Thread: reducer bushing

Liked: 709

Wanted To Buy reducer bushing

Before I take the time to make some, does anyone have any 3/8 to 5/16 rod end reducer bushings like the one shown? This specific bushing is used on the rear suspension mounts on the Van Diemen RF90-96. I need 8 of them. Anyone have some spares?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 324

Exactly what you are looking for is not shown here. But, would be worth a phone call or email to see if these guys have something in stock

https://rodendsupply.com/parts/misal...-cone-spacers/

Liked: 121

Brad at primus or Kevin at comprent.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 902

I just bought a complete set for my entire car at BritainWest Motorsport (519-756-1610). David has them made in bulk, pretty inexpensive.

cheers,
    BT

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 648

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    I just bought a complete set for my entire car at BritainWest Motorsport (519-756-1610). David has them made in bulk, pretty inexpensive.

cheers,
    BT
    Bill;

I Googled Britain West Motorsport, to find a race team in Canada. Same folks?
    V/r

Iverson

Yes, same people. Race team, restoration and prep shop, and sell an awful lot of formula car parts. Good people, David and Connor are fair drivers in their own right (Well, young Connor is. David, I know you're watching )

cheers,
    BT

8. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 233

I sent a message to Britain West inquiring about 3/8 --> 5/16 reducer bushings and was told they sell them... for $4.34 each. At 2 required per rod end, that's pretty crazy. I sent a photo of the reducer that I am seeking to confirm we are talking about the same thing as I find it pretty hard to believe that's the price for those (which I have not heard back yet to).

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 225

Default primus

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

Art Smith and I were talking about this last night as it seems the cars have about $400 worth of these things sprinkled around on them depending on your source.

I can see where they might be simulating either a high strength rod end shank bigger than bore) or a high misalignment rod end, but the suspension travel on these things is limited enough mechanically that you don't really get to the high misalignment aspect.

If the smaller bolt is meant to be a mechanical "fuse" it seems the less expensive and less frame damaging route would be to just use shear plates with properly sized fasteners to give way.

maybe one of the chassis builders can chime in on the pros and cons of these things.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

lowside67...

Made in Canada...
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Art Smith and I were talking about this last night as it seems the cars have about $400 worth of these things sprinkled around on them depending on your source.

I can see where they might be simulating either a high strength rod end shank bigger than bore) or a high misalignment rod end, but the suspension travel on these things is limited enough mechanically that you don't really get to the high misalignment aspect.

If the smaller bolt is meant to be a mechanical "fuse" it seems the less expensive and less frame damaging route would be to just use shear plates with properly sized fasteners to give way.

maybe one of the chassis builders can chime in on the pros and cons of these things.
    On my Stohr, every rod end is a 3/8-24 shank but there is a mixture of 5/16 and 3/8 bolts through the bores - 5/16 accomplished through use of the reducer bushings. I also can't help but wonder what the rationale was here - I am considering drilling some of the mounting points on the removable mounts and simply just going to 3/8 bolts with the intention being to reduce the (large) amount of nonstandardized hardware on my car. Failing that, I could then just use the oversize shank rod ends which are certainly not $10/more per rod end.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Quote Originally Posted by old 59 View Post
    lowside67...

Made in Canada...
    Happy to pay competitive rates to buy something Canadian, it's always my first choice. However, there is no way I am going to pay 40% more to buy the same widget made in Canada (if they even are - they could simply be ordered from Primus or whoever Primus gets them from and resold in Canada).

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Default I have a lathe....

.....And I know how to use it! I hate making these things. Pissy, fiddly little work. Mind-numbingly boring. Or I can buy 2 for an equivalent of $US3.44 each because a guy has run several thousand dollars worth of them through a screw machine waiting for my order. Cha CHING! WINNER WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER! It shows up on my doorstep the next day with no import duty. SCORE!

And, hey, they are friends of mine that I like to support.

cheers,
    BT

19. The following 7 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

We all have to remember that these folks are not in the business of making things at cost and then giving them away just because we are racers. It costs money, time and invested work to source, make, and stock these (and other) widgets. It seems to me some of us have the mentality that they are not willing to pay a fair price for a fair product.

If more racers took this attitude these shops (who are barely hanging on) might not be there after all this nonsense is over.

Here we are talking about a price range from $2.50 to around $4.50. You can't make them for that.

