Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 493

Default tow

In the 70's I towed a home made open trailer with a 100 K mile Volvo 145 station wagon and my former wife and I slept in the back. Toolbox and spares were strapped to the trailer. What pit crew, it was only a FF. We thought we had hit the big time when I got a 125 K mile Toyota Chinook Poptop (still a 4 cyl so you had to row it up the mountains with the shifter)
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by TedV View Post
    Would that happen to be the 342 that Rise Fab Shop was doing some welding on?

Your post points out another aspect, the lack of familiarity with cars other than street cars and folks across town from each other dont know they have similar interests in formula cars. Thank you Apexspeed and everyone who posts here that help educate folks on these cars.
    Na 342 needs a lot more work, I picked up a nearly ready to go Van Diemen RF78 that I'll be bringing to the 50th. Unsure if I'll keep and finish the 342 or let it go. Good to see more Knoxville area people
    Van Diemen RF78 #258

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Speaking of throw-back to the good ol' days. The Red Bull Straight Rhythm race a couple weeks ago was retro-style. "OLD" 2 stroke bikes, retro-styled gear even though it was current. No tractor/trailer rigs in the paddock/pits. All those factory teams and wealthy motocross super stars were pitting out of 1 ton cargo vans and pickups, accessible to the fans and each other. No hospitality tents and 53' trailers with a 2019 Class 8 Peterbilts. It's only a one-off event, but refreshing none the less.

Liked: 20

As a 24 year old graduating college for civil engineering this year I figure it may be worth shedding some light on where my head is at for racing. I love cars, I love racing, but it's freaking expensive.

I've currently been racing in Champcar once or twice a year after coming to the realization that taking a daily to track days was stupid and I'm lucky nothing too bad ever happened. Dropping $600-$1000 on one or two weekends a year is totally doable for someone like myself still living at home whose has held various part time jobs and internships over my years in college. With graduation coming up soon and nearing the start of a real job with real pay, I have a dozen different routes I could go with my racing "career" at this point. I also have a dozen different routes I could go between job choices, moving out, relocation, etc. So, like previously mentioned in this thread, young people do have other priorities and most don't have the luxury of having an engineering salary right out of school.

In no particular order are a handful of the leading ideas I'd like to go with racing. As you'll see, it makes sense to continue using someone else's car instead of trying to take on the creation of a whole race operation myself.

Formula Vee/Challenge Cup
    Pros:
    - cheap barrier of entry
    - cheap consumables
    - cheap
    Cons:
    - should buy a truck (probably not smart to use 3000 lbs of my 3500 lbs towing capacity)
    - need to buy a trailer
    - need to find somewhere to live with extra garage space

Club Ford
    Pros:
    - cheap-ish barrier of entry
    - cheap-ish consumables
    Cons:
    - should buy a truck
    - need to buy a trailer

NASA/SCCA/GLTC Touring Car
    Pros:
    - cheap-ish to moderate barrier of entry
    - moderate consumables
    Cons:
    - need to buy a truck
    - need to buy a trailer

Rental of Endurance Racing Seats
    Pros:
    - no large lump sum of cash spent
    - no need to buy truck, trailer, house with extra garage space
    - no time spent working on the car
    Cons:
    - I don't get to brag about owning a racecar

7. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 187

Re: Towing and trailers

I tow my FF in a 16 ft enclosed trailer with a 2014 Honda Oddysey. It's even a tall trailer with ridiculous wind drag (put it in neutral at 70 going down WV hills and SLOWS down). I have a trans cooler on it and change out the trans fluid with every oil change.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Food

I used to include food in my total race weekend expenses. But after thinking about it, I would be eating still if I was home and as it is the weekend would most likely go out for one meal at least. No more expensive for food then if I stayed home. And at more Northeast SCCA events you get dinner on Saturday night included. May spend even less on food then if I stayed home.

Ed

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3

Default Cost Drivers for Club and Vintage FF

I think the cost of entry fees and the fuel to get to the track if you don't live relatively close are the biggest expenses assuming you don't have a mechanical failure or a wreck during the weekend.

You can still spend the night inexpensively if you are willing to sacrifice like we did in the 60's and 70's. Seems like in today's world we think a motor home and enclosed trailer are necessities.

Liked: 1115

Default Rental Con

Bragging isn't important. Being able to tweak the car to your personal fit, needs, and driving style is.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 106

How do you not put some sort of insurance cost as a con of a rental seat? You wreck it, you better be able to buy it.
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Liked: 43

Default Today vs "Back Then"...

