Liked: 97

Default What is the best forward facing video camara syst now?

Hi All, Last weekend at PBIR I watched as the guy paddocked next to me was approached by a steward who intended to punish him and after looking at the incar video, shook his hand and said Nice Job!
    OK, I am sold on the value. I have been crucified by stupid officials before.
    Now to find something really easy to use that will give decent results.
    I know nothing about cameras of any kind and don't really love computer operation puzzles.
    Any and all thoughts and suggestions would really be appreciated. Particularly as they are required for the runoffs anyway.
    Thanks very much,
    Skip Weld

Liked: 1119

You can get something decent for less than $100 (maybe a lot less for a ReplayXD on eBay), or you can get into 4 figures for something better. IOW, you may not want the "best."

Let the many responses begin....
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 1124

Skip, vindication! I’m really glad the visual proof served as just that.

I have no camera advice for being a still photographer, sorry.

Seems I posted in support of onboards for this very thing a month or so ago. What I do recall I’ll repeat here... I’d recommend a camera with a “normal” lens, which is 50mm in stills. Wide-angles show a bigger view and look cool (in terms of seeing more and accelerating the perception of your speed), but we humans are wired to perceive a normal view as reality — and that not only *could* but WILL affect any steward’s perception of distance and time.

If indeed a usable camera was $100-ish, if me I’d get one with normal-lens capability, and one with a wider view to know what works. If using only one pointing forward the other could be mounted to look out the back.

Glad it worked out.

Liked: 218

Default Cameras

It seems I've been through about every known type of camera in the nearly 35 years since I lost my mind and started racing. The best right now is the AiM SmartyCam. Not cheap, but its the best I've seen/used.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 916

Quote Originally Posted by SStadel View Post
    It seems I've been through about every known type of camera in the nearly 35 years since I lost my mind and started racing. The best right now is the AiM SmartyCam. Not cheap, but its the best I've seen/used.

I am sitting on a court hearing a protest for contact right now.

One of the parties presented video from a SmartyCam (integrated with AiM data?). Remarkably good quality video. I have no sense of relative price.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    I am sitting on a court hearing a protest for contact right now.

One of the parties presented video from a SmartyCam (integrated with AiM data?). Remarkably good quality video. I have no sense of relative price.
    The Smartycam HD is a great option. It provides awesome value, but it's not cheap, starting at $1,000 for the all in one and $1,100 for the bullet version. To run standalone, you have to add a GPS and power cable, so that would add $200+. If you have a fairly current AiM system, it will plug right in, handle everything automatically, and do all the overlay real time.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 859

Skip,
    THIS
    https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Ghost-Action-Camera-Built/dp/B07DGFYXTY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1P1N8B6GE0OMQ&dchild=1&keywords=dr ift+innovations+ghost+x&qid=1598575779&sprefix=dri ft+innovation%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-3

is what I use. It is inexpensive, reliable and the battery lasts quite well. All you have to do is MOUNT it and then find someone to TURN IT ON for you .. or turn it on before you get in the car. Linda usually turns mine on ... and then into RECORD mode (can be set as default mode on power up) after I get buckled up. It WASTES somewhere between 5 and 45 minutes of record time and battery, but it's reasonably easy to edit after the fact and I haven't had any issues with battery life. Although I'd prefer it be left NOT recording until at least the 5.. Linda sometimes doesn't go to the grid with me .. and some times it gets FORGOTTEN. Doing it this way reduces the chance it won't be ON when we need it.

It has 1080 capability, but I use it in 720 mode so the files aren't so gigantic. The resolution is pretty good at that level. It is 'wide angle'... IIRC, it's 130 degrees, but it probably varies with the resolution.

I bought the external mic for mine, but forgot to plug it in once and found that the internal mic works just fine if you put a piece of racer tape over the hole for the mic to chop the wind noise.

Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    .. and some times it gets FORGOTTEN.
    Steve
    Lol...that's why I looked for something that I can power on from the cockpit. I've missed many races too!

There are a plethora of "motorcycle cams" that start recording when powered up. Last year I started using this one which I really like.

