Thread: E.J. Generotti

Contributing Member
    Liked: 39

Default E.J. Generotti

Longtime Florida Region SCCA member E.J. Generotti passed peacefully on February 18, 2021. His son, Jason, drove the family's Swift DB-1 to a Bronze Medal at the Daytona Runoffs a few years ago. E.J. bought that car BRAND NEW back in the day. Much love to my fellow Florida Region Family as they struggle to deal with E.J.'s passing.

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Very sad to hear this. EJ was always fun to be around and was instantly a friend the first time we met.

My heartfelt condolences to Jason and the entire Generotti family.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 605

remembered well

Liked: 303

Default Great Loss

EJ a long time Formula Ford fanatic was well known in the small bore single seater community. Always cheerful and social, he walked around the track with the biggest smile on his face. Other than racing, EJ was an incredible family man and a huge NHL fan.

EJ is someone that I grew up around, I remember as a small child we would would visit him at his home in Plantation, Fl and I was fascinated by his small collection of vintage/retro items. He was a great conversationalist and the type of person who could entertain the entire room with his many exciting stories. EJ's beloved DB1 that he originally drove, was later taken over by his son Jason, who he shared a lifetime of interest in racing with. He was a big fan of Mario Andretti, IndyCar and the work of David Bruns. EJ always knew about the hottest Italian place in town and introduced me to one of my favorite dishes- Penne alla vodka.

He loved his wife Debbie and children- Jason and Stephanie very much. He stood proud to be there Husband and Father.

He was always around to lend a hand and have a good time.

We will miss you EJ, may you rest in peace...

Godspeed,

Jon
    Last edited by Jonathan Lee; 09.05.23 at 5:34 PM.

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Wow, this is a shocker. I don’t remember what year or what race I met EJ, but I do know I always enjoyed when I would see his name pop up on my phone. Larger than life personality, always guaranteed to make me laugh. Haven’t spoken with him in a year or two, but I was thinking about him the other day when working on a DB1 and thought “I should give EJ a jingle one of these days.”

Rest in peace.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

7. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

There was no such thing as a short phone call with EJ.
    Great guy!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 995

So sorry to hear of EJ's passing. I don't recall the first time I met EJ, but he was an immediate friend. Our common interests in the law and racing likewise made for long conversations! My thoughts to EJ's family, he was much too young to lose.

https://www.tmralph.com/obituary/ej-generotti

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 229

Default sad news

A visit with EJ at our winter races was always a highlight. I too enjoyed the phone calls that came every so often and it was quite evident of his love of FF. Jason, you had a great teacher, he was very proud of you and boasted on you when we talked. He will be missed by many, condolences to the family and no doubt large group of friends he had. RIP EJ.

Brian.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 160

What a shock, EJ was a great fellow with a big heart, always a pleasure to talk too. Condolences to Jason and the family.

Liked: 375

My dad raced FF with EJ in the 80's, and then Jason and I went to our first driver school together at Moroso 20+ years later (back when it was still only partially neutered). The dude just loved being at the track and had an entertaining story for everything.

One of my favorite memories will forever be the emotion he showed during Jason's Runoffs podium interview at Daytona. Incredible human being.

16. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

Whether it was being one of the biggest cheerleaders at the FF40th, even developing a trophy of his own design, or... every time FRP had a meeting at the PRI show , when it was in Orlando, E.j. figured out some way to get the DB1 displayed on the convention floor.

Maybe FF's biggest all time cheerleader!

Liked: 679

What a loss, to his family, and to his many friends. EJ was always such a fun guy to talk too, a larger than life personality, and an FF fanatic to the end. He even bought not one, but two of my DB-1 sculpts. I have a picture of his Ferrari T-4 decanter [empty of course] that he got in Italy after visiting the factory. He was just the kind of guy who'd charm the folks there to the point they'd give him something that you probably couldn't have bought from them. And of course, to hear him tell the story of how he got it was...well, it was pure E.J. He will be missed.
    Last edited by swiftdrivr; 02.23.21 at 9:56 AM.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 105

Default Two great racers gone in the same weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Lee View Post
    EJ a long time Formula Ford fanatic was well known in the small bore single seater community. Always cheerful and social, he walked around the track with the biggest smile on his face. Other than racing, EJ was an incredible family man and worshiped hockey.

EJ is someone that I grew up around, I remember as a small child we would would visit him at his home in Plantation, Fl and I was fascinated by his small collection of vintage/retro items. He was a great conversationalist and the type of person who could entertain the entire room with his many exciting stories. EJ's beloved DB1 that he originally drove, was later taken over by his son Jason, who he shared a lifetime of interest in racing with. He was a big fan of Mario Andretti, IndyCar and the work of David Bruns. EJ always knew about the hottest Italian place in town and introduced me to one of my favorite dishes- Penne alla vodka.

