Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contributing Member
    Liked: 292

Relief Bill

I am impressed how partisan the negotiations have been. They started out at 1T$ and are now close to 2T$. It just seemed logical to me to let each party specify what happens to 1T$. I guess I'm wrong.

By the way that is about a 10% increase to the overall US dept. The current year to date deficit is 1.4T$ or so. This is going to be a banner year for the deficit/dept. Where have all those deficit hawks when you need them?

Brian

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 46

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Sadly, the CDC's stats seem to be consistently out of date. This is a big part of the reason:
    This page will be updated regularly at noon Mondays through Fridays. Numbers close out at 4 p.m. the day before reporting.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

If I were going to turn anywhere for stats—worldwide stats, I'd look here:

Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

Or here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I know the first by reputation, and the second lists its sources for every number.
    I believe the CDC does not update over a weekend and only updates the rest once per day. I like Johns Hopkins though and the worldometer is pretty good.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Sadly, the CDC's stats seem to be consistently out of date. This is a big part of the reason:
    This page will be updated regularly at noon Mondays through Fridays. Numbers close out at 4 p.m. the day before reporting.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

True, but if you want the most accurate/unbiased stats as of 4PM the weekday prior, just wait until noon the next day and you've got them.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    If I were going to turn anywhere for stats—worldwide stats, I'd look here:

Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
    Who's providing those stats for John Hopkins? If there's a new case in southeast Yellowstone is the local medical center alerting John Hopkins?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Relief Bill

I am impressed how partisan the negotiations have been. They started out at 1T$ and are now close to 2T$. It just seemed logical to me to let each party specify what happens to 1T$. I guess I'm wrong.

By the way that is about a 10% increase to the overall US dept. The current year to date deficit is 1.4T$ or so. This is going to be a banner year for the deficit/dept. Where have all those deficit hawks when you need them?

Brian
    Yeah, not going to happen, each party will just use the others' choices as future ammunition. They need the exercise in working together. They are calling out for all of us to do so, it would be great if they worked together on this.

Many of them are seeing the bigger picture. The possible consequences of not incurring a larger debt is worse than known consequences of incurring the debt. I'd prefer we don't incur any additional debt and get the money from other programs---of course nobody is willing to agree on the cuts necessary, so we just end up kicking the can down the road and strap the next generation with higher taxes because we wanted our extra $2-3K.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 902

Default Hope

First of all, i hope all of you are and stay healthy. For those in duress, I am so sorry.....

The four of us are in Day 8 of what started as self isolation and rapidly escalated into full-on quarantine. We are all doing surprisingly well. Nobody has even looked at a meat cleaver yet.....

Like you, i have spent a lot of time reading and thinking about the pandemic, and how it may alter our future. I am leaving out the disastrous consequences of illness and death - we are all too aware of that by now. What i am really thinking about is how this event may change how we treat each other and ourselves. It is possible that:

- We may become much more aware of misinformation and its entirely negative effect on society. Similarly, will this be the catalyst for social media to be used more productively? Can it be done without government regulation (I hope so)?
    - We may rediscover each other, in terms of reaching out and becoming neighbors/neighborhoods again
    - Will some of us have that "Ah fuc7" moment and realize that there is something else we'd like to do with our lives, rather than stay on the current path?
    - Some may reflect on the role of money in our lives, and may change their lifestyle. This could include, as one poster noted, actually saving for a rainy day (if that is possible), and could also include some of us "de-monetizing" our lives a little
    - We may actually start putting our society's needs ahead of our own (totally guilty here on this one).
    - The Gig economy, which FWIW I believe is a complete failure that will only play itself out in 25-30 years, may indeed be affected/changed forever. The concept of working "just enough" for the pin money for the weekend may give a little way to younger folks thinking about a career.
    - We are going to MMT in action, right in front of our very eyes. God willing the MMT-ers are right (I don't believe that they are), and if so, this "could" usher in a entirely new form of economic management/structure. I hope I am wrong.

We are seeing all kinds of greenshoots of the above already (and many more too). I am trying to stay positive, and hope that there will be some good that comes from all of this.

best,
    BT

7. The following 5 users liked this post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    - We may become much more aware of misinformation and its entirely negative effect on society. Similarly, will this be the catalyst for social media to be used more productively? Can it be done without government regulation (I hope so)?
    While we may become more aware of the power/effects of misinformation, those that wish to use it for gain, will utilize it even more so. First to break a story has become more important than the story's accuracy. Just issue a correction/retraction in fine print a couple days later. The headline/original story already reached a whole ton of eyeballs.

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt
    - We may rediscover each other, in terms of reaching out and becoming neighbors/neighborhoods again.
    -Will some of us have that "Ah fuc7" moment and realize that there is something else we'd like to do with our lives, rather than stay on the current path?
    - Some may reflect on the role of money in our lives, and may change their lifestyle. This could include, as one poster noted, actually saving for a rainy day (if that is possible), and could also include some of us "de-monetizing" our lives a little
    Hope so. Bailing out every Tom, Dick and Harry with their hand out, may serve to reinforce the idea that when things get too bad the Government will rescue me. I'm afraid the lessons learned may just be the wrong ones.

- We may actually start putting our society's needs ahead of our own (totally guilty here on this one).
    I wouldn't hold your breath. This whole bickering we are experiencing here over the Coronavirus stimulus package is evident. The last draft wouldn't have been some 106 pages or so and would have had some bipartisan support during formal vote if that was the case.

I am trying to stay positive, and hope that there will be some good that comes from all of this.
    There will be plenty of good, that's for certain. It's a matter of how much "bad" it costs.

Liked: 1886

10. The following 9 users liked this post:

Liked: 295

hah hah!

13. The following 7 users liked this post:

What is going to happen....

16. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

Pooh tickets...
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Banned

We are now at 55,041 people in the USA have tested positive. 790 Deaths. 348 Recovered who had tested positive.

South Korea currently has 5530 active cases, 3507 have recovered and 120 deaths.

Default Please. Stay busy during the lockdown...

22. The following 2 users liked this post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information