Liked: 26

Default Players Atlantic ECU Debugging

I am trying to decode what EFI USA did with the serial bus (RS232) on my "Players Atlantic ECU" so I can start logging from it, I did pose the question to them but information wasn't forthcoming unless I wanted to talk about their new ECU's.

The ECU is a “Players Atlantic ECU” originally made by EFI USA back in the early 90’s for the Players Atlantic Championship and If you still aren’t sure what ECU I am talking about I did a write up at http://www.formulapacific.nz/?p=44, I plan to do another write up once I have the whole thing figured out. Even if you can't help this information may be helpful to someone who wants to keep the original ECU going.

With the following port settings:

Baud = 38400
    Parity = None
    Data Bits = 8
    Stop Bits = 2
    Hardware Flow Control = RTS/CTS OR DTR/CSR (either worked in the program I was using for debugging)

I only need to send it the hex “3F” or in my case I was sending “0x3F” via my debugger and the ECU will reply via clear text:

?010.0 +014 29.7 +00% 03.47 03.00 10.0 00000 +013 12.7 -030 045 +00% +00.0 41.1 41.1 +016 006 0.00 0.30 0.30 0.60 000 000 00654

The numbers meaning:

? = Every time the ECU replies it leads with a hex of 3F that is translated to a ? In the terminal
    010.0 = TPS %
    +014 = Air Temp (C)
    29.7 = Barameter (Hg)
    +00% = ?????????
    03.47 = Final Injection
    03.00 = Current Milliseconds Fuel as per Map
    10.0 = Current Degrees Timing as per Map
    00000 = Engine RPM
    +013 = Water Temp (C)
    12.7 = Battery (Volts)
    -030 = ?????????
    045 = ?????????
    +00% = ?????????
    41.1 = ?????????
    41.1 = ?????????
    +016 = ECU Temp (C)
    0.00 = ?????????
    0.30 = ?????????
    0.60 = ?????????
    000 = ?????????
    000 = ?????????
    00654 = ?????????

It looks like it will do up to 20hz just by me sending constant “3F” so its a good source for engine data once I integrate it with my logger.

I also found I can also send it "0x23 0x41 0x3f" to start it pushing out the error mode stats:

000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 00140 003:41 9.96 0.00 10.4 13.9 +008 +026 09868 255 000 000 115 033

The tripple zeros are number of errors received:

000 Pick-up sequence
    000 Throttle Sensor
    000 Baro Sensor
    000 Water Sensor
    000 Air temp Sensor
    000 ECU box Temp
    000 Engine Over Rev
    000 Battery Voltage
    000 ????????????
    00140 = Engine Serial
    003:41 = Engine Clock (Hrs:Min)
    9.96 ???????????
    0.00 ???????????
    10.4 = Min Battery Volts
    13.9 = Max Battery Volts
    +008 ??????????? <-- Gut feeling is min air temp
    +026 ??????????? <-- Gut feeling is max air temp
    09868 = Max Engine RPM
    255 ??????????? <-- Gut feeling is max error count
    000 ???????????
    000 ???????????
    115 = Max Water Temp (Deg C)
    033 = Max Air Temp (Deg C)

The end goal is to get my Aim MXm dash logging the RS232 output from the ECU and Aim have said they will look at supporting it if I do all the figuring out.

Bonus content:

23 41 3f = Put into error data mode (#A)
    23 39 3f = Put into engine data mode (#9)
    23 42 = Exit Cleanly
    31 30 30 46 46 37 30 23 = Clear First Error Value (#100FF70) <---There are a heap of values it clears but this is just the first.
    23 31 38 31 46 46 39 34 3f = Raise Fuelling 1 click from baseline
    23 31 38 32 46 46 39 34 3f = Raise Fuelling 2 click and so on
    23 31 38 31 46 46 39 35 3f = Raise Timing 1 click from baseline
    23 31 38 32 46 46 39 35 3f = Raise Timing 2 click and so on

Last bonus content, I could never figure out why changing the fuel trim or timing in the DOS application wouldn't stick until now, It turns out every time the DOS app connects it sends the command to set back to 0% adjustment so while it appears like its not sticking, it's just resetting it every time you connect.

