Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Default Charlie Williams

Sad to report Charlie Williams passed away this weekend. There was not a better human being than Charlie.

When I started racing a long time ago I had no money. Charlie would prep all my engine parts and then teach me all his tricks so I could assemble the engine myself. Not many would have taken the time to help a new racer like Charlie did. I could never repay all that Charlie did for me over the years.

Charlie is survived by his wife, Norma and 2 sons Brian and Keith an their extended families.

2. The following 8 users liked this post:

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Truly an Icon of MW racing.....another good guy, gone.

Another who just departed was Jim Miller....HP Nat.l champ a few times...(Canfield posted his passing over on prodracing...)

Okie

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1880

Charlie was one of the nicest guys around. Built great engines, and if you had an issue with one, he would drop everything else and fix it without question, and in record time.

Bill - Give my best to Norma. Do you have a link to the funeral parlor?

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3322

That makes me sad. He was one of the REALLY good guys. Back in my FF days, we shared a "Zink/Citation" tent many times during the Runoffs at Road Atlanta. He and his family were fun to be around.

We will miss him. RIP, Charlie.
    Dave Weitzenhof

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Charlie was an amazing help to me in the short time I was a customer, before he retired. Norma was also right there helping me.

Prayers for the Willams family.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Truly a great loss. One of my cars had one of his engines when I got it. Was a great engine!!!!!

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1122

Sad news, indeed a good guy!

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 238

Charlie helped me out when I really needed it. He's not someone I'll forget.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3787

DaveW introduced me to him at one of the Topeka Runoffs. It was like meeting a legend.
    One of those people you know is genuine the first time you meet.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 995

A great guy and a great family. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Williams family.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 72

I wouldn’t be racing today if it weren’t for Charlie (and Norma)
    As an engine builder he was simply the best. 2x runoffs champion engine builder...1 in FF and 1 in FC. At the track he was a mentor, councilor, coach and motivator. As a person he was just a great guy. During the race season and the runoffs he was always my go to guy for everything “advice”. Last time I saw Charlie words were difficult for him but the one thing he still had was his smile.
    RIP CW

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 208

Had one of Charlie's engines in my '98 VanDiemen.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 21

Default Charlie Williams - Loss to everyone who knew him

Norma just called me to tell me of Charlie's passing. To me he was not just a greater-than-life personality, but a good friend and mentor. I first met Charlie (in above mentioned Zink/Citation tent) at my first runoffs in 1977. I had rebuilt my own engine, and discovered that the Big Dogs hired professionals to take care of their engines (I was 38th of 42 on the grid that year). Dave W. had invited us to be in the Zinc/Citation tent as a new guy. I did not know Charlie, who was working on Dave W's engine, so I wandered over to introduce myself. After the appropriate introduction, I asked Charlie if he would mind if I watched him work. He responded in the most gentle fashion "Yes," that indeed, he would mind if I watched. I knew immediately that I wanted him to build engines for me. His delightful candor, and obvious skill captured me. I had been running consistently about 5th in CenDiv Nationals 'till I bolted in one of Charlie's engines. It was like a switch: 5th to 1st (except when Dave W. was in the mix....). We enjoyed a delightful racing relationship with Charlie for the rest of my FF and FF2000 career. What a great person, and what a great family. He will be missed!

Craig Taylor

26. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Default Sad News

This is indeed very sad news. While I never met Charlie in person, he built my FC engines for 20 years. Always a great person to deal with. I trusted him completely and our conversations tended to be short - he told me what needed to be done and I would tell him go ahead and do it. Truly a great human being. Thoughts and prayers to Norma and the family.

Dave Rock

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 4

Default Sad

I met Charlie when he was building engines for Tim Cooper in the early '70's, and I was just getting started in FF. When I got through my first couple of seasons and got serious about good equipment, Charlie was the engine builder I went to. He was always friendly, knowledgeable, and patient with a young kid who still though he could take on the world singlehanded. And he knew how to build some awesome engines that were powerful, reliable, and legal.

Charlie was always a class act. He built some of the best engines, for some of the best drivers, over the years. Though I lost touch with him during the ensuing years, I never forgot the times I got to spend in the presence of one of the greatest of all time.

Rest in peace, Charlie. I expect you'll be running your dyno up in heaven late into the night, looking for just a little more horsepower.

Liked: 22

Default Very Sad!

I actually worked for Charlie and Norma while back in collage. Truly great folks and fostered a real family in the SCCA community. They helped foster a love a racing that I have been lucky enough to enjoy ever sense. My only regret was not being able to get one his engines for my Lotus FF. He will be missed!!-BGG

Thread Information