Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Default Standard Suit and Driver "Shapes"

Looking at getting a new suit and I'm looking for information and discussion about Manufacturers and "Shapes".

I can look at a sizing chart and be 'mostly' one size, but weight and chest bump be up 2 sizes.

My current suit (Pyrotect) for example, is tight in the thighs, arms, and shoulders and the legs are of course long.

So, which manufacturers give room?

Liked: 225

Default Safe-Quip

My last suit purchase in 2018 was a custom suit for less than $600. 3 layer nomex.

tracksidetim.com

Quote Originally Posted by JHerscher View Post
    My last suit purchase in 2018 was a custom suit for less than $600. 3 layer nomex.

tracksidetim.com
    I think I read he retired!

Liked: 482

Not sure how to quantify “room”
    I’m 6’ even. Or 5’12”
    180#
    I’d say I have average thighs, I’m no running back...

I really like my 2017 OMP suit and is seems roomy in the legs. Always had Simpson before that and those seemed more snug.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 78

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I think I read he retired!
    I don't think so, unless he did that suddenly. I saw him at every race in the Southeast this year, and bought a new HANS from him about 2 months ago.

I just bought a new Alpinestars GP Tech V3 suit that is unbelievably light weight compared to my older Alpinestars suit that is more like a fire blanket. They have them on sale now at a greatly reduced price on the Alpinestars web site.

Recently Stand21 had a 20% off sale for custom made suits, but I'm too much of a cheapskate to pay their suit prices, but love their shoes.

My new GP Tech V3 suit is plenty roomy, but I'm a pretty standard Euro Size 50, and fit OK into an RF97 if that tells you anything.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Not sure how to quantify “room”
    I really like my 2017 OMP suit and is seems roomy in the legs. Always had Simpson before that and those seemed more snug.
    Yes, comparative snugness help.

From what I can deduce, AlpineStar might be more running-back that Sparco.
    Alpine gives thigh dimensions and I'd wear a size 2 or 3 smaller than Sparco.

Anyone have real experience to confirm that?

Liked: 225

Default Tim

Trackside Tim passed away a few years ago, I think early 2019. The business he started is still active.

In my case the turnaround time was less than 2 weeks. The first suit I bought from them lasted 20 years.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 241

This is timely as I've been reading, and speaking to dealers, trying to find the best option for me to buy a suit, given that I am in Canada and have limited ability to return, etc.

I am short and stocky - 5'6 and 150lbs. Not particularly fat, but just generally stocky throughout my build.

What I have been able to deduce is that OMP is most generally the "broadest" fitting of the European manufacturers all the way through their fitment - chest, waist, thigh, etc. Alpinestars is a little bit slimmer but still in the same ballpark and people tend to wear the same size or +1 going from OMP to Alpinestars.

Sparco on the other hand seems to fit MUCH slimmer - I'd need to go +2 sizes up to get something that fit my chest and waist.

I also had the comment from one dealer that many of the brands start cut a bit more generous in their bottom of the range suits and as you get to the top suits, they start getting cut that much tighter.

Ultimately I just ordered an OMP Technica Evo out of the UK on Ebay at 65% off MSRP.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 482

Yes, comparative snugness help.

From what I can deduce, AlpineStar might be more running-back that Sparco.
    Alpine gives thigh dimensions and I'd wear a size 2 or 3 smaller than Sparco.

Anyone have real experience to confirm that?
    I'll get specific measurements of my thighs and specs of my suit later. There probably should be a database... although I'm sure it all changes yearly...

Banned
    Liked: 1116

When I sold suits the brand that seemed to fit better on the "harder to fit guys" was https://www.leafracewear.com/

I'd just get a custom suit so that you're comfortable.

I don't know about OMP being a "roomy" suit, perhaps that depends on where you need the room If I look at the current OMP chart (my last suit was an OMP), I'm all over the place on their size chart from 48 all the way to 58!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    I don't know about OMP being a "roomy" suit, perhaps that depends on where you need the room
    THAT is the big question. I typically can't wear anything 'fashionable' because apparently guys don't have legs or arms anymore.
    Arms and legs are typically too small.

I'm 5-11.5 and 215 but the charts - to fit - put me at a size 62 because of chest and weight. Waist and gut aren't the problem.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    This is timely as I've been reading, and speaking to dealers, trying to find the best option for me to buy a suit, given that I am in Canada and have limited ability to return, etc.

I am short and stocky - 5'6 and 150lbs. Not particularly fat, but just generally stocky throughout my build.

What I have been able to deduce is that OMP is most generally the "broadest" fitting of the European manufacturers all the way through their fitment - chest, waist, thigh, etc. Alpinestars is a little bit slimmer but still in the same ballpark and people tend to wear the same size or +1 going from OMP to Alpinestars.

Sparco on the other hand seems to fit MUCH slimmer - I'd need to go +2 sizes up to get something that fit my chest and waist.

I also had the comment from one dealer that many of the brands start cut a bit more generous in their bottom of the range suits and as you get to the top suits, they start getting cut that much tighter.
    I can't speak on Sparco or Alpinestar, but I second OMP for a "relaxed" fit.

