Liked: 0

Default Seeking Reynard Pics from 1984 Runoffs

Hey all,
    I am looking for pictures of my 84 reynard that was originally the 1984 FF RUNOFFS championship winning car, Driven by Jackson Yonge.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Jeff Handley
    Reynard 84sF
    cainesgrandad@yahoo.com · www.reynardowners.com
    "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."Roger Penske

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

I took these at the dip.

Mark, Thank you so very much!!!!!!
    I have wondered for some time now how my car started life and have just today been able to find out.
    I cannot thank you enough for the photos.
    There seems to be a gap I havent been able to fill from this year (1984) to the first SCCA log book issued in 1985, the first race at a Blackhawk National, 5/25/1985 as a FF2000, #91, Red on top and white on the bottom. I cant make out the driver/ entrant name, as with most signatures, but on 6/15/1985 at another Blackhawk National it looks to be a Craig Richey as the driver/ entrant.
    Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?
    Last edited by JHandley; 12.23.09 at 6:55 PM.
    Jeff Handley
    Reynard 84sF

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

wasn't JY DQ'd that year for shimming the differential solid? I was there working tech that year and I seem to remember a lot of issues in teardown.

We hit the road just as the GT-1 race took the green when that monster thunderstorm rolled in....

Liked: 11

I remember this car, I rented it from Craig Richey for the July/Aug 1985 national at Blackhawk Farms. The car had newish white bodywork and carried number 7. I think it was the car that Craig had a tragic accident with Tiga F2000 car of Ted Stevens at the first 85 national at BHF,explains the new fiberglass. The new Farley motor blew up during the race for me but even then the car was in kind of rough shape.

Yes Rick the legality of the car after the Runoffs was initially in question due to a shim in the differential. If I remember correctly the shim only worked when the diff heated up so in the paddock it acted like it was open. His Runoffs victory was allowed to stand because it was somehow "proven" that his Division or Region didn't receive a rules clarification issued during the season on the shim issue.
    You should have stayed for the GT-1 race, it was quite memorable.....

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

one of the corner workers described the sound of the GT1s going off into the trees (and each other) as " a bunch of car doors slamming"

I was in the pits so I didn't get to hear it. Dave Despain ran a video of the crashes on Motorweek Illustrated the following Saturday. It was very scary.

Thanx for helping fill in some blanks, guys. Seems there should be an asterisk after the runoff win!!!!
    From the log book entries dating 5/25/85 to 5/26-27/2001 there is no indication of any incidents.
    Of course the incident on the weekend of 5/26-27 of 2001 was explaned in another of my theads by the esteemed mr. frog.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19704
    Jeff Handley
    Reynard 84sF

Liked: 14

Jackson car and win generated some of the most heated letters ever written to Sportscar magazine. the magazine more or less described the win as hollow which was total bs. Car passed all of the tech procedures. Yes it took advantage of a loop hole but it was legal as teched. Many of the most decorated drivers in the club wrote in to the mag in defense of Jackson. Next year the 'shim' rule was added.

Your avatar is a 2 liter ? I wish the car would have stayed a 1600, its great piece of SCCA FF history. The car that beat the DB1 in the Swifts first full year of comp. The Bren brothers were 2nd and 3rd iirc.

On a side note a couple of years ago the shim language was taken out of the GCR. Havent looked to see if its back in or not.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Thanx for that insite, Kevin!
    In an email I recieved from Adrian Reynard he did state that this chassis did carry some historical significance as a Formula Ford.
    Jeff Handley
    Reynard 84sF

Quote Originally Posted by JHandley View Post
    Mark, Thank you so very much!!!!!!
    I have wondered for some time now how my car started life and have just today been able to find out.
    I cannot thank you enough for the photos.
    There seems to be a gap I havent been able to fill from this year (1984) to the first SCCA log book issued in 1985, the first race at a Blackhawk National, 5/25/1985 as a FF2000, #91, Red on top and white on the bottom. I cant make out the driver/ entrant name, as with most signatures, but on 6/15/1985 at another Blackhawk National it looks to be a Craig Richey as the driver/ entrant.
    Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?
    I was at the Blackhawk race May 25-26, 1985 covering the race for a small magazine.
    I wish I had more info, but if what I've put together is correct in the May event Craig Richey ran in the FC race. This is from the results page of Motorsports Monthly for the event.

Pic in the original size is to larger to post here so go to
    http://mwphoto-misc.smugmug.com/Cars...Qjrxv/Original

If my eyes don't fail me and if my pic was a little clearer scroll over to the rollbar and see if the name looks like Craig Richey. Under the pic you'll see sizes, click on L for a smaller image. Also go back to pic #8 where car #22 is in the background.

Hope I have the right car and info for you!
    Mark Windecker

Wow, memories

Hopefully I can fill in some of the events for you

Jackson Younge was leading the 84 Wnter National at Palm Beach in a Reynard ( my guess is it was yours) when he had an off course excursion. This was bad for 2 reasons. He lost the race and Adrian himself was there. Adrian was not happy I was standing next to him and he was pretty upset.

The shim incident. Who cares! If you ever saw Jacskon Younge drive a FF at Road Atlanta you would agree there is no more deserving champion. AMAZING car control
    For reasons of disclosure I also ran the shim it was pretty common.

I was in the FC National in 85 and paddocked next to your car. The scene I saw on track and after the crash are forever with me. Out of respect for Ted I will not go into details but tears come easily to me when I think of that day.

Craig Richey ran a Pro S2000 in 1986. I crewed for him that summer and by that time your car had been sold to whom I don't know. Craig is still involved in racing with Indy cars.

Even as an FSU grad I always liked the fact that Jackson painted his cars in Gator orange and blue.

Kurtis Goertz

Thanx Mark and Kurtis.
    Filling in some blanks very well indeed,
    I really appreciate these posts!

Kurtis,
    The log book indicates Craig competing at Moroso 1/11/86, then what looks to be a Charles Blinner(?) competing at a St Louis double ntional 5/26/86

Jeff
    Last edited by JHandley; 01.24.10 at 11:58 AM.
    Jeff Handley
    Reynard 84sF

Jeff, I don't know Charles but as I mentioned Craig moved on to running a Pro S2000 team the spring and summer of 86 and got rid of all of his formula cars.

Kurtis

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default arcane FF trivia query

did the Jackson car also have an intake manifold "potted" in foam insulation?

Liked: 9

Another example of Jackson Yonge's car control (yow! bringing back my SportsCar memories! I'd hate to be driving behind him, I'd assume them's the Brens following):

One of many neat photograph and slide scans at botchagaloop.net!
    -----------------------
    Carbir DS3 FB #09

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Bren

No shimmed BS on the Diff. Arnie Engines, solid prep.I was there in June. The P1 cars were awesome

Default Bren

looks to be two DB's after him
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wagner View Post
    Another example of Jackson Yonge's car control (yow! bringing back my SportsCar memories! I'd hate to be driving behind him, I'd assume them's the Brens following):

One of many neat photograph and slide scans at botchagaloop.net!

Liked: 33

Default Reynard back story

A correction to post #5.
    it was Ted Johnson that had the tragic accident at the Blackhawk National that day.
    A day I’ll never forget too.
    Fletch
    Fletch
    March 79V

Thread Information