Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    A bit of reading, but both standards are here:

https://smf.org/stds

Here's a Reader's Digest version of the changes. (less than one full page with changes highlighted)

https://smf.org/standards/sa/2020/SA2020_cover.pdf

If I were in the market for a new helmet I would buy a 2020, not because it's vastly safer (in fact I have very little confidence that it would even be a different helmet from most manufacturers), but because I could get 10-11 years of use out of it with proper care instead of only 5-6 if I bought a 2015.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 09.09.20 at 2:49 PM.

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 447

Some potentially useful FAQ's from WindingRoad: https://www.windingroad.com/articles...eid=fead626039
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 679

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    I find it interesting that hans devices need to be recertified every 5 years, I guess that means the carbon tubs must not be any good after 5 years? Webbing, maybe but doubtful! My brother has one of the largely overkill original hans devices and they said they wouldn't recertify it. What complete protect your ass BS!
    Are they really not recertifying the original HANS? That thing would last a century. There is no excuse for that. It's straight up robbery
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 268

Default Helmets

And to add to it these were priced about $1200-1500 back when they were introduced! Nothing but pure BS on their part since these were such overkill as horse collars compared to the units they sell now, thank you lawyers for all that you have contributed to this continuation of BS, hope I can work on your cars at 10 times the normal rate for compensation!

Liked: 208

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Are they really not recertifying the original HANS? That thing would last a century. There is no excuse for that. It's straight up robbery
    A vendor at an SVRA event wouldn't certify my orignal HANS. I think they thought they had me in a corner and suggested I buy a new one from them. I borrowed one for the weekend from a friend. Sent mine to an outfit in Indiana and they certified it. Nothing wrong with the older heavy-duty HANS devices.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    A vendor at an SVRA event wouldn't certify my orignal HANS. I think they thought they had me in a corner and suggested I buy a new one from them. I borrowed one for the weekend from a friend. Sent mine to an outfit in Indiana and they certified it. Nothing wrong with the older heavy-duty HANS devices.

This is a great opportunity to plug a honest racing vender that doesn't try to rip off racers.

The name of the honest vender is ???

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wirtz View Post
    This is a great opportunity to plug a honest racing vender that doesn't try to rip off racers.

The name of the honest vender is ???
    I'm sure it was Ken Joyce. Great to work with when I got my original recertified.

https://www.krjraceproducts.com/services/default.aspx

Here are the recertification vendors approved by HANS: https://www.hansdevice.com/blog/pages/recertify
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

12. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 955

Default So, back to helmets...

I run about 10 event weekends a year plus 3-4 test days/track days.

My melon with its some say "worthless contents" seem to fit best in HJC and Bell. I find that after 5 years of careful use with a nomex hood at all times, my helmet interior is looking pretty tired and worn, particularly the padding around the bottom, cheek pads. I've had Bieffe, mid-range Bell and HJC because they fit well and suit my purposes. After 5 years, the foam has taken a set and the fit is no longer quite as snug as it used to be.

Unless you are using one of the high end pro helmets, buying an SA2015 hat on sale and expecting a good 5 years use is a reasonable strategy.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 208

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    I'm sure it was Ken Joyce. Great to work with when I got my original recertified.

https://www.krjraceproducts.com/services/default.aspx

Here are the recertification vendors approved by HANS: https://www.hansdevice.com/blog/pages/recertify
    Yes, Ken Joyce. I highly recommend him.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 33

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    Yes, Ken Joyce. I highly recommend him.

I did the same with mine that was given to me by a friend. It went to Ken and he even allowed me to drop it off while at PRI to save on some shipping money. Great guy!
    Chris Buccola track brat since 1986.
    Chicago Region- Corner Worker
    Spec Racer Ford Gen 2 #38

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Helmets

Still shopping for my new Helmet. Zamp has some really low pricing on Carbon ones (I have to buy as many less pounds as I can). But I see a lot of people are not happy with their quality. Will keep looking

Note, even though SCCA and others have stated that SA2010 helmets will be accepted this year. The State of NJ has said NO. So if you plan on going to race in NJ don't get caught out with a SA2010 that is accepted in the other 49 States (well except for SVRA events)

Ed

Liked: 233

I think it is worth noting that the standards are a minimum - a helmet that barely passes the standard is by definition less protective than one that passes with a large margin. Therefore, not all SA helmets are created equally. In a sedan, I have never obsessed over helmets, but frankly in an open wheel car I think many of us underbuy helmet protection.

In North America, we largely look at Snell standards but the reality is that FIA standards are far more stringent so buying a helmet that is both SA and FIA rated is likely buying you more protection.

Here are all relevant helmet standards, from best/most protective to least protective:
    FIA 8860-2018 (ABP) - this is the helmet standard that is current in F1
    FIA 8860-2018 - top level standard without the additional ballistics requirements, this is what is used in F2/F3/Le Mans/Blancpain GT/etc
    FIA 8860-2010 - F1 helmets of a few years ago. *these are good until December 2028*
    FIA 8859-2015 & SA2020 - this is FIA's "club sport" helmet. SA2020 is almost identical to this standard.
    SA2015 - the standards of SA2015 are lower than SA2020/FIA8859

It is worth noting that many helmets have one certification or another only because it costs money for each certification, therefore a helmet that is "only" SA2015 might only be rated that way while being plenty strong to pass FIA8859.

However, here is an example:
    The Bell RS7 Carbon was an SA2015 and FIA8859 approved helmet. Penske then partnered with Bell to build the RS7C - an ultra lightweight carbon helmet which was designed to be used by their Nascar drivers. This lighter, "better" helmet actually did not meet the FIA standards because the goal was to make a helmet lighter to only just barely meet Snell standards, which were deemed to be appropriate for a closed sedan car. This makes total sense when you have a windshield, but to me, that completely writes off the RS7C as a helmet I would consider for myself in an open wheel car.

I just bought a Stilo 8860-2010 helmet on closeout. This is interesting because it is rated SA2010 and 8860-2010. Despite being a very old Snell certification, the fact that it met 8860-2010 means it is certain to have met every other standard along the way. However, while SA2010 is going out of date and will no longer be eligible, most rulebooks allow FIA certifications as well - so this helmet will be good until December 2028 despite being "SA2010". For me, this was a great compromise to get a helmet that will protect me at a level I could not otherwise afford at a reasonable price.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 118

So according to the SCCA, a $185.00 Zamp SA2015 helmet is safer than my Bell SA2010 Ultra Series Star GP helmet that is literally like new? Why couldn't there be a "grace period" where for a couple of years after a helmet is "out of date", a tech inspector could go "this thing like brand new!", here's your sticker. I'm not going to buy a new helmet to race 1 MAYBE 2 more years. I feel completely safe in my "old timey" Bell Star GP.

Garry

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Default Bell prices going up?

I just received an email from SafeRacer stating that Bell helmet prices are going up by a double digit percentage on 1/1/22. Anyone else hear about the price increase from a source other than SafeRacer?

Steve

Liked: 679

Several adds say the same. I'd take it as real
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

You're right, I verified with a couple of local suppliers, increases run 12% to 20%. Unfortunately none of these shops had the model/size I'm looking for.

Pegasus will maintain pricing until new stock arrives.

Steve

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    I think it is worth noting that the standards are a minimum - a helmet that barely passes the standard is by definition less protective than one that passes with a large margin.
    I highly doubt that's the case. Most of these tests are pass/fail. Otherwise, you'd see manufacturers touting the extent to which they exceeded the standard. but they don't.

Liked: 233

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    I highly doubt that's the case. Most of these tests are pass/fail. Otherwise, you'd see manufacturers touting the extent to which they exceeded the standard. but they don't.
    Perhaps you misunderstood my post.

As an example, let's look at the $5000 Bell HP77 ABP; one of the best helmets that you can wear in an open wheel - it's a current helmet for F1.

That helmet passes the most strict testing on the planet: FIA 8860-2018. It also does NOT have a Snell rating - it would easily pass it, but nobody that would buy that helmet cares about Snell certification. Therefore, IF they did rate it under Snell, it would pass it the Snell testing, but it would be a much more protective helmet than the "generic" SA2020 rated helmets.

My point is that all Snell SA2020 helmets are not the same and I'd prefer a helmet that is also FIA rated as that is therefore being held to a higher standard.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 278

Agreed, I've seen it elsewhere. BUT I also heard from Keith Averill - when I went in at the beginning of the month to order mine from him, gotta support our local guys! - that the Bell price increase had already dropped (while he was on the phone with Bell!). Have forwarded those emails to him to clarify, but I fear this may be a bit of a bait-and-switch from these advertisers... Sure, you can buy them before the price increase! IF we have them in stock! But we have no stock, because everything's backordered! Can we sign you up for a new order at the new price?

I see nothing clarifying this issue of order vs. price date in any of these emails...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 481

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sharp View Post
    So according to the SCCA, a $185.00 Zamp SA2015 helmet is safer than my Bell SA2010 Ultra Series Star GP helmet that is literally like new? Why couldn't there be a "grace period" where for a couple of years after a helmet is "out of date", a tech inspector could go "this thing like brand new!", here's your sticker. I'm not going to buy a new helmet to race 1 MAYBE 2 more years. I feel completely safe in my "old timey" Bell Star GP.

Garry
    Unfortunately, while you may feel safe in that helmet, if you were to have an accident, your family might see this a a error on the SCCA's part in letting you race with an unsafe helmet. When it comes to safety the rules are driven as much by insurance as by safety and performance......and it is easier on the tech people not to have to make a judgement call.

Right now there is basically a 10 year window if you buy a helmet in the first 2 years of the new standards. So I would buy a new helmet, consider it your retirement helmet, and at the last race turn it upside down and ask for donations to your retirement. You might get enough to pay for the helmet!

ChrisZ

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 118

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    Unfortunately, while you may feel safe in that helmet, if you were to have an accident, your family might see this a a error on the SCCA's part in letting you race with an unsafe helmet. When it comes to safety the rules are driven as much by insurance as by safety and performance......and it is easier on the tech people not to have to make a judgement call.

Right now there is basically a 10 year window if you buy a helmet in the first 2 years of the new standards. So I would buy a new helmet, consider it your retirement helmet, and at the last race turn it upside down and ask for donations to your retirement. You might get enough to pay for the helmet!

ChrisZ
    I know, I was just venting. I will try and find a SA2015 helmet and that will be it. It just seems like such a waste.

Garry

30. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 324

Just received my Bell RS7, after having it on back order since September. I can verify that nearly all of the Bell line has increased by $100 across the board. Luckily my supplier honored the price at time of ordering or I would have probably looked elsewhere. The new price is quickly approaching the next tier of helmets but without any improvements to the last years models

i started playing with vinyl graphics and still have some striping to do before I decide if I like the scheme. My helmets have always been solid colors so this is something new for me!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sharp View Post
    I know, I was just venting. I will try and find a SA2015 helmet and that will be it. It just seems like such a waste.

Garry
    Garry, this is available on the F2000 marketplace Facebook page. It is a medium.
    New never worn Bell K1 Pro SA 2015 helmet.
    Includes new dark smoke face shield. $399 for all Cash Only! # 503 250-1129 Ray Knight

Liked: 33

For those who are looking for a new helmet and are a few months away from your first race.....LOOK NOW!!!!

Helmet supplies are a real pain right now. I was in communication with several vendors on specific helmets and their supply and oh boy it is a mess. One place was told not till June they would have enough to fulfill new orders after their backlog.

I contacted SCCA about this, and if enough of us made a stink about it before the new GCR was published there could have potentially been a chance for a year extension, but that ship has sailed. They also based decision upon what summit had in supply. Um yeah, but sorry not going to summit and don't even seem to get the helmet I would want.

I was looking at a certain brand and working on a custom order with a rep but things didn't go through due to me having to hesitate.

Had a site tease me with a great price for a 15, Arai but it was not to be. That stuck the idea in my head and was on the hunt. I found an unused 15 Arai GP6 PED, for a great price from the UK. This way I can reuse everything I had from my GP6S on the new helmet and save me a bunch of money, with my visor collection alone.

I got very lucky, and as I said if looking to get one do it now!
    Chris Buccola track brat since 1986.
    Chicago Region- Corner Worker
    Spec Racer Ford Gen 2 #38

35. The following members LIKED this post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information