Liked: 2

Default Advice on a 02 Chevy 2500HD

Hi everyone,

I am finally getting around to buying a truck and trailer for my racecar. After some research, I figured I will be towing at most 8-9k lbs, and I think a 2500 (or F-250) is the ideal truck to go for. I stumbled across a 2002 Chevy 2500HD Diesel for $14,900. It has 186k miles, looks clean, injectors replaced, and it is close to home. The owner says everything works as it should; and there are no electrical or transfer case issues. No aftermarket mods but no paperwork either. My problem is that I really don't know diesels or the market for diesels very well. I will get eyes on it next weekend. Part of me thinks it is overpriced. What do you all think? Any good questions to ask?

Thanks,
    Chris

Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

I've had an 01 2500HD 8.1 4wd since new. About 160K mi. I think this generation is absolutely the ruggedest trucks GM ever built. Look how thick the frame is compared to everything else out there - nothing comes close then OR now.

I've done very little manintenance. Common problems: The usual idler arm problem on GMs is even worse on these. A Super Steer pivot and a heim joint reinforcement kit helps immensely, otherwise they are a 20k mi replacement item and the pittman arm follows about every 60k mi.

I had a brake booster fail, an air conditioning compressor, and the oil cooler lines. That't it.

I've launched a 13,000 lb boat with it. Would pull my 8000lb, 25 ft toyhauler at 80 mph and I could still pull out to pass. Biggest drawback is with the gas motor and pulling gears, I get single digit gas mileage.

The early diesels had a few issues, injectors and head gaskets I believe. If that's all been taken care of you should be good.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

2wd ir 4? I preferred 2, less to go wrong and didn't need 4. Bought mine (2500HD, long bed/extended cab...it's long!) off ebay about 8 yrs ago with 142K for under $13K. Replaced injectors at 148K under warrantee, then had to redo again just short of 200K (I did those myself...dealer refused). Also replaced fuel pump right after first injectors, failed test at dealer for max head...it was a bear to find/do, giant o-ring seal mount.. but went ok..saved about a grand doing it myself. Now have 248K. Replaced hydraulic hose on brake booster (uses PS fluid...leaked after arriving at event.) Also did brake pads and shocks early on. Tires twice. One major service/oil change on gearbox...it weeps a bit since I got it. Also had to replace rear end seal twice, finally replace yoke ($) which seems to have finished those leaks.. Did u-joints once... grease all regularly. AC is either full cold, or not much... when cold the interior panels creak to point it bothers one.

I bought it because of magazine review on towing mid size boats... Haven't seen the big mileage claims.... best ever empty was around 20, more like 15 average. See 10-12 with big box (28ft/2 cars about 9200#). Mid size trailer will get 14 or so.. Chipped it with bullydog early, added about 2mpg and has plenty of power.

On plus side...it's extremely stable at speed towing... you can run/tow at 80+, if needed, but trailer tires and brakes keep one from doing that...happiest around 70-75. Has enough grunt to pass folks. Interior is cloth, seat cushion is showing it's service, and CD player isn't... oh yeah, the automatic light deal sucks...can't turn off when you want, and headlights now come on each time your light it off...have to punch button several times to cancel that... Added a shell to back early on... think prior duty was pulling RV trailer..had 5th whl. hitch under bed liner...

Factory mirrors weren't enough to see around trailer...put $500 bucks into some replacements that work, but had to add all the controls (now has MR2 mirror control on door panel).

Mine went from being parked inside to outside the last few years... paint isn't doing that great, but gets little attention. Oh yeah, the mirror fell of windshield a few years ago...took a chunk of glass with it.

I'd say the asking price is a bit much... around 10K might be better...

On other stuff, hear that old 7.2 Power Strokes are great, 6.0's are to be avoided... Dodges seem to have best economy, but offer less features...

Downside on my Duramax... injectors are totally buried inside valve covers (bad envionment)....later might be better. Also, the water pump is gear driven, you can't see when it leaks...just fills up oil pan... Tow/haul mode is nice...however going down big hills/mountains, it downshifts and you think all will fly apart with rpm...got to dance the power/brake to force shifts..

On the one you've found... look at condition of all the rubber stuff... lots of things to die with age, from door seals, to most critical hoses under hood...(look at turbo cooling hose on front of engine....impossible to replace without major teardown...mine leaked). Look for any leaks under... and see about brakes pads.

Oh yeah...dash got wacky a while ago...would go blank, had to give dash a huge wack to get it back... finally pulled it out and resolder all the contacts... that has worked ok, but now gearbox temp. gauge comes and goes...works fine, stop for fuel, then it doesn't...will go zip, to full, then zip...after awhile has always comeback.. don't know where that issue is, hope it's in dash/gauge, not in gearbox...sensor is buried deep inside... Electronic readout on dash is going dim....can't see gear selector/miles in daytime..even worse when lights are on in rain... guess that's just common with "new fangled" stuff... mechanical indicators didn't fail like these...

Good luck.

Bob L.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 555

I can't offer any diesel insight, but I have the 8.1 gas engine like Rick's and it has been a great truck. Mine is a 2500 Avalanche, but I assume it is a similar chassis (like a Suburban). Mine has 176k miles and seems like it will last plenty more years. It was a top of the line model (leather, power everything) but I got it for ~$7000. It wouldn't surprise me to hear the diesel Silverado might go for more money, but would not have guessed 2x the price of mine.

Mine is 4WD, which I didn't think I'd need in GA, but it has come in handy a few times.

There is an Avalanche forum with tons of advice. Probably something like that for the pickup trucks, too, maybe with a section about what to look for when buying. Of course, when you go to a forum like that everyone there thinks it is the best vehicle ever made. :-)
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for the insight gents. I am curious to see the truck and why he has it priced in the teens.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Seems a bit on the high side to me. I would gladly pay that for a pristine 50 year old truck, or 10 year old truck. Not an almost 20 year old truck with close to 200K on the clock.

What's KBB and NADA have to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Seems a bit on the high side to me. I would gladly pay that for a pristine 50 year old truck, or 10 year old truck. Not an almost 20 year old truck with close to 200K on the clock.

What's KBB and NADA have to say?
    KBB says $9-13k depending on condition.

Liked: 241

That truck visually looks lifted to me - might just be the photo. If so, I would review the suspension changes carefully - higher center of gravity does nothing good for towing stability and the springs might be softer as well which is also not desirable.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    That truck visually looks lifted to me - might just be the photo. If so, I would review the suspension changes carefully - higher center of gravity does nothing good for towing stability and the springs might be softer as well which is also not desirable.

-Mark
    I thought the same thing even though the PO says there is no aftermarket mods. *looks at wheels that are not factory* It is something I want to get a better look at in person.

Liked: 502

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_12 View Post
    I thought the same thing even though the PO says there is no aftermarket mods. *looks at wheels that are not factory* It is something I want to get a better look at in person.
    Possibly airbags added, they can make it look lifted.

Thread Information