I am currently restoring a Lola T-440 club ford. Hope to get it on the track at some point, but I have real concerns about the costs involved. As a man of relatively modest means, the realities of modern amateur racing are rather disturbing. From entry fees and accommodations, to safety equipment and tires, it's daunting. I'm not whining here- there's something unaffordable for all of us, NBD.

It seems that the expenses incurred in this sport are far, far above what they were. It's certain that insurance, safety, and diminished car counts are factors - it certainly can't be chalked up to inflation.

To draw a comparison, my budget in 1976 for a 9 race season in FV (regionals and nationals) was $900. This includes entry fees, car prep in season, tires (1 Set of Goodyear slicks!), food, etc. I did have dear old Dad's gas card, so that helped immensely. I camped at the track, we did eat out just to avoid the hassle of cooking on top of everything else. We had a Zink trailer, modified with a tool box and tire rack, and a station wagon to pull it with.

I bring this up not to lament the end of the good old days. My point is that a 21 year old kid, with very little money, could actually run a competitive program. Granted, there were people with $20,000 operating budgets even then, but it could be done on a shoestring. I don't think that's the case anymore.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 45

To be fair, a lot of race weekends are now three days long vs two. So the hotels and etc are 50% more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayeff View Post
    To be fair, a lot of race weekends are now three days long vs two. So the hotels and etc are 50% more.

I recently spoke to a friend with car sitting in storage. He can more than afford to go racing. His comment was that it just seem to be the right use of money/ bang for the buck. It will be interesting now that the 50th is over to see how many show up.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Quote Originally Posted by dfrazer View Post
    I recently spoke to a friend with car sitting in storage. He can more than afford to go racing. His comment was that it just seem to be the right use of money/ bang for the buck. It will be interesting now that the 50th is over to see how many show up.
    (Makes me curious what he has)

I've seen a couple of cars get sold cheap recently, scooped up by experienced racers with similar cars. Hopefully those will get a good rework and be available to add to our groups.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 956

Default I know I shouldn't do this...

But I do keep track of what I spend per weekend, including amortizing engine cost BMOH, tires, fuel, etc.

I'm spending $1300/weekend including lodging, meals, and tow gas. I do almost all my own prep. I rebuilt my motor 4 years ago myownself. It has about 60 hours on it and it's time again. I run both CSRG vintage (Crossflow Cup) on treaded Avons and SCCA regionals on American Racer 133 slicks. (I left out the Monterey Reunion and the VSCDA 50th because they were bucket list trips)

I used an open trailer for the first 10 years, mostly stay at the cheapest motels. I have tent camped at the track but it's hard for me to get a good nights sleep. 4 years ago I bought an enclosed trailer that saved my back from loading and unloading my pickup truck. When it comes time to sell it will still be worth the same as I bought it.

I did splurge on a $5 thrift store espresso machine to get me fired up for qualifying. Worth a second a lap.
    The credit card gets paid off every month or I don't go out until it is.

Value of the fun I'm having?? Priceless with the great competition and the friends I have made.

I know guys who brag they lose more than $1000 a day on golf tournament side bets....
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 16

Default Arrive and drive option

To expand on Dan's comments, I used Roland Johnson to maintain, transport and provide trackside support for my Crossle 32F. For entry fees, tires, hotel, gas, food and Roland's expenses it cost me about $3k-$3.5k per weekend. This is a good option if you are not mechanically inclined. Roland does a great job if you are in the So Cal area. The car was fast (faster than the driver), reliable and when I did break something he was always able to fix it. Plus he is a great drivers coach too.

There are lots of good prep shops around the country too. This is an option worthy of consideration.
    Jim Haley
    619-992-5284

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jhaley View Post
    To expand on Dan's comments, I used Roland Johnson to maintain, transport and provide trackside support for my Crossle 32F. For entry fees, tires, hotel, gas, food and Roland's expenses it cost me about $3k-$3.5k per weekend. This is a good option if you are not mechanically inclined. Roland does a great job if you are in the So Cal area. The car was fast (faster than the driver), reliable and when I did break something he was always able to fix it. Plus he is a great drivers coach too.

There are lots of good prep shops around the country too. This is an option worthy of consideration.
    I totally agree that it is an option but 3k a week e d is out of reach for most of the young guys trying to get into the sport.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information