Liked: 391

Default Lower front motormount stud removal

Anyone know if the VD lower front motormount studs are welded in? I discovered one of mine was broken, and i can not get the broken piece out. I've got it drilled and able to get about 200ftlbs on it with an easy out, but it's not even budging. Soaked in penetrating oil for hours already as well.

Anyone ever get one of these out?

Attachment 87595

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

put a hex nut in front (make sure there's enough room to turn it) and fill it up with mig welding it to the stud. while it's hot, spray cool it with kroil. should come right out.

Thanks Rick,

I literally had a 2 foot pipe on a breaker bar with the easy out and it wouldn't move. I was afraid they did something stupid like weld them in from the front since i can't see behind it.

I can't heat or weld anything to it. I also found out the fuel cell has a small leak and i don't feel brave enough to heat that area.

I'm letting the penetrating oil soak in overnight and I'll try the easy out again in the morning. If that doesn't work I'll have to make a new aluminum mounting block and drill a hole next to it where i can reach behind to get a nut.
    Last edited by Speed Sport Engineering; 09.23.19 at 10:06 AM.

Well that was a total nightmare. I have no idea what was used to hold that stud in place, but it was not coming out. I think I must have gotten about 300 ft-lbs on the piece that was left and it still wasn't budging. It's a miracle I didn't snap off more tools trying.

I ended up making a steel drill guide located off of the remaining stud. I then welded a nut onto a couple of drills so I could use enough extensions to get the drill to clear the back of the frame / bellypan so it could be held at the right angle. I drilled the stud out using the correct tap drill size, then used the same guide to re-thread the hole.

After about 8 hours of screwing around, I had new threads.

Thread Information