Thread: Lola barn find

Liked: 4

Default Lola barn find

Looking for any history on this Lola 342 I purchased in South Eastern Wisconsin. Chassis number HU170. No log books or history. Car is complete, but in very poor condition. It has a Chicago region tech sticker that looks to read 11/2/79 and it believed to have been in storage since around that time.

This car needs virtually everything to become track ready again. Anyone with surplus parts/spares or leads on NOS or lightly used parts would be appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 212

Nice find! Looks great for sitting in a barn for 40 years!

First car I drove was a Lola 342.
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Not listed in the Lola Heritage website.
    http://www.lolaheritage.co.uk/2018/register/t342.html

Lots of good people that race T342's, I'm sure some will be able to help. My March wasn't in a whole lot better shape but almost all the hard parts were good after some patient cleaning. Of course, it was only hanging in a garage in CT for about 6-7 years.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default just

give it a WD-40 bath

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Neat. As they say on American Pickers, "Barn fresh, crusty, but all there." Needs everything, but a great fun ground-up, every last nut and bolt project. Won't be cheap to do but you'll love it.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

Great find! From the pictures, not only does it look close-on complete, but doesn't look to have been messed with a whole lot, either. If so, that should make the restoration job somewhat smoother than having to unpick years of bad workmanship!

Liked: 79

A friend who raced FF in that area in the 70's thinks it may be Marty Potashnik's car.

Liked: 610

Default Lola

Look on the roll hoop for a log book number. If it was raced around there in the 70's, it had to have one. The first numbers are that of the region that issued the book. Contact them and see who it was presented to.
    As for Marty, I think he was doing FV at that time.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

If you decide to make an OBSCENE profit on this car, call immediately. Soooo Jealous. Sweet ride, Andy.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 21

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    If you decide to make an OBSCENE profit on this car, call immediately. Soooo Jealous. Sweet ride, Andy.
    I currently have a t340 for sale that just had a complete ground up restoration. In

Liked: 4

Default 342 Update

Thanks for the replies thus far. Car is 4-5 hours away from being completely stripped and the belly pan off. Not really much surprising at this point, as it was assumed that most of the car was a mess. Engine has been sent to the engine builder.

My roll hoop is stamped 007-554. Per Jeff Kulawinski who is involved with the Blackhawk Valley Region, "In 76 & 77 a #72 T342 listed to a James Render out of Land O Lakes region ran our events"

Per Bob's suggestion, I reached out to Marty Potashnik and he states that it was not his car and didn't know any history.

Anybody know James Render?

Liked: 536

Looks like he liked #72, this is marked as 1984

http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery2/v...4-047.jpg.html

Also he apparently later ran a DB-1, it's listed for sale with a contact number for the current owner who might know Render

https://www.vscr.org/marketplace

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by akilcoyne View Post
    Thanks for the replies thus far. Car is 4-5 hours away from being completely stripped and the belly pan off. Not really much surprising at this point, as it was assumed that most of the car was a mess. Engine has been sent to the engine builder.

My roll hoop is stamped 007-554. Per Jeff Kulawinski who is involved with the Blackhawk Valley Region, "In 76 & 77 a #72 T342 listed to a James Render out of Land O Lakes region ran our events"

Per Bob's suggestion, I reached out to Marty Potashnik and he states that it was not his car and didn't know any history.

Tony Foster would probably know. Foster and Render were FUBAR Racing.

Liked: 35

Default barn find

Jim Render and I were partners in RF Racing importing Van Diemens in the mid '80s, We switched to Swifts in '87. Render won two June Sprints '88 and '91 in two different DB-1s. The first chassis we bought ('86) I have for sale. Way back Render started racing with a Lola 340 and upgraded to a 342 with #72 and a green paint job. Render was second owner of that car (from New Jersey) and it was a pretty early serial number. The car was then purchased by another MN racer in '77 or 8 and re-painted either blue or black. It was again sold a couple years after that. Not sure who bought it then but I believe it stayed in MN. Tony Foster

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 610

Default Lola

Quote Originally Posted by akilcoyne View Post

#7 is Chicago Region. Contact them with the number and see who the Log Book with that number was issued to.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information