Liked: 324

Default Using LD200 Wide Gears

Is there a way to use 1 wide gear ratio in the stack of gears on LD200? Example: 1st through 3rd are regular gears. But, I have a 24:28 which is from a wide gear set. Can just this 24:28 be used? How do you do this?

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by wide gears (I'll assume the RPM drop between gears is larger, "wide" ratio, instead of "close")

It's my understanding that, with the exception of 1st gear (unless you use a spacer - Most 1 sts have an integrated spacer), the gear sets are position interchangeable.

You can make up