Thread: Zetec Clutch

Liked: 79

Default Zetec Clutch

Last weekend, I blew my clutch at a track day. When I disassembled, I found that I have a double disc set up. The slave/clutch release was destroyed. It has been suggested that I switch to a single disc.

Can anyone suggest a source for the proper length clutch release/slave and base plate? Brad has none in stock. My base plate/pilot tube now is a 44mm OD, and don't know if it will work with the single disc system, and if so, what size stroke to get.

thanks,

ej
    Last edited by ejsprint30; 09.25.21 at 8:09 AM.

Liked: 324

Default Parts in AZ

I sent you a PM through this site. I think I may have the parts you are looking for.

GF

Great...thanks, I just responded to your PM.

Having never been inside a Ztec clutch system before, I am not sure what I have that failed is even correct in the first place.

What I removed was a Tilton 62-808 44mm clutch release. It has 2 mounting ears that were not even close to matching up with the bolt holes on the base plate with the pilot tube. It seemed to be held in place only by the o-ring on the pilot tube. Is it normal to let these "float" ...seems like it would want to vibrate into the clutch springs all the time. To me it would be simple enough to make a tab linking one of the release ears to a mounting hole. My clutch pedal never came with a pedal stop to prevent over travel...this will be addressed.

Anyway, the goal is to replace this system with a single disc set up.

I'll post a few pics later today,

ej
    Last edited by ejsprint30; 09.25.21 at 8:10 AM.

Car is a 2012 Elan DP08 with Quicksilver Ztec
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

My bad...above deleted...never post before coffee in the morning... it's a zetec, not MZR, duh. You should be able to get everything you need at Pegasus regardless.

Get the replacement parts from Pegasus:

Tilton 800- and 8000-Series Hydraulic Release Bearings | Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
    Last edited by Bob Wright; 06.21.21 at 9:54 AM.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Thanks Bob, was going to ask the same question this morning for my 01 VanDieman. The Mounting height of 1.82 seems to be what I have now so that works

Have a single plate Quartermaster now, can you tell me the Pegasus part # for the dual plate clutch that matches up with the Tilton 8000? Are the single and dual plate assy's the same height?

Have had nothing but problems with the slave cylinder this year and it's killed me every weekend. Would just as soon replace everything and get back to normal. You know it's a bad year when your brother gives you a tow strap for a birthday present.

Thanks

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Have been in touch with Scott Young, and he can match up components to make me a 44mm bearing contact slave with the exact stack height that will work with my existing support plate/pilot tube. He requires 2 dimensions, and I should be good to go

I just checked my crank end play, and it is still spot on, sigh of relief!
    Last edited by ejsprint30; 06.21.21 at 10:53 AM.

Liked: 180

I am having issues with my clutch assembly as well. Does anyone know where to get this cover for the oil tank. Mainly need the one with the housing that the slave slides onto.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Johnson 42 View Post
    You know it's a bad year when your brother gives you a tow strap for a birthday present.
    I like your brother and don't even know him

Sorry for your troubles but thanks for the chuckle!

Brian, if your pedestal/slave (oil tank cover) mount is intact, regardless of pilot tube size, Scott can get you the correct parts you need. You will have to give him a few dimensions so he can set your stack height.

He was adamant about making sure you have a clutch pedal stop...after assembly, put car in 1st and slowly push in clutch with someone pushing. When it starts to roll, add 1/4 inch and set your stop at that point. He felt part of my issue was over travel.

Scott Young 972-737-8047
    sy-gearboxes.com

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by ejsprint30 View Post
    He was adamant about making sure you have a clutch pedal stop...after assembly, put car in 1st and slowly push in clutch with someone pushing. When it starts to roll, add 1/4 inch and set your stop at that point. He felt part of my issue was over travel.

Scott Young 972-737-8047
    sy-gearboxes.com
    Did he specify what master size that is based on?

Good question...I am assuming a 3/4 but I will ask...a 5/8 should be a little more than that

While waiting on parts, I made this to install new pilot bearing...should make this pretty simple

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Just wanted to follow up on this...assembly went smooth. Calculated a .200 air gap between T.O. bearing and clutch spring fingers before bleed. Went from a 3/4 master to a 5/8 and eliminated a little over an inch of pedal travel with a stop.

Have done 2 full track days, and clutch operation is flawless, and so much easier to navigate thru the pits with a deep 1st gear. (I do not use the clutch to shift).

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 605

I was surprised that I could get a clutch through QuickSilver.

Liked: 63

Glad to hear all is good EJ
    Scott Young
    Scott Young Enterprises
    scotty@sy-gearboxes.com

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information