He loved his wife Debbie and children- Jason and Stephanie very much. He stood proud to be there Husband and Father.

He was always around to lend a hand and have a good time.

We will miss you EJ, may you rest in peace...

Godspeed,

Jon

RIP EJ

What a great guy! Always sharing his vast knowledge. He used to drop by my shop regularly ‘on his way home’ when I lived in
    Ft Lauderdale. He would scrutinize my FF from stem to stern and always left a gem of wisdom. When He learned I was a hockey player he would light up and tell me how great a player Jason is. When he met my wife Diane at the track they became instant friends. He later told me I ‘married up’! He said he knew this because he also married up to Debbie! Never forget the s... eating grin on his face when he drove up to my garage at Homestead a few years ago with his new to him classic 911 Porsche, a real beauty! I asked him if he would sell it to me when he was done with it. He said ‘no way Jason is getting it!’ At the Daytona runoffs I overheard him tell the father of another driver how great it was to crew for their sons. what a great man I will miss him.

Two great racing friends gone in the same weekend. The other
    Mike Campanelli.
    Last edited by Hartley; 02.23.21 at 9:41 AM.
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 15

RIP my friend!

I enjoyed racing with you many many years ago in FF. But most of all having our sons racing each other in FF the last 20+ years with us as their crew has been the best.

Several years ago EJ drove his 997 to our trailer at Homestead and we talked for about an hour. The topic, how much fun it was to be racing with our sons and competing with each other.

EJ will be missed! We will be thinking of Debbie, Jason, and Stephanie.

Dave Livingston Sr

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 127

I just heard this news today and to say I am crushed is an understatement. EJ was long time friends with my father in law and brother in law, before I even started racing. Then when I started, he immediately treated me like I was one of the "regulars."

Since that first year, I have not had a more supportive racing friend. On this thread, a bunch of people mention EJ's phone calls. Perhaps it was our love of racing, or maybe it's my job working with the Panther's arch rival Tampa Bay Lightning - but boy oh boy did I get phone calls from EJ!
    Sometimes during hockey season we'd talk every other week. He'd complain about the Panthers and tell me how close they were to winning it all. Passionate. Absolutely loved hockey.

When I won at Laguna in 2014 - he was one of the first people to call me. He watched every minute of the race and told me how I should have won by more! Then, in 2015 at Daytona, he wanted to go after the official, in my defense, when the full course caution fiasco happened. He called me after every big race. Win or lose. Passionate and so supportive. Lots of advice of course!

Man was he proud of his family. Debbie, Jason and Stephanie. They were absolutely the highlights of his life. So proud of both of his children. He constantly bragged about Jason's ability. Steph lived in Tampa and I used to tease him that she would always like the Lightning more than the Panthers.

I am absolutely heartbroken today. Reading these notes I'm sure a lot of people can relate. Tears filled my eyes when I realized that the last time he called me - just a couple weeks ago, I wasn't able to take his call. I was too busy at the time. I knew we would be on the phone for a while.
    I wish so much that I would have just answered that call. What I wouldn't do to have that opportunity again.

Rest in peace my friend. Please watch over all of us racers and give us a boost when you think we need it. Prayers and hugs to Debbie, Jason, Stephanie and family.

Rob Allaer
    FC #52
    Last edited by rallaer; 02.25.21 at 5:47 PM.

24. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 6

this is so sad , big john or e j, as a new comer in fl i had only known ej for about 16 years , but he was always a great friend, had many a long chats about him racing his db1 in the uk for a couple of years , you couldnt pass ej without a long chat ,always charming and will be sorely missed

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

EJ
    Great Friend
    Great Family Man
    Pretty good racer in his day.
    Pretty good wrench.
    Not much else to say.
    Will miss him.

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default EJ bled Yankee Blue

Wow, how’d I miss this sad news.....I know how.....but what a huge loss for all. EJ was bigger than life. While we met over our mutual love of FF all we ever talked about was the greatest game on earth, baseball. He was always happy to talk baseball bemoaning the fact that nobody in the paddock cared about the ‘stick and ball games’ as he called them. He’d call me in Feb and alert me to how many days until pitchers and catchers were due in spring training. I truly believe he looked more forward to opening day each year more than the first green flag of the year. He would live and die for the Yankees and that was all he needed to be a great friend.
    RIP EJ

Liked: 82

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this post. EJ was such a sweetheart. I'll never forget him calling after my stuff was stolen to offer his help to get to the Runoffs. Truly he was one of the nicest people I'd ever met. The track won't be the same.

Meg Sauce
    SowDiv FF#10

Thread Information