Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked: 103

As I recall, the Porsche 936's were the ones that used them. The reason why they had to route them sideways was because other cars kept running into them. You get a pressure drop when the additional elbow is added. I don't recall the 914's or any others.

The primary reason is that few drivers did the same research as Art and/or have the same access to a dyno. They trust the parts suppliers, engine builders, or just bolted on what was convenient so they can get out on the track and drive. Fine tuning for additional Hp through the exhaust was an after thought.

Most people think that as long as you put on any old header that you will get the best performance. This is not correct. Header design is engine specific and a black art.

In fact I am in favor of tuneable extensions that are then pre set to the proper harmonic sweet spot on the dyno.

I do agree that using a horn may be problematic at Laguna Seca or any track with db restrictions. The Supertrap I have on my 914 is essentially a horn, but the baffle plates that have to be added for sound attenuation significantly diminish any advantage from the horn.

Liked: 259

Default all acoustics

Bill-

I agree "speed" through the air should help with exhaust flow through both the megaphones and the horn. that said, ALL of the real gains are being made on the acoustics side of the equation. recent testing confirmed that Kent's appreciate attention to detail when it comes to inverted pressure wave tuning, forming, shaping, and stretching. anticipating and dealing with the variability in the speed of sound (irreversible expansion, irreversible compression, & heat transfer) through the exhaust to get path lengths right is the real challenge. given the zero sum game nature of "acoustics" based designs, the other challenge is where in crankshaft degree space to "bet your money". surely the return-on-investment (aka: ROI) is NOT a constant across overlap and there's not enough chips to cover the board...........................!

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

yes, you are shooting at a moving target. Humidity, barometric pressure, ambient air temp on top of RPM and octane dependent burn rate will effect the acoustic sweet spot. Trying to then find the happy medium with a fixed exhaust config is a challenge. Your research efforts to resolve this are much appreciated.

Liked: 157

Art, seen at Daytona today, have you been messing around in DSR?

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Default horn quartet

Tom-

funny you should ask, it just so happens I have been working with a local horn quartet (ie: only 4). haven't been able to find anyone to stand in for Herb Alpert so the thinking is a horn quartet might have a unique sound that would sell records/CD's/........ given it's a middle-of-nowhere pick-up group, none of the guys have modern horns so I'm now attempting to find them better instruments before their first concert. none of the music reviewed so far even begins to approach the originality and sound of "The Lonely Bull", but just imagine a piece of music written and orchestrated for a horn quartet with a Kent "accent"..................... even "muted", a horned quartet should provide serious music for the ears.

Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass "The Lonely Bull"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-5iwhbBd-I

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Are you...

Art......Art......Are you okay?

Default spring in the desert

John-

hope the delinquent reply brings a smile to your day!! it's finally getting warmer here in the desert which makes getting things done a great deal easier.

horn quartet - ie: a musical group with four horns! attached picture shows the middle-of-nowhere Kent "horn quartet". there's no solo artist; everyone plays the same music! as part of the upcoming exhaust trip to the dyno, the dyno version of the horn quartet will be tested. I'm anxious to quantify where the "horn quartet" is performance wise compared to my single horn solutions AND can hardly wait to hear the music!! all four horns are commercial 16ga megaphones configured for the group's needs. performance better than expected or a particularly sweet sound might be enough to get the supplier to finish the currently stalled full custom hydro-formed exponential horn (0.035" wall vs 0.063") project for the quartet ................

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

ps: a local competitor has already been approached so after dyno testing there's an outside chance the group gets its first "gig" sometime later this year......

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Art Smith; 06.24.19 at 12:23 PM.

10. The following 6 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Need......Want.......Must hear what that sounds like !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Will be interested to "hear" what the sound level is at full load. Have you tried adding a small dia. (1.5"), short section of tube in the end of, and centered in each mega? Held in place with a few strips of metal.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 212

Art

That is just beautiful! A work of Art one might say!

Is it possible to post a sound clip?
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Len-

working on it. the challenge is getting a recording in a format that can be uploaded AND widely enjoyed as I haven't done cell phones since retiring....

Lawrence-

"sound management", if required, is being left for a rainy day

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 212

Art

Congratulations on retirement.

Look forward to hearing the quartet in all it's glory.

Could you imagine following a car with that exhaust sticking out the back?!?!
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Valet View Post
    Art, seen at Daytona today, have you been messing around in DSR?

this car has a flat 6 cylinder 2 stroke engine
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 896

Thanks a ton for all your effort Art!!!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Default horn quartet debut !!!

