Thread: Corner weights

Liked: 108

Default Corner weights

During a recent scaling of the car I found a 30lb difference in the front. I then realized I forgot to disconnect the sway bars. After disconnecting I was relieved to see a 5lb difference in the front and 3lbs in the rear. Should I be concerned about the difference with the bars connected?
    Thanks

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 2004

There should be no difference in corner weights with either the bars connected or disconnected. Adjust your links so that there's no preload on the bars.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

3. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 865

You need to be able to adjust at least one of the drop-link lengths so that you can reconnect the bar without introducing wedge into the chassis.
    If neither drop link can be adjusted, I strongly suggest having one made, it won't be expensive, a short piece of tube with a left and right hand thread rod end.

edit; Mike typed faster than I did :-)
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 108

I get it
    Thanks

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 872

I find that there is always a difference with new tires. I always scale the car with the new tires, sway bar links disconnected, then adjust the links to slide on with no resistance. The links stay that way until the next set of tires.

Also, I'm not re-scaling the tire with used tires. I may make changes to adjust the handling for a particular track and conditions but I'm not changing weight balance on the scales with used tires. Between "klag" and different wear rates side-to-side, I didn't find accurate results on the track from doing that.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 110

Don't forget to do the tyre pressures first (I just put 20lb all round but some people put their hot pressures in). Use your good race guage.

Its worth measuring the circumference of each tyre first (at a standard pressure); you need the same numbers left vs right. I know some folk that put 60psi in the smaller tyre and put them in the sun for a hour, reset the pressure and check the circumference. Repeat as required. I know others say this wrecks the tyres (or does not work). We did this lots with kart tyres if you were not able to rat through the pile and find pairs that matched.

Liked: 3

Default setup

When setting the car up I would always start out with pressures. For the Crossle 25f/32f I would start with 13lb fronts and 15lb rears (slightly higher than I might run), disconnect the bars and begin. But, there is ride height, toe, camber, to consider as well. I used to have to string the car because I was doing it on the cheap, but it worked. I would make sure that whatever the weights, they were a close as I could make them. They were often even in the front, and within 3-4 lbs. in the rear.

Thread Information