Thread: Bob Bondurant

Liked: 324

Default RIP Bob Bondurant

I just saw on the tv that Bob Bondurant has passed.. I was fortunate to meet him when I attended his driving school.

a lot of us would not have a license without his school. A great racer, he will be missed
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 1417

Default Bob Bondurant

1933 - 2021

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 41

So sorry to hear this. My car and I were invited to participate in a commercial that he did for Texaco. He wanted his Texaco Stars stamps before he would leave the pits after refueling Danno from the original Hawaii was also there. Orange County Raceway in Calif. A long time ago! RIP

Liked: 295

Bob was a central character in whuppin Ferrari's ass in sports car racing!

Liked: 162
    There is a glitch in the continuum...

Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default Bob

I worked several Ride and Drive events with Bob and his chief instructor Randy in the Detroit area and spent a lot of time with him during those events before my wife and I attending the 4 day licensing school in 1998. Bob remembered us and took us for a "behind the scenes" tour of the school and introduced us to most of his staff, including the mechanics. He was very cool about everything, just as he was when we put on the Ride and Drives at the Ford Dearborn Proving Grounds. I learned a lot from him even during those events.

At one point during our drivers school, we were hot lapping in the orange Mustangs when a white convertible pulled onto the track far in front of me. I worked hard to catch it, getting close enough to realize that it was a Jaguar and the driver was not wearing a helmet. After a few laps it pulled off into pit lane. The next lap, I saw it parked in front of the office. It was Bob just coming into work for the day.
    Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information