YMMV
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

21. The following 8 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    We all have to remember that these folks are not in the business of making things at cost and then giving them away just because we are racers. It costs money, time and invested work to source, make, and stock these (and other) widgets. It seems to me some of us have the mentality that they are not willing to pay a fair price for a fair product.

If more racers took this attitude these shops (who are barely hanging on) might not be there after all this nonsense is over.

Here we are talking about a price range from $2.50 to around $4.50. You can't make them for that.

YMMV
    My car has 36 of these bushings on it, the difference between $2.50 and $4.50 for an identical product is not trivial.

I was surprised that the price is $2.50 for such an incredibly small piece, but my issue is not with that, it's being charged 40% more by another vendor for the same product.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Look Mark, there are a lot of variables at work here.

In 1999, we ran out first 100 units for the non-handed RF98 upright. Yeah, we were the first guys to cast them, and we made a lot of them over the years. What surprised me is how the economics changed every time we did a run:

At the start, we were paying our costs in $C, and selling at retail in $US. In Ontario, there was so much empty casting capacity looking for work that our foundry costs were initially very low. Similarly, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a CNC shop dying on the vine, so those costs were cheap as well. Aluminum costs were close to nothing. We settled on a wholesale price with a retailer, on a handshake (back when you actually were allowed to shake hands)

Within 4 years, aluminum costs doubled. Within 11 years, the currencies moved to par. Within 15 years, a ton of casting capacity shuttered and our costs skyrocketed.

Every time we ran a small batch, our economics were totally different. Yet, for the first 12 years (I am guessing), we never asked for a higher wholesale price. We have about 20 units left, and aren't running any more. If you asked me what the cost basis of those units were, I couldn't tell you.

So let's fast forward to Primus or BritainWest (or the wonderful Keith Averill, or any number of other shops out there). I love both of these guys, and how they support our sport. But I will bet you a cold Canadian beer that they aren't able to tell me the current cash cost (given old inventory mixed with new) of each 5/16" reducer bushing they stock on the spot. I'll bet you a second beer that they spend very little time (as in, zero) comparison pricing those bushings between the two of them because if they did they'd have no time to take phone calls from the likes of me asking what the right crush is for an RF90 front wheel bearing (!). They don't charge for that.

I've never done business with Two Dogg. Called them up last year with a question, and they spend over 40 minutes on the phone with me giving me a good learning on the subject at hand. Am I looking for a reason to give them some business? For sure, and i won't be terribly price sensitive about it.

I'm with you on a gearset price, or an R&P price, or a firebottle price where there are real dollars involved. Also with you on a retailer who is always grossly overpriced on everything. But to make a big deal about a 40% price differential on a $3 part seems a little harsh to me when a guy like David will more than happily take your questions and give free advice over the phone (as will all of the other folks mentioned here).

best
    BT

24. The following 7 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Fast forward

Not to mention Doug at Fast Forward, He gives advice freely, makes lovely parts, and I never ask the price. I just pay the bill that comes with the parts especially for the little parts like these. I will ask for a rough price on a bigger project, but not on little ones. I doubt he makes any money on them given the cost to make the parts.

Get some cheaply made bushings, and you will find that if the centers are not right the bolts get wedged into the bushings or they get stuck in the rod end. Really stuck.

26. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 82

Default bushings

Hi Mike
    I don't have any, but i am starting my small machine shop and could use any work that i can get.
    Please send me an email
    Thanks
    Sean

Liked: 709

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Hi Mike
    I don't have any, but i am starting my small machine shop and could use any work that i can get.
    Please send me an email
    Thanks
    Sean
    Sean,
    Thanks for the offer. I already made a bunch so I'm good for years to come. Good luck with the venture!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 30

Funny replacing my RF84 rear lower heim joints last night and realized the reducer bushings were getting beat up and could easily be lost - was just about to order up from Primus when I see a fellow Canadian business stocking and selling Van Diemen parts ????

Just got off the phone with Laura to order a bunch up and have ZERO issues paying their price vs paying extra shipping and duty from US vendors. (Lately having weekly Pegasus packages arrive that magically add 30% extra in exchange, while duty and brokerage fees zing you an additional 35% at times ????

With the border restrictions being in place for over 2 years - building and racing in Canada has not been cheap.

30. The following 4 users liked this post:

Thread Information