Friday the Middle-of-Nowhere Horn Quartet performed their first public gig (invitation only) at
    an up and coming club in Orange County (Southern California); as the group's sound
    engineer and unofficial manager I had the opportunity to attend. time was short due to the club's
    busy schedule so the Quartet only had time for one number even thou they traveled with sheet music
    for three additional tunes. keeping in mind the biased nature of my position and love of all music
    from Kent, the group's sound was pure music to my ears !! security was tight as you might
    imagine/expect, but I did manage to get a small inexpensive Nikon digital camera into the gig.
    although the camera's video sound quality clearly isn't up to that from my studio microphone and
    doesn't do the group's sound justice, the video has the potential to be a priceless recording of the
    group's first small steps toward stardom..........

https://www.dropbox.com/s/spsw706p0r...N0004.MOV?dl=0

Mr. Dyno (didn't get his first name or business card), the club's resident music critic was impressed
    with the group's sound and shared on the way out that he thought the Quartet's sound was slightly
    better than the single horn act that took the fall classic by storm in 2018. he wouldn't speculate about
    the potential impact of modern horns on the group's sound or the impact of arrangements to improve
    the group's mid-range harmony...........................

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net
    Last edited by Art Smith; 06.24.19 at 12:19 PM.

22. The following 5 users liked this post:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/spsw706p0r...N0004.MOV?dl=0

Wow... a symphony!

Sounds like throaty big bore.
    1980 Lola T540E Club Ford
    1975 Lola T342 Club Ford

Liked: 502

Holy Moly ! That is awesome !
    Now for my Pinto?

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

That's awesome!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar

Default Must Have!

They would look great poking out of the back of my Swift Art!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Interested to see how this experiment plays out. Does the area under the more peaky curve create enough advantage at certain tracks, to overcome the packaging/aero issues?

I love the always thinking outside the box.

29. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default termination notice

Mr. Phelps:

this post is intended to serve as your official two week notice that your "forecasting
    services" are no longer needed by the firm. your contributions historically have been
    very helpful but the firm elected to pursue digital engine simulation technology over
    five years ago. after three years of intermittent development work on the project, the
    firm finally has a digital engine simulation that provides excellent correlation with dyno
    test results of our historic exhaust system designs. after the current collection of
    intake and exhaust hardware awaiting dyno test is tested, the bulk (not all) of the
    firm's design and performance testing will be done in the digital domain. thanks
    again for your years of forecasting services and best wishes to you going forward!

Arthur E. (Art) Smith
    artesmith@earthlink.net

31. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Quote Originally Posted by Art Smith View Post
    Mr. Phelps:

this post is intended to serve as your official two week notice that your "forecasting
    services" are no longer needed by the firm. your contributions historically have been
    very helpful but the firm elected to pursue digital engine simulation technology over
    five years ago. after three years of intermittent development work on the project, the
    firm finally has a digital engine simulation that provides excellent correlation with dyno
    test results of our historic exhaust system designs. after the current collection of
    intake and exhaust hardware awaiting dyno test is tested, the bulk (not all) of the
    firm's design and performance testing will be done in the digital domain. thanks
    again for your years of forecasting services and best wishes to you going forward!

Arthur E. (Art) Smith
    artesmith@earthlink.net
    Art, Say it ain't so

Default TQM comes to FFord

Steve-

think of it as a simple TQM exercise; quicker more accurate "forecasts", experimental hardware fabrication and testing cost reduced by at least 70-80%, AND NO politics. using a vintage 2005 exhaust design and period dyno data to calibrate the digital engine simulation, the simulation is already providing "forecasts" on the order of ±2%. with better input data, particularly cylinder head flow test data, ±1% may be achievable for the Kent. the digital engine simulation as currently configured can be used to "forecast" engine performance resulting from exhaust system design changes, camshaft timing changes, ignition timing changes, lubrication system changes, cylinder head configuration changes, and intake system configuration changes. as good as Mr. Phelps was, he didn't have the speed, accuracy, breath of forecasting capability, or clinical objectivity provided by the digital engine simulation.

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

ps: as a result of previous day jobs, I appreciate feeding simulations more and better data isn't free.....................

34. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Intersting to learn how much simulation has improved since your first post in this thread.

Default price of poker!

Steve-

what's changed is the price of poker!! digital engine simulations with significant capability/functionality are now in the financial reach of normal people (given interest in Formula Ford (ie: not FF) is normal).

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

37. The following 2 users liked this post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information