Liked: 5

Default Handling issue help sheet

I remember seeing a document with symptoms the car is doing and then possible ways to fix it. I cant seem to find it now. Does anyone have a copy of something similar? I have massive under steer and want to see what all the options to fix it are.

Thank you

Liked: 3322

Default Is this what you were looking for?

Attached:

There are other items not noted here, but these are the most common ones you can do with the suspension system you have.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dave Weitzenhof

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Quote Originally Posted by CoryDerr View Post
    I remember seeing a document with symptoms the car is doing and then possible ways to fix it. I cant seem to find it now. Does anyone have a copy of something similar? I have massive under steer and want to see what all the options to fix it are.

Thank you
    The last Carroll Smith publication was "Engineer in your Pocket" and was broken down as you describe. Pegasus shows them in stock:
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...8aAvjiEALw_wcB
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

5. The following 3 users liked this post:

The Carroll Smith pamphlet is good general info, but some of it is more relevant to sedans, etc., than to formula cars. So, IMO, don't trust it blindly...

Of course, that applies to my car-prep PDF in the opposite direction...
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member
    Liked: 41

Thank you Dave!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Attached:

There are other items not noted here, but these are the most common ones you can do with the suspension system you have.
    Dave, that's not the sheet i remember seeing but thank you, ill be reading this as well. just trying to keep up with the pack... haha

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    The last Carroll Smith publication was "Engineer in your Pocket" and was broken down as you describe. Pegasus shows them in stock:
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...8aAvjiEALw_wcB

The sheet i saw was on here but long time ago. i printed it out but moved to a new garage and it got lost in translation

Liked: 59

Default Handling problem correction sheet

Quote Originally Posted by CoryDerr View Post
    Cory, I saw a webinar that the fellow filled out a matrix of symptoms and corrections, I copied it into a document. I've also added some tips from Ross Bently. The PDF is attached.

Understeer is common with VD's at low speed. I have been fighting it constantly. Changing rake (lower front/higher rear ride height) helps, as does increasing rear shock bump. Perhaps the biggest fix is to use more trail braking to keep the front end loaded as long as possible. You could also try going to a soft front roll bar, this is particularly good to try since most VD's have adjustable front bars.

If you have high speed understeer, you either don't have enough front wing or too much rear wing. You definitely should have a nice, neutral balance in high speed corners, if not, look at aero first.

Setup Changes to Correct Handling Problems.pdf

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

That is a very nice, concise, simple & straightforward PDF.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Quote Originally Posted by Lyngengr View Post
    Cory, I saw a webinar that the fellow filled out a matrix of symptoms and corrections, I copied it into a document. I've also added some tips from Ross Bently. The PDF is attached.

Understeer is common with VD's at low speed. I have been fighting it constantly. Changing rake (lower front/higher rear ride height) helps, as does increasing rear shock bump. Perhaps the biggest fix is to use more trail braking to keep the front end loaded as long as possible. You could also try going to a soft front roll bar, this is particularly good to try since most VD's have adjustable front bars.

If you have high speed understeer, you either don't have enough front wing or too much rear wing. You definitely should have a nice, neutral balance in high speed corners, if not, look at aero first.

Setup Changes to Correct Handling Problems.pdf

We run RFRs but I believe rake is my problem. Well get it sorted out. Thanks for the pdf.

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default Another view...

Here is a sheet I got from a racer in the UK. He focuses a lot on data and we have been swaping ideas. He passed this along to me as a "Guide for Correcting Understeer/Oversteer." I don't know its exact origin, but like its breakdown of chassis relationships, corner position, and very visual/flowchart approach. I'll be honest - I just got it and haven't had a chance to try it - but it looks useful and is only 1 sheet!

Cheers - Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
    Here is a sheet I got from a racer in the UK. He focuses a lot on data and we have been swaping ideas. He passed this along to me as a "Guide for Correcting Understeer/Oversteer." I don't know its exact origin, but like its breakdown of chassis relationships, corner position, and very visual/flowchart approach. I'll be honest - I just got it and haven't had a chance to try it - but it looks useful and is only 1 sheet!

Cheers - Jim
    I saw this one as well, on Racers360 maybe? I was going to put it into Visio and then PDF it. I guess I will do that now, I certainly have time!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

Quote Originally Posted by Lyngengr View Post
    I saw this one as well, on Racers360 maybe? I was going to put it into Visio and then PDF it. I guess I will do that now, I certainly have time!
    If you do rebuild it, I'd love to have a copy...

...but would you correct "appex" to "apex", please?

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default Anybody write Android apps?

Or maybe an Excel Spreadsheet with Java?

Sorry that's not me. But would be nice.
    Driver 360 via Your Data Driven?

Cheers - Jim
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

Thread Information