Liked: 5

Default Thin soled shoes?

Looking to see what shoes have the thinnest sole in the heel part. My current shoes are an inch thick at the heel and taper to about a quarter inch at the toes. Does anyone know of a so called low profile shoe?

Liked: 3787

Size 11+ feet in an English made formula car can be a challenge.

20 - 30 years ago the shoes were "less".
    Then folks started building "wizzy" shoes for the market...lots of flash and do-dads... not a big deal in a Miata or a GT2 car. But in a 10" wide foot box...

I always bought shoes that were way to small. And, I know it sounds like a travesty to do to a new pair of shoes, but i have a 48" belt sander in the shop... I can shape the sole of the shoe to fit the car.

Still love my 1998 Simpsons... wore them today, in fact.

Liked: 138

Alpine stars makes a very thin shoe. Tech zr1 or something is the name. Only issue I had with them is the sides wore through after 5 years of heal and toe action.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Size 11+ feet in an English made formula car can be a challenge.

20 - 30 years ago the shoes were "less".
    Then folks started building "wizzy" shoes for the market...lots of flash and do-dads... not a big deal in a Miata or a GT2 car. But in a 10" wide foot box...

I always bought shoes that were way to small. And, I know it sounds like a travesty to do to a new pair of shoes, but i have a 48" belt sander in the shop... I can shape the sole of the shoe to fit the car.

Still love my 1998 Simpsons... wore them today, in fact.
    I have a set of alpine stars now but even if I sanded the sole down it goes past where the fabric is on the outside of the shoe. It's crazy that theres an inch of sole.

Liked: 530

Sparco Superleggera RB-10 is what I use. Thinnest and lightest that I am aware of. Note there is a newer 10.1 version that from the pictures doesn’t appear to be as thin.

Unfortunately the original is discontinued. Speedway Motors has a few left, if you happen to be euro size 38 (6.5-7) they have a pair on eBay for $133! I paid over $400 originally.

Go to saferacer.com and lookup shoes. Sort highest price first to see latest offerings from everyone. OMP One Evo or OMP Technica Evo might be the current thinnest available.

Liked: 482

If only...I could design and manufacture, in about a week, a good driving shoe with a highly durable but extremely thin heel. Seems like there would be a decent market for this. Why hasn’t a company done this? And $400 for shoes is STEEP.

edit: I just emailed Crow to see if the can make a custom shoe or even a line of shoes with thin heels/bottoms....

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

have a look at the simpson circuit pro shoe

Liked: 502

Not expensive, or fancy, I like the Pyrotec/Racequip midtops. Under 100.00. Averill has them.
    Thin synthetic soles with removeable insoles. They machine wash good and last a long time, even walking in paddock.

Liked: 553

I've always used Simpsons high top, and recently changed to mid-top, which I like a little bit better. I *think* they are relatively thin soled (but haven't done a comparison).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 1403

I used wrestling boots. They were the only shoes I could find that had a single layer of leather on the soles. Now that was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    I used wrestling boots. They were the only shoes I could find that had a single layer of leather on the soles. Now that was a long time ago.
    Steve!?
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 1403

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Steve!?
    Notice my last sentence.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Notice my last sentence.

Liked: 7

I did the same thing. I thought it was a great idea!!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    Not expensive, or fancy, I like the Pyrotec/Racequip midtops. Under 100.00. Averill has them.
    Thin synthetic soles with removeable insoles. They machine wash good and last a long time, even walking in paddock.
    My last pair of boots were STR which are the same as the Racequip ones. As above they have thin soles and aren't crazy money. I found their sizes come up slightly large, so maybe order one size smaller than usual?

Liked: 536

I used to race in leather moccasins, super thin. I've been wondering if I could use my old mocs as a template to make with Nomex. Not really SFI, though...

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    Not really SFI, though...
    Neither are the suits in Post #11.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

20. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information