Liked: 1

Default Ford 105E motor and transmission

For Sale:
    1959/60 Ford 105E motor and transmission. 996 cc.
    Complete engine and trans, without carbs, but including intake and exhaust manifolds. Running when removed from car in converting sport racer to vintage race configuration and replacement with Coventry-Climax SOC race motor. Make reasonable offer.
    Bill Demarest
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

I believe that forum rules require an asking price.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default more info?

Is this a "race prepared" engine or nice looking stock job? Do you know any info on internals...cam, crank (stock/fancy/undersized), bore, pistons/rods, CR,.....? Saw just a bit of intake manifold in one photo...looked like maybe for side draft Webers and not stock manifold/carb....yes/no? same on exh. How ancient of a build?

As to clutch/gearbox... know what's there? like ratios, rocket, dog or synchro >>>.synchro'd first? spring or diaphram.

Appears maybe something you didn't do, so may not know much, but anything you can add will help.

(and yes, site rules want a price, so maybe you could give a min. .....call it starting price? 'tis hard to know value/market on stuff like this until you post, then get hit with that rule before anyone asked about items... Alternative is to put 6 figures out there and work down?)

Thanks.

Bob L.

Default Ford 105E motor answers

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L. View Post
    Is this a "race prepared" engine or nice looking stock job? Do you know any info on internals...cam, crank (stock/fancy/undersized), bore, pistons/rods, CR,.....? Saw just a bit of intake manifold in one photo...looked like maybe for side draft Webers and not stock manifold/carb....yes/no? same on exh. How ancient of a build?

As to clutch/gearbox... know what's there? like ratios, rocket, dog or synchro >>>.synchro'd first? spring or diaphram.

Appears maybe something you didn't do, so may not know much, but anything you can add will help.

(and yes, site rules want a price, so maybe you could give a min. .....call it starting price? 'tis hard to know value/market on stuff like this until you post, then get hit with that rule before anyone asked about items... Alternative is to put 6 figures out there and work down?)

Thanks.

Bob L.
    Bob,

Thanks for your inquiry. Motor came out of a 1960 sport racer restored by a third party as a street car. The rest of the restoration had been done to a high (not concourse) degree, so I assume the same for the motor. I was advised that the motor had been “gone through,” and assume that meant replacing potential wear items like gaskets and seals, but not that any major parts had been replaced, so I assume street and not race prep.

Other than that, and the fact the little bugger spins right past 7,000 rpm quickly, I don’t know anything about the internals of the motor or trans. The trans shifted easily and there wasn’t any slippage in the clutch. No low-end torque, but that’s to be expected from a 996cc motor with short stroke. Torque and hp seem to come on like gang busters after 5,000-5,500 rpm.

For converting the car it came out of back to race configuration I’m replacing the 105E with a 1.5L Covington-Climax SOC full race motor I had built in the UK this summer.

The intake manifold is for twin side-draft Webers and the manifolds are not shown in photos. Webers are NOT included in sale. Full exhaust can be included as well (also not pictured as the exhaust had to be removed before pulling the motor from the chassis).

Hope this answers your questions.

If given a thorough checking before race application (which I assume any buyer would want to do), the motor could be perfect for an early Vintage FJr race car. Otherwise I only know of its use in the English Ford Anglia, and not much call for that over on this side of the “pond.”

Apologies about lack of a price. Really have no idea about value. Would like to see a piece of vintage hardware like this preserved and used — if only as a potential donor source of spare parts — rather than trashed. I’m sure someone can use it; probably a FJr vintage racer. Anyway, let’s say best offer over $1,000 plus shipping? Does that satisfy forum rules?

Feel free to contact me with any other questions and I will try my best to respond.

Motor is located in Winchester, Va. Probably could deliver next Monday to SCCA run-offs at Indy, or next season at Summit Point, VIR, or Road America, to save shipping cost.

Best,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    I believe that forum rules require an asking price.
    Sorry John. How about best offer over $1,000 plus shipping.
    Bill

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

Bill, correct me if I’m wrong but I believe this is a three main bearing crank.
    Have you pulled the valve cover off?
    Are the rocker shaft supports cast or machined from steel?

Best,

Chris

Thread Information