Classifieds Super License John Green's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default For the sake of discussion

What if someone had an 85 Reynard FC and was considering converting it to FF for the purpose of running vintage FF, would this qualify to run treaded tires or would it need to run slicks?
    Being old and cheap (value inclined) I can see running treaded Dunlops for multiple races more appealing than spending $800 per set for slicks.
    Just thinking out loud.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1909

You could run PCF with a Kent in SVRA on treads or you could run group 9 with slicks in FC trim.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

The SCCA spec FF Hoosier radials last a long time. Just took a set off the rims with 17 heat cycles. And they really had not lost much.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EACIII View Post
    The SCCA spec FF Hoosier radials last a long time. Just took a set off the rims with 17 heat cycles. And they really had not lost much.

Ed
    Those are treaded, righT?

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 860

Quote Originally Posted by John Green View Post
    Those are treaded, righT?
    No, the Spec FF tire for SCCA is a radial slick. It has been found that more camber is required for the radial tire.

Vintage specifies the treaded tire, which is bias ply.
    Hoosier VFF tires have been very long lasted from what I have found so far. The Avon A25 allowed on the west coast is faster but I think SVRA only allows the A29, which is very close to the Hoosier and Dunlop based on what I have been told.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 98

Hoosier also makes an FF bias-ply tire in the same compound (R60) that would not require as much camber but would have the same performance and competitive heat cycles.

There is no standard vintage FF tire--you would need to check with whatever organization you plan to run with. SCCA doesn't run any vintage classes, but some SCCA regions do--in which case the region sets the rules.

Greg

Liked: 1119

Nobody has addressed what I see as the largest problem with the original question: rather than do a Kent conversion wouldn't it be far cheaper to sell the FC for nearly nothing and buy a CF?
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 295

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Nobody has addressed what I see as the largest problem with the original question: rather than do a Kent conversion wouldn't it be far cheaper to sell the FC for nearly nothing and buy a CF?
    Hah hah! You make what we all know is done all the time sound silly. (and quite possibly is very logical).

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

From years of personal experience the Hoosier R60 Bias slick is a wondrous tire in every regard.
    Comes in really quickly, as in if one wanted to can start a race in stickers an do no long term harm to the tires.
    They easily go 12-15 heat cycles and as long as they can be brought back to temp, that is not a real cold day with lots of long straights to cool them off, they will continue to work well.
    That said, is there a race tire in existence where a fresh set of stickers isn't a bit better than even a few heat cycle set ?
    Given he option and unlimited funds wouldn't we all start every session on stickers ?
    But the R60 is, in my estimation, a great option, and as Eddie Callo says , the same compound on the spec radials offer similar characteristics.
    I cannot comment on that as I have yet to do even a lap on the radials.
    I will say the bias are up to temp faster than the radials, say after a pace lap, as the radials seem to take a bit of work to get up to operating temp.

Liked: 143

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    That said, is there a race tire in existence where a fresh set of stickers isn't a bit better than even a few heat cycle set ?
    Given he option and unlimited funds wouldn't we all start every session on stickers ?
    The Hoosier VFF is horrible during its first heat cycle. Very consistent after that. I'm told it is the R60 compound, but don't know that. It's one of the many reasons vintage fields continue to grow. There is a disadvantage to going out on stickers for a race. They are also a great equalizer... see also Road America 50th lap times.

Cheers,
    Scott

P.S. 40+ at the Glen this weekend for a regular FFCS event. Must be working

12. The following 4 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    That is what my "younger self" would have done......Started in FF 30 years ago thought I'd finish back in the same class. I really like the 2 liter cars though and Mike Rand's comments regarding the life of the Hoosier sounds interesting. Every time I try to convince my crew chief wife that we should go back to the track she cringes at the potential tire expense.

Liked: 254

85 Reynard FC is perfect for the GLC and you're right in the midst of the right region to join in.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 860

Quote Originally Posted by John Green View Post
    That is what my "younger self" would have done......Started in FF 30 years ago thought I'd finish back in the same class. I really like the 2 liter cars though and Mike Rand's comments regarding the life of the Hoosier sounds interesting. Every time I try to convince my crew chief wife that we should go back to the track she cringes at the potential tire expense.
    The R60 cycles Rand mentioned is probably almost as long the VFF tire for Vintage. I bought 2 sets for Vintage and after Road Atlanta, MidOhio, Indy, Monterey and Road America, I haven't worn out a set yet.

To be clear, R60 (or similar depending on your Region) is the spec tire for SCCA Regionals
    Hoosier VFF is one of 3 tires usually allowed in Vintage (Dunlop and Avon also with a softer Avon available on the West coast). Slick in Vintage put you in with Winged cars from FC to F1 (yes, vintage F1 cars have been spotted)
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 341

I have run both the R60a radial and the bias ply slicks. My personal opinion is that there really is not much difference between them. The biggest difference I noticed is that the bias is not as harsh a ride. Cornering, acceleration, deceleration, I think they are very close. From a durability standpoint, I ran a set of the bias ply for nine heat cycles over the weekend and was still turning lead pack lap times at the end of the day on the ninth heat cycle. These tires will serve as the test day tires for the next race and I anticipate that they will be fine for the five or so more heat cycles that they will see (I could likely run them in a race again but I do not have any test tires, only a new set of stickers).

In addition, no having to run crazy amounts of camber. While I was able to get the necessary amount on my Swift using long rod ends, I was never really comfortable with that amount of shank hanging out there. Plus, in my opinion, the car looked goofy with all that camber.

So from my perspective, the wear and the handling are very in line with the radial. Two race weekends per set is very workable and a third (if you are really trying to stretch it) is a potential. No worrying about whether you can get the camber and if so, is it a good idea. But like Mike Rand said, if money were no object, we would all be on sticker tires every session.

Eric (happy to have this |---| rather than this /---\) Little

Classifieds Super License Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 308

Getting back to the original chassis question, be sure to check with the vintage organization you plan on racing with (with whatever vintage tire) to be sure an '85 FC with a Kent motor would be an acceptable chassis. Not all vintage organizations would give you the same answer, which will be dependant on their specific rules.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information