Liked: 111

Default Adding sewn in arm restraints

Does anyone know who currently will add arm restraints to a suit? By far may favorite thing about my old suit and want to add it to my new suit.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

I just find a decent alterations shop. If there's a military base nearby there will be a good one. I go to Dicks or REI and by some loop tube, and D-rings at the hardware store. Rig them up like on your helmet, have the taylor open a 3/4" seam, and bar tack them in place.

I never had a suit to use as an example. I you still have your old one I'd give them that to disassemble.

Liked: 709

My wife added them to my last suit. She basically just tacked on the standard arm restraint with a few threads.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 111

Simple enough.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 492

Default FF

dupe post
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 492

Default FF

Be very careful how you add them to a suit. One of my customers had them sewed into his suit by the suit manufacturer They were installed incorrectly. They were just sewed into the seam of the suit and sewed along the end of the arm restraints. In the violent crash that followed one restraint pulled out of the suit leading to severe arm damage.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    Be very careful how you add them to a suit. One of my customers had them sewed into his suit by the suit manufacturer They were installed incorrectly. They were just sewed into the seam of the suit and sewed along the end of the arm restraints. In the violent crash that followed one restraint pulled out of the suit leading to severe arm damage.
    Yup - I always use that loop material and have it bar-tacked, like a seat belt.

Liked: 107

i tacked a few stitches to locate my standard arm restraints on my suit. the thing i didnt like was then driving a car where i dont need them, and washing and drying... so now im inclined to just sew in some "belt loops" so can put them in, for the weekend, and then pull them out. they just keep coming loose in the swift otherwise.and flopping on to my wrist and or just falling off when i get out of the car which means they arent doing anything sometimes.
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 83

Default Trackside Tim is the right guy

http://www.tracksidetim.com/

From patches and arm restraint sew-ons, to entire driver suits, Tim's the man.

DK

Thread Information