I haven't missed a session that I tried to record yet. (except for when I forgot to replace the sd card) I have a switch on the dash that powers it on and starts recording. Powers down via same switch or main power so won't be left on. The battery it comes with is just for buffer and shutdown. It records 2 cameras- though I haven't yet recorded a race with both. I haven't mounted the rear facing cam yet! I just keep forgetting. I did point the other cam at the rear shock once which was cool so both cams work great.
    The bullet cameras are very small and the recorder can be stuffed someplace convenient. Video quality/sound is good.
    I made a smaller mount for the camera and you can hardly see it. (see attached pic)
    Quick vid sample of miserable start to last years runoffs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GmB...ature=youtu.be

Andy
    FV

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajpastore; 08.29.20 at 2:12 PM.

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by ajpastore View Post
    Lol...that's why I looked for something that I can power on from the cockpit. I've missed many races too!

There are a plethora of "motorcycle cams" that start recording when powered up. Last year I started using this one which I really like.

I haven't missed a session that I tried to record yet. (except for when I forgot to replace the sd card) I have a switch on the dash that powers it on and starts recording. Powers down via same switch or main power so won't be left on. The battery it comes with is just for buffer and shutdown. It records 2 cameras- though I haven't yet recorded a race with both. I haven't mounted the rear facing cam yet! I just keep forgetting. I did point the other cam at the rear shock once which was cool so both cams work great.
    The bullet cameras are very small and the recorder can be stuffed someplace convenient. Video quality/sound is good.
    I made a smaller mount for the camera and you can hardly see it. (see attached pic)

Andy
    FV

Quite impressive. Since forward facing are required and I think rearward is just around the corner, this may be the ticket fr that job.

Liked: 555

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    The Smartycam HD is a great option. It provides awesome value, but it's not cheap, starting at $1,000 for the all in one and $1,100 for the bullet version. To run standalone, you have to add a GPS and power cable, so that would add $200+. If you have a fairly current AiM system, it will plug right in, handle everything automatically, and do all the overlay real time.
    AND it starts by itself! (an outstanding feature)
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ajpastore View Post

Andy
    FV

Andy.
    What is the make and model of the camera you speak about here.
    Thank you.

Liked: 308

I have been using Garmin VIRB Elite cameras - one forward, one looking backward. Both cameras can be turned on from the cockpit. Garmin editing software permits picture in picture final videos. The Elite's capture GPS data that gets downloaded to your computer for editing - there are quite a number of graphic overlays that will display the GPS data. The videos can ALSO use data from my AiM data logger using the DashWare editing system.

Downside - Garmin is no longer manufacturing the VIRB Elite. The vibration of my F500 caused internal issues with 3 of the units - that Garmin replaced in kind under warranty - once I started mounting them to the bodywork, the cameras have worked well.

Garmin is manufacturing other 'action' cameras - they don't appear to be easy to turn on from being belted in formula car.

Liked: 150

I use a GoPro with their Bluetooth remote. Strap the remote on my arm, and I can start and stop it when belted in, and the remote screen confirms that its running.

The only down side, is that the weatherproof case, is suspect able to fogging up.

Here is some video from the 50th. https://youtu.be/j5pIO7Tvsu8

Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
    I use a GoPro with their Bluetooth remote. Strap the remote on my arm, and I can start and stop it when belted in, and the remote screen confirms that its running.

The only down side, is that the weatherproof case, is suspect able to fogging up.

ANDY Sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Posner View Post
    ANDY Sent you a PM
    Haven’t seen it.

Liked: 58

Haven’t seen it.
    Hawke Sorry. Primitive tech skills. PM was for Andy Pastore

Liked: 238

Does using bluetooth cause the GoPro to run down the battery fairly quickly?

Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    Does using bluetooth cause the GoPro to run down the battery fairly quickly?
    I wouldn’t say fairly quickly, but it certinally makes an impact. It just becomes yet another task that you put into your day, and that is to change its battery every morning. You can turn off the Bluetooth while its mounted, and you have to turn it on when you reload the battery. My typical day is to turn the bluetooth on when I warm up the car in the morning, and start recording when I leave the dummy grid, and turn off when back in the paddock. Even with 3 20 minute races in a day, the battery has lasted a full charge.

Thread Information