Liked: 1

While reassembling my head, I noticed something that seemed odd about the keepers. When they're in position on the valve stem, they don't grab the stem tightly - instead, they touch each other and are free to move a little bit around the stem.
    Keepers I've seen in other engines were designed to create a gap sort of like piston rings and never really touched each other. They also pinched tightly on the stem when the retainer was in place.

Which condition is right? Or if there's no right and wrong, which one is preferred? I realize that, because of the spring and rocker arm forces, the valve isn't going to rattle around, but it still kind of bothers me to have any play in there.

Bob,

The valve lock system on a 1600 is a multi groove capture design that allows the valve to turn in the lock.

So yes they are supposed to mate and not have a hard hold on the valve.

The other systems you referred to like on a small block GM V8, .. the lock is a single grove design that has a hard contact with the valve and does not allow the rotation.

How many miles or seasons are on the locks you have? I've never seen a valve lock failure in a FF 1600, .. .. has anyone else???

Curtis

Curtis,

I have no idea how old my valve keepers are. Looking at them with a magnifier shows an effect that I'd say is more polishing than wear. And the valves that just came out look pretty much like the ones that're going back in (at least at the stem end). The valves and keepers are so damned hard that I can't imagine much wear there under any circumstances.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Bob

Bob,

Always glad to help a FF brother.

Curtis

Liked: 313

My experience has been similiar, no failures. But than again I replace them from time to time. The first signs of wear will manifest itself when you are adjusting springs for tension. you will notice some valve stems sticking up a little further than some, and some sinking into the retainer. this will effect pressures and spring hights. I always assumed that if I ignored that symptom, that someday it would bite me on the nether regions. throw them away if disimiliar stem hights are noted. also the retainers.
    chet Carter #29 sf SF region

Chester,

If you are getting that kind of valve lock wear, .. I would suspect something is causing it, .. sounds like more then normal wear.

Curtis

Liked: 0

I've actually had a valve keeper (call them collets in the UK) fail. The lower ridge on the keeper broke away from the body, as a small very hard semicircle of metal. Unfortunately it then dropped into th esump, got past the mesh shield on the outflow, sucked into the pump and stopped it - disaster followed...

Simon
    Drive fast, take chances, take nothing for granted.

Thread Information