Liked: 130

Default Need new racing shoe.....

30 years ago I was using the Simpson leather boot. I still have my old pair I keep as back-up.

After my hiatus from racing I bought the same boot and have used them now 4-5 years. The bottom is now unglued and I tried re-gluing and it didn't work so well.

Extended family is demanding a xmas list and I thought the boots would be a good listed item.
    I have no idea what is a better boot and thought who better to ask than you guys !!

Please chime in with your suggestions, need soon as the natives here are getting restless.....
    Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery...

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by Allan31 View Post
    30 years ago I was using the Simpson leather boot. I still have my old pair I keep as back-up.

After my hiatus from racing I bought the same boot and have used them now 4-5 years. The bottom is now unglued and I tried re-gluing and it didn't work so well.

Extended family is demanding a xmas list and I thought the boots would be a good listed item.
    I have no idea what is a better boot and thought who better to ask than you guys !!

Please chime in with your suggestions, need soon as the natives here are getting restless.....
    No particular recommendations, but several (10?) years back, Simpson had an issue with the Chinese rubber (urethane?) soles - they basically delaminated from the shoe and also fell apart. Simpson would not warrantee them even though they had been used for only a couple of races. My old ones from 20+ years ago are still my spares.
    Dave Weitzenhof

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    No particular recommendations, but several (10?) years back, Simpson had an issue with the Chinese rubber (urethane?) soles - they basically delaminated from the shoe and also fell apart. Simpson would not warrantee them even though they had been used for only a couple of races. My old ones from 20+ years ago are still my spares.
    Yea, that's funny, I'm in exactly the same situation, the olde ones from 30 years ago are still going strong, new ones, not so much....
    What ones are you using now and do you like 'em?
    Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery...

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Yea, that's funny, I'm in exactly the same situation, the olde ones from 30 years ago are still going strong, new ones, not so much....
    I’ve gone through 5 different brands of shoe over the past few years, trying to find one that will hang together AND provide the pedal feel I like. Sparco, Simpson, Alpinestars, and OMP all came apart, some after just a few weekends. I’m in a lot of different racecars for clients and the cars where the foot box heat is high really causes the shoes to come apart quickly. The only ones that have hung in there have been the Adidas Daytona. The styling is a bit much for my taste but the performance has been excellent from GP cars to FF’s and even in the torture chamber that is the footbox of my Super 7.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Heel and toe is somewhat important but I very rarely use the clutch.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

Allan Buttrick

Liked: 605

Default sole width

I was surprised to find that no new shoe's sole was as narrow as my old shoes that had the sole come unglued. The width caused a problem in the foot box for feeling of the pedal separation. I ordered and returned 2 or 3 pairs before I kept a pair of Sparco X-Light even though they were not as narrow as my old pair. They're OK after racing with them twice....but the Shoe-Goo repair of the old ones using clamps and broad pieces of wood after applying the goo and waiting about 48 hours are yet the ones I'm racing in. The new Sparco are the back ups.

By the way Allan31, you don't look like you'd pass the 'stick test'

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    I was surprised to find that no new shoe's sole was as narrow as my old shoes that had the sole come unglued. The width caused a problem in the foot box for feeling of the pedal separation. I ordered and returned 2 or 3 pairs before I kept a pair of Sparco X-Light even though they were not as narrow as my old pair. They're OK after racing with them twice....but the Shoe-Goo repair of the old ones using clamps and broad pieces of wood after applying the goo and waiting about 48 hours are yet the ones I'm racing in. The new Sparco are the back ups.

By the way Allan31, you don't look like you'd pass the 'stick test'
    "Stick test", do you mean my helmet height below the top of the roll bar? If so, yes, I do pass. As an FFCS board member, I ABSOLUTELY have to pass it !!
    Allan Buttrick

Liked: 225

Default Tight space big feet

Ran Simpson low top shoes for years and had to replace mine a few years back.

I had to trim the rubber sole of my new right shoe to be able to use them and not have my right foot snag between the brake and throttle. Trimmed with a SHARP blade, sanded smooth with a 2” coarse disc on a pneumatic 1/4” right angle grinder. Go slowly and just take off what is needed. Worked great.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Heel and toe is somewhat important but I very rarely use the clutch.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

Those look identical to my old Pyrotech shoes. 8 years old. I have 1 small area of sole separation that I believe happened because they were jammed and twisted in my bag.

I suspect several of these are made in the same factory..

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

I still use the Simpsons that my mom bought me for Christmas in 1987 I've never raced a car in another pair of shoes except the 10 races I did in a DB4 where I had to cram size 12 feet into size 8 Simpsons.

Shoe Goo is your friend !

Google it.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 40

Stand21 is my preference. I get about 5 seasons out of a pair, running 15-20 weekends per year. AlpineStars have been the worst...these lasted 2 weekends before falling apart.

Sparco RB-8's

I really liked the Simpsons better - a bit more flexible and just a simple shoelace but the Sparco's are OK. They are more expensive than the Simpsons.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 553

Like others, I liked my old Simpsons, then had to by a new pair in 2019, bought new Simpsons and they are already coming apart. Disappointing.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    Shoe Goo is working remarkably well on two different pairs of shoes that are otherwise fine. Apparently all brands of the lower-end (and some high-end) shoes are coming out of the same China factory.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Default Urethane Reversion

The issue with the Simpson soles is that the urethane absorbs moisture from the air and slowly reverts to its pre-cured state losing most of its tensile strength. Some urethane formulations are more susceptible to this than others.

So even if you glue it back on, the sole will still fall apart.

This is not the only time I've seen that sort of chemical reaction.

I had some noise absorbing/insulating urethane foam sheets on the inside of my '74 Chevy van's bare steel body. After 15 years or so it reverted to a sticky mess which was very hard to clean up.

From the Internet:
    PU foams can deteriorate rapidly; visible consequences of degradation can appear after years of natural degradation. The main visual signs of degradation are discoloration, loss of flexibility, and crumbling, which occur under influence of moisture, heat, and light.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 1880

"Stick test", do you mean my helmet height below the top of the roll bar? If so, yes, I do pass. As an FFCS board member, I ABSOLUTELY have to pass it !!
    The test - for the SCCA at least (unless it has been changed) - is that you have to be below a stick that is placed both on top of the main roll bar and the top of the dash hoop.

Default From the GCR

ROLL CAGES FOR FORMULA CARS AND SPORTS RACING CARS

The main hoop shall not be less than 2 inches above the driver’s helmet, seated normally and restrained by seat belt/shoulder harness. A straight line drawn from the top of the main hoop to the top of the front hoop shall pass over the driver’s helmet.
    Dave Weitzenhof

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Bernard Bradpiece's Avatar
    Liked: 182

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    The test - for the SCCA at least (unless it has been changed) - is that you have to be below a stick that is placed both on top of the main roll bar and the top of the dash hoop.

Allan's car runs to the 1972 GCR.

Maybe one reason the vintage guys (Formula Ford that is, you know, the Cortina engined cars - all carburetors and such like) get 40 cars at an average meeting and the SCCA gets about 2. But lets not get started on the competence level of SCCA and its disastrous effect on open wheel racing generally, yet another new chapter of which is unfolding as we write.
    BB2

Contributing Member
    Liked: 481

For off the norm

has anyone tried either the Crow

https://www.wescoperformance.com/aurashbycr.html

or team di

https://www.teamdi.com/product/teamd...o-racing-shoe/

ChrisZ

Thread Information