Liked: 11

Default Gearbox oil change

I am changing over from dinosaur oil to Redline Lightweight Shockproof in my Formula Ford Hewland MK8 gearbox.

Is it sufficient to remove the gears, pull the box, open the drain plug and invert it for a few days to drain the oil from the diff housing or do I have to remove a sideplate and the crownwheel assembly and thoroughly clean the interior of the casing?

Not a lot of extra work but may lead to other problems.

Thanks in advance.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

IIRC, Red line and most other gear oils are incompatible. The box would need to be completely cleaned.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 73

Did the same with my FC LD-200 gearbox. Bought the car and came with conventional gear oil.
    Removed gears and cleaned them all off, drained box for several days, replaced with Red Line shock proof.
    Been about 6 seasons, since then, no problems..

Aaron

Liked: 268

Default gear oil

Redline says the Shockproof gear oil is compatible with any synthetic or petrolium based gear oils. I have used the heavy version for as many years as they have made it with great results. Stuff sticks to everything!

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Easy way to drain the box:

Attached Images Attached Images

8. The following 10 users liked this post:

Liked: 94

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    Redline says the Shockproof gear oil is compatible with any synthetic or petrolium based gear oils. I have used the heavy version for as many years as they have made it with great results. Stuff sticks to everything!
    I don’t have any reason to doubt that this is true and that other synthetics are compatible as well. What I’ve always wondered, though, is that if this is true, why is there even a need to be so overly cautious about cleaning out the previous oil? If compatible is compatible, it wouldn’t matter would it?
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3323

Quote Originally Posted by Robert J. Alder View Post
    Easy way to drain the box:

Back in the day, that was the way to do a bottom end rebuild.
    Dave Weitzenhof

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 268

Default Bt 28

Saw this picture years ago of the BT 28 , I think. Loved it and certainly easier on the knees! Factory maintenance at its best

Liked: 85

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Back in the day, that was the way to do a bottom end rebuild.
    Gotta be an Aussie Formula 3 tune-up; change the oil, fresh big end shells and it's good tor 10,000 rpm in qualifying !!

Liked: 238

Sorry to keep the off topic going but when I saw that photo I recalled that I did the same thing when installing a new floor on my Citation. This photo is circa 2000.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 679

When I went to redline, years ago, I didn't even know to drain the whole box [IE: the half quart in the diff] I just went to refilling with redline [from Valvoline]. Never had any issues. When I started using Driven, they said I had to clean it all out, but didn't tell me to refill with 1 and a half quarts the first time, which did cause some damage. [So, don't forget that additional half quart!]
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 85

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    When I went to redline, years ago, I didn't even know to drain the whole box [IE: the half quart in the diff] I just went to refilling with redline [from Valvoline]. Never had any issues. When I started using Driven, they said I had to clean it all out, but didn't tell me to refill with 1 and a half quarts the first time, which did cause some damage. [So, don't forget that additional half quart!]
    The 'half quart' stays in the diff housing because the transmission is mounted upside-down! Has anyone ever tried modifying the housing to allow the oil to flow between the diff and gearbox chambers? I've contemplated it a couple of times but yet to try drilling a hole to allow that flow.
    As far as mixing oil is concerned, I've never heard of any problems with any brand name hypoid oils.

Liked: 611

Default Gearbox oil change

We have drained and filled without any special exercise, on cars with Hewland Mk6-8/9, LD200, FT200 or LG500, that have been through this shop and never had a compatibility issue with Redline.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information