Liked: 0

Default Looking for Jimmy Vasser Croslee

I work for Jimmy Vasser at his dealerships in Napa, California. Jimmy is trying to find and purchase his old race cars that brought him up to the Champ Car Series. We have his old Formula Atlantic and just found his Formula 2000 Van Diemen that we just purchased.

I am looking for his Croslee Formula Ford 1600 that he raced in 1984. The chassis was a vintage 1982 or 1983. Unfortunately, I don't have the chassis number however the log book for the vehicle would have his name and victories in it.

Question to members. Can you give me some ideas on how to locate this?

Thanks,
    Bob Kleis
    Asst. General Mangager
    Jimmy Vasser Chevrolet Toyota
    Napa, CA
    bob@jimmyvasserchevytoyota.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 865

mmm...I recall he ran a Swift DB6, not a Van Diemen, in the Export A series, because I ended up with either his, or his teamate's car (I can't remember, but I suspect I got Morillo's car). It was converted to a FF and then rolled up into a ball in a race a couple of years ago.

The Crossle would most likely have been a model 50 or 55 for that era.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Default You are right

Yes, you are correct. It was a Swift and not a Van Diemen. We just found the Swift in Texas and Jimmy bought it.

Any help on the Croslee would be great. I do not have the racing knowledge so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice holiday.

thanks,

Bob Kleis

Liked: 1

Default looking for Vasser Car

You are most likely loking for a Crossle 55F or if he was driving an 1984 vehicle it could have been a 60F. I looked through "The Anatomy & Development of the Formula Ford Race Car" and they do note Vasser as driving a Swift DB-1 in 1986 with a national champioship at the Run Offs. If you could obtain a copy of this book, you might be able to show Jimmy the Crossle section and at least narrow down the chassis. The book is/was published by Motorbooks International.

Good Luck

David Keep

Default Vasser Croslee

The car is a Croslee 34 with 40 bodywork. It was originally run by Pete Weldy then sold to Jimmy's dad. Pete had an accident in 1980 or 1981 and Croslee sent him a new frame which was the one that Jimmy had. Jimmy ran it in 1984 for all the races until that last two. He then ran a Swift in the last two of that season then they sold the Croslee.

Thanks for your help on this. With all of the assistance from Pete Weldy and Neil Porter, we are narrowing it down. We may find this yet.

thanks,

Bob

Contributing Member
    Liked: 865

If its any help in your search- I seem to recall the 34 chassis was quite rare. It was extra long and may have been built with the idea of using it for Supervee. There were a lot of 32's ( I owned one) and 35's around in the late 70's and early 80's, but the only 34 I ever saw in the northeast was part of the Skip Barber school/race series circa 1980-81 (for very tall drivers-it would fit a 6'5" person quite well).

Good hunting.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Thread Information