Liked: 2

Default 1990 Shelby CanAm

In 1989 the SCCA began a program with Carroll Shelby to develop a new single make sports racing car to revive the Can-Am Series. The chassis was designed by Alan Burke and David Bruns, original body work was designed by the legendary Peter Brock and the transmission came from the Can-Am and Indy car gearbox shop of Pete and Chris Weismann. The car was built at Racefab Inc. and went into production in 1990. The first race was a demonstration event during the 1990 SCCA National Championship Runoffs. The Shelby Can-Am class, and a pro series were launched by the SCCA in 1991. The pro series ran for six years. This is chassis #14 of a total production of 74 cars. It is in original condition and original livery with the original sealed Shelby Dodge V6 engine and Weisman transaxle. It has been maintained by a former F1 mechanic and all systems function correctly. The original SCCA Can Am logbook is present. Asking price is $35,000. More photos and info at
    1990shelbycanam.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

Fun, low maintenence regional cars with a small block Chevy installed.

Default Shelby CanAm

Still available.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Default Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Fun, low maintenence regional cars with a small block Chevy installed.
    I believe they were Dodge engines........

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1122

Yes, and V6s at that.

I thought then and now that if they'd been V8s, the Series may have had a chance at more longevity. Cool cars for the dough regardless.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

There was a guy at the 2015 Indy SVRA race that had re-bodied his to look like a '72 Eagle Champ Car. I gotta tell you, it looked a whole lot better than the original bodywork!

Liked: 3787

Maybe i should have been more clear in my earlier post.

There are folks having fun with these cars by substituting the V-6 Dodge with a small block chevy.
    More available engine parts at a lower price. The engines don't even have to be strained to provide a ton of fun.

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Shelby CanAm

A couple of comments;

Engine swaps; Yes, there have been several interesting engine swaps. Shelby actually built one prototype with an Aurora V8 race engine in 1997 but that never went into production. After the SCCA Can Am series folded in 1996 about half of the original 75 Shelby CanAms were shipped to South Africa. The engines were switched for Nissan VQ35s and new bodies were fitted. So only about half of the original cars still exist. Spare original engines are still available for approx $4K. Since my car still has its original engine, transaxle and body work I decided to keep it original.

Videos;
    Here are a couple of interesting videos about the Shelby CanAm;
    Blueprint for Success is a promotional video about the development and early season. It is very low quality video but includes interesting footage and interviews including with Mr Shelby.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kw9qLJdgMY
    1994 Dallas Grand Prix
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euw9nzqaEkI
    Elliott Forbes Robinson at Daytona 2012.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxe9YgTS9D8
    Shelby CanAm at HSR Walter Mitty 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9M82T6HI_U

Thread Information