So while it's really early EFI tech it's still pretty powerful. It's would be great if anyone here knows what the ???????? might represent otherwise that's my storey!

Liked: 313

Sounds like a cool project. Also reminds me of the time my teenage daughter was so UNimpressed with the fact that I knew the hex code for all the ASCII characters, 0-9 and A-Z.
    I'm not making fun of you. Really sounds like a cool project.

I've got back onto this project and am writing a python app that can handle reading/editing/flashing of the ECU maps and logging of the live engine data. I have questioned why I am bothering given how few still use these ECU's but it's been a fun learning experience.

On to why I am posting, I stumbled across a way to change(cheat) the fuel and timing that cannot be detected by the Official TRD DOS exe as the changes aren't to the main fuel or timing maps, the only way you could even pick up the difference is because the final injection value differs versus what the map should actually be at (I suspect I have stumbled across some compensation maps that isn't the cold start map that the DOS exe is aware of)

Flashing a new map over the top via the DOS exe will also not wipe the changes made as the DOS exe doesn't use the mode I have stumbled across. The problem I now face is that I don't know what the original values were so my spare ECU is no longer a spare until I figure this out.

So my public service announcement is don't send random data over serial to your ECU as you just might luck out and change something no one was ever meant to be able to change

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1908

Would the original manual and installation instructions for that system help, because I have them from 1994
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Would the original manual and installation instructions for that system help, because I have them from 1994
    I'm past needing the manual as I am editing things outside the scope of any likely documentation, plus I've pulled apart the dos application and have a reasonable idea about any capability they included for the end user.

In saying that it wouldn't hurt to have a look if you have a pdf? I am most interested in the ability to change the logger Hz as the DOS exe suggests it's possible, I just haven't found the binary to do it or a way to unlock the menu in the dos application (it want's something plugged in to enable this feature in the menu)

I've got the python app pushing and pulling maps and have created a .XDF that allows tunerpro to edit the main maps. Feels good to not have to rely on on the DOS application to interface with the ECU now.

I am also a bit disappointed there is only the option for 16x16 tables in the ECU, but it is possible to change the RPM and TPS points for both the Fuel and timing maps (something the DOS application won't allow but will work with once changed).

Attached Images Attached Images

6. The following members LIKED this post:

I got around to scanning the TRD EFI ECU manual if anyone wants a copy - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fda...ew?usp=sharing

I know one person wanted it but I can't recall where they messaged me so hopefully you find the above. It contains wiring diagrams as well as parts diagrams for the TRD EFI stuff.

This project is a few steps forward since my last post, I have decoded a lot of the ECU itself and am now pushing into building my own hardware to interface with it instead of using the official box that sits in the middle.

In terms of logging I now have a Raspberry Pi as a piece in the middle taking the Serial messages from the TRD ECU and sticking them on the CAN bus so my Aim dash can display/log the ECU metrics as well as the Raspberry Pi sending the data over 4G to my servers and providing live engine/car data remotely.

I am probably taking this project a bit far as the interested audience that will benefit from the work is probably only 1, but it's a fun learning exercise getting modern day functionality out of 30 year old tech. I'll do a proper write up once I am finished.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 272

Default Efi

I read this thread with amusement as we have been maintaining a number of mid 90's EFI systems in historic cars - primarily Riley and Scott WSC and Calloways. It was interesting when we did one for a Roush WSC engine that I got a call from them asking if it really was that simple as far as ignition and fuel ,maps - things have come a long way!
    Phil

Liked: 268

Default Ecu

Reading all of this makes me thankful for creating the fuel system I have on my BMW V12 which is basically a Hilborn constant flow system. A pump, barrel valve , main jet , secondary and 12 simple nozzles with holes in them. Certainly not as efficient but easy to work on, tune , great throttle response with probably not great fuel economy and thankfully no computers!

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 49

Jerry you have a pm

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Jamez View Post
    I got around to scanning the TRD EFI ECU manual if anyone wants a copy - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fda...ew?usp=sharing

I know one person wanted it but I can't recall where they messaged me so hopefully you find the above. It contains wiring diagrams as well as parts diagrams for the TRD EFI stuff.
    I guess that was me, many thanks for posting it! Now only to find my missing TB parts!

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information