I'm 5'9" and about 190 lbs (ranging up to 205 with COVID weight, and down to maybe 180 if I'm in great shape) and I bought an OMP (from Driver's Edge—plug!).

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 447

I'm 5'6" and 175lbs. I had to test fit a bunch of Alpinestars suits for correct fitment in my shoulders and waist. I ended up with a 56 Euro sized suit which is a little long in the legs, but everywhere else is ok when wearing shorts and/or Carbonx underwear.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 195

THAT is the big question. I typically can't wear anything 'fashionable' because apparently guys don't have legs or arms anymore.
    Arms and legs are typically too small.

I'm 5-11.5 and 215 but the charts - to fit - put me at a size 62 because of chest and weight. Waist and gut aren't the problem.
    I'm about your height and weight with long limbs, 34 inch inseam and sleeve length. After trying on suits at Pegasus, I bought an OMP Sport 2 layer in size large which fits great. According to the sizing chart I should have needed an XL but that was way too large.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    I'm 5'6" and 175lbs. I had to test fit a bunch of Alpinestars suits for correct fitment in my shoulders and waist. I ended up with a 56 Euro sized suit which is a little long in the legs, but everywhere else is ok when wearing shorts and/or Carbonx underwear.
    What other suits have you tried for comparison?

Liked: 447

What other suits have you tried for comparison?

I originally had a Momo suit, but can't recall the size. It fit well, but was hot and heavy. I had tried on Puma at the time I was in the market, and there wasn't any way I was fitting into their suits unless I wanted to have the suit arms and legs adjusted. It seems like most manufacturers design their suits around a much skinnier built driver. I don't know if it's a "Euro-fit" type thing, but hips and shoulders were the parts that didn't fit.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 324

Quote Originally Posted by douglap1 View Post
    I just bought a new Alpinestars GP Tech V3 suit that is unbelievably light weight compared to my older Alpinestars suit that is more like a fire blanket. They have them on sale now at a greatly reduced price on the Alpinestars web site
    I moved up to an Alpinestars Supertech and I was shocked at how light it was.. I was almost wondering if it was a fake, they are that light! I’m a bit larger than you, but have no issues with the fit (thighs were an issue with some suits). I see they are on sale at multiple sellers, expensive if you pay full price.

my old OMP was a snow suit in comparison, and my Sparco wasn’t much lighter.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

I've been looking at the Sparco Victory suit. But it seems they are on the narrow side.
    https://www.sparcousa.com/product/victory

Any feedback on these? Hocotex?

Do you believe the 3 layer protection in 1 layer?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    It seems like most manufacturers design their suits around a much skinnier built driver. I don't know if it's a "Euro-fit" type thing, but hips and shoulders were the parts that didn't fit.
    I know things have changed a bit since I was in the business of retailing safety equipment. Generally suit brands that are common with road racers are a slimmer fit as drivers are "generally" in better physical condition.

Brands of suits that are marketed/built to the drag racer, roundy-round and desert racers are a more generous cut.

Flame away---I'll go get my suit on.

27. The following 2 users liked this post:

Banned

Do you believe the 3 layer protection in 1 layer?
    Depends on what those layers are, their weave/knit and their thickness.

Breathability and the ability for the suit to pull moisture away from your skin is much more important than the extra weight of a suit.

Liked: 536

Are there any other old fat guys out there that have successfully bought "off-the-rack" and if so, what kind? Not in the $900 and up range, either.

Ever get a long suit that needed hemming? Nomex thread and have a normal tailor do it?

Liked: 58

Some years ago I could't find a suit that fit my squatty body well so I went with a custom suit from Hinchman. Fit was wonderful and the quality was great. Yeah, it cost a few bucks but was worth every penny.

That they also do (or did at the time) suits for most of the Indy guys was a pretty good endorsement, too.

31. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 956

Keith Averill reps Design 500, also custom measured to fit, proudly American made for a reasonable price.
    http://racing-stuff.com/design_500.htm
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Keith Averill reps Design 500, also custom measured to fit, proudly American made for a reasonable price.
    http://racing-stuff.com/design_500.htm
    I don't know if this has changed:
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...l=1#post578828

Liked: 956

Sorry to see them go. They made an excellent product.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Stand 21 all the way. Once you have a tailored suit, you’ll never go back to off the rack. They are more comfortable, fit better in a driving position, don’t bunch up, and look professional (and set you apart from the same 5-6 different suits you see in every paddock). Yes they’re expensive. I just ordered my second one today, and they’re worth every penny.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Contributing Member
    Liked: 77

Default Omp

Agree with the gentleman. I’m 5’9” and 220. OMP size 62 fits a tad snugly but Sparco too tight. I just got a nice OMP on sale for $550 or so from Saferacer in Miami.

QUOTE=lowside67;616734]This is timely as I've been reading, and speaking to dealers, trying to find the best option for me to buy a suit, given that I am in Canada and have limited ability to return, etc.

Ultimately I just ordered an OMP Technica Evo out of the UK on Ebay at 65% off MSRP.

-Mark[/QUOTE]
    Hybels

Thread Information