Liked: 29

Default LD200 - Car won't roll while in neutral

Just got the car back together after it sitting for almost 2 years however the car will not roll even with it in neutral. With the car off the floor I can turn the left wheel by hand ( when looking at it front the rear) but the right tire doesn't spin and when I try and rotate the right tire by hand it moves about 3-5* and then stops. I can post a video if needed.

I replaced the clutch, flywheel and throw out bearing while it was taken apart.

Anything I'm missing? Was working fine before the car was split apart. There isn't any fluid in the clutch line yet but I'll add that and check with clutch actuation and see if it changes anything.

With it on the floor, if I try and roll it the Flywheel and rotor in the distributor are NOT moving.

P.S. sorry for all the question posts lately. Just trying to learn and get things ready for next weekend.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JLambeth87; 09.30.19 at 12:48 AM.

Messed with it a touch more. It's definitely in neutral. With tires off the ground I can get it into gear and the wheel turns the same amount as when it's in neutral but this time the opposite wheel rotates backwards from the way I am rotating the other wheel (which I know is correct). It still won't go more than 5-10* of rotation however. I know with it in gear it would be rotating the motor too but I can't get it to do that either. Very confused. Holding off on hooking everything else up incase I need to separate the motor and transmission again.

Liked: 48

can you move the gear selector and select all gears ?
    are you Sure it is not stuck in 2 gears at once ?
    are you sure you did not swap a pair of ratios so they are not paired correctly ?
    can you remove the end cover and post a pic ?
    sounds like it has been a while since you were in the gearbox and maybe the gear box is not assembled correctly
    A couple parts out of place may. lock the box up
    the 5-10 degrees of motion is likely just the back lash on the ring and pinion

I would try to open the back of the gearbox up and check to see all the parts are assembled correctly

is there some one local that could help you to be sure ? definitely do not attempt to run it this way or use the engine to drive it
    "measure twice cut once" is a good method for problems like this
    assume nothing. likely the thing you are sure it right and ignore may likely be the culprit
    friend us on FaceBook search "velocity haus"
    like on facebook search "velocity haus Engineering"
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks. I had just been reading about the possibility of it being in two gears at once.

I'll pull the cover off tomorrow.

I haven't taken any of the internals apart during the engine rebuild process. Last time it was apart was by an experienced person and it ran great since.

While the transmission and the engine where separated, I was able to roll it around the shop.

Thanks for the info. I'll open her up tomorrow and see what it looks like. I honestly know very little about the transmission side of things in terms of trouble shooting and full disassembly.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Check the reverse gear to see if it's engaged. It gets engaged for a gear swap, disassembly. Maybe disengaging it was missed.
    Also make sure the reverse detent is working. I had the set screw fail and reverse kept trying to engage itself. Not good.

That's the weird part, that was never taken apart during the motor out. The transmission was kept together the entire time and was being rolled around the shop without issue.

I'll be opening the back cover shortly and will post pictures.

Liked: 804

Were the clutch disc and throwout bearing replaced by identical parts in the correct orientation?
    Maybe the input shaft is jammed backwards tight enough to jam things up?
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Were the clutch disc and throwout bearing replaced by identical parts in the correct orientation?
    The clutch and throw out bearing are identical. Flywheel is different. Everything went on smoothly.

In the garage now taking things apart. Pictures coming shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    And any and all spacers between the bell housing and engine correctly placed.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 502

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    And any and all spacers between the bell housing and engine correctly placed.
    Ah ha!

Liked: 162

I'm wondering if the sleeve between the layshaft and the clutch shaft has fallen off into the ring & pinion housing. If you aren't familiar with the terms that follow, find a Hewland manual and look at the parts lists.

Check to see that the drawbolt (A38) in the layshaft is still connected to the clutch shaft (D24). The draw bolt holds the clutch shaft to the layshaft via a sleeve (D27). if the draw bolt is broken or missing altogether, the clutch shaft can move away from the layshaft when the gearbox is removed from the engine and allow the sleeve to fall into the ring and pinion housing, where it may be jamming things up. This would also explain why the motor won't turn when moving the car in gear. If assembled properly, the draw bolt should be 1/2 turn loose; sometimes people tighten it up which can cause it to break during use.

Whoops, I just realized that you have a LD200, not a Hewland Mk8/9, so those item numbers would be fubar. Actually, this entire post might be fubar since I don't know jack about the LD200.
    Last edited by bob darcey; 09.30.19 at 2:48 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

Something (maybe a bolt) getting caught on the caliper or upright somewhere?
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Figured it out. Flywheel was touching inside of the bell housing. Split the motor and transmission back apart, ground it down (bell housing, not the flywheel) and now it's working correctly!

There was a crack in the bell housing when I split the car 2 years ago. It had been re-welded and was off just a hair I guess!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Did fill the clutch reservoir and I think that needs to be rebuilt... so ordered rebuild kits for all 3.

So much to do before Saturday! Haha

18. The following 4 users liked this post:

So if you would have started the car it would have fixed itself
    Grind to fit...

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    So if you would have started the car it would have fixed itself
    Grind to fit...
    Self machining parts.

Liked: 3322

Default Weird...

I don't understand how a bound-up flywheel caused it not to roll in neutral. In neutral the flywheel is not connected through any of the gears to the CWP or axles even if the clutch is engaged. So why wouldn't it roll?
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

NVM - saw you fixed it.
    www.wrenchaholics.com

Rental, Coaching, and Data Analysis for Great Lakes Region

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I don't understand how a bound-up flywheel caused it not to roll in neutral. In neutral the flywheel is not connected through any of the gears to the CWP or axles even if the clutch is engaged. So why wouldn't it roll?
    We think it was a small chunk of rust or something on the brake rotors. It seems fine now and transmission sounds/feels normal so I really dont think it was anything in there.

A buddy helped me move both wheels at once off the ground and it came loose.

24. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 324

Default Flywheel

Did you change the flywheel during all of this? If not, how was the weld not a problem for it prior to splitting the car?

Quote Originally Posted by CGOffroad View Post
    Did you change the flywheel during all of this? If not, how was the weld not a problem for it prior to splitting the car?
    Yes it was changed. The bell housing was also welded when it was off the car and one of the welds was in the way when it was bolted back to the motor back in January so we had to grind that down a bit. We only rolled it in neutral then so didnt realize it was touching still till now.

Thread Information