Liked: 10

Default Need Steering Quick Release

My F500 has a lot of slop in the steering that I am fixing this winter. New rack & pinion is totally rebuildable. But my el-cheapo steering wheel quick release also has some slop. A steel hex welded to the 5/8" shaft (yah, my welder can fix that), and an aluminum hex hub. I tried a new Aluminum hub, same slop.

As I will probably have this car until I die (hopefully 3-4 years or more. . .), I want a long term fix. I don't want to run a season, half a season with slop until I'm sick of it again.

So, I figure splines. Easy enough. But then I say (as my main competitor does and has), the only way to stop this is steel splines against steel splines. The ONLY unit I can find on the internet or catalogs is in Pegasus, the SPA Involute.

Behrents 2002 catalog shows a steel one. But a quick call there shows part number dropped. A call to the manf., Bicknell, says they have a few on the shelf in Canada. A further questioning finds that all their hubs have aluminum splines, even the "neat" new part that says steel hub. Steel release ring, Al hub splines.

So I call my knows-everything guy, and he gives me a name and number, currently out of stock but they have and are cheap. Sure, guy says, steel hub. A call by him to the manf., Woodward, shows that the steel version is a steel release ring, Al splines. (????!!!!!) Apparantly Woodward made steel-steel at first, but too many complaints of the unit rusting together after a rain. . .

RaceTech in UK may make one, hard to say. U.S. vendors are sparse on info.

Nothing on ebay, or around here. Anyone have a source cheaper than pegasus? Anyone a fan of steel-Aluminum? I notice that some less expensive ($49) units have 16 splines, and some mid-priced ones ($79) have 26.

Thanks!

Liked: 0

Default SPA Quick Release

FWIW, I have the SPA quick release and like it a lot. Probably not the answer
    you were looking for. Although Pegasus is a good source and supports us, there
    are also other SPA dealers around...

John

Liked: 33

Default Splines - think ahead

How will you attach the "aluminum splines" to the steering shaft. Another bolted joint? Use steel and have it welded.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 931

Default quick release

The splined type is the way to go if you want no play, particularly if you plan opn keeping the car for a while.

Most catalogs actually say with the hex type that there will be some play.

It is really a matter of you get what you pay for.

I have had both types and won't even sonsider the hex type.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Look under the couch cushions and raid the piggy bank! The cost of a quality quick release hub is worth it. After all the steering wheel [and your butt] are the places that tell you what the car is doing. You won't regret it.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Buy the SPA with the involute splines. If you insist on staying with the el cheapo hexagonal one, drill and tap the Quick change hub. Then put a set screw in the hub and tighten it till it just drags on the hex on the steering shaft. This will remove most of the slop, but will have to be adjusted to maintain the fitment. Ues a flat bottom set screw with a nylock insert and a half high nylock nut. They will minimize the chances of the assembly loosening. Buy the SPA with the involute splines.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Buy the SPA with the involute splines. If you insist on staying with the el cheapo hexagonal one, drill and tap the Quick change hub. Then put a set screw in the hub and tighten it till it just drags on the hex on the steering shaft. This will remove most of the slop, but will have to be adjusted to maintain the fitment. Ues a set screw with a nylock insert and a half high nylock nut. They will minimize the chances of the assembly loosening. Buy the SPA with the involute splines.

Liked: 0

3 steering wheel quick release couplings at the link below

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZracecarguy4

Thread Information