builder with experience with my type of motor and follow his suggestions. There's always a solution, even if it's not the one we want.
    I have information from the engine builder on what he's like to have at the carbs. That's why I'm searching for pumps used in other applications...so that I can compare specs.
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Liked: 324

I ran Carter fuel pumps on all my Pinto's. A few years ago, they changed the part numbers.

P90091
    P60504

These numbers are from my records. One of these numbers is the 'old' number, and as far as I know one of them is the 'present' part number. Do a search for Carter fuel pumps and these part numbers. You should get to their site and find the specs.

There's a crazy number of options at Summit

Contributing Member
    Liked: 39

Default Fuel pump

I ran the Ivey supplied electric pump for years...never any issues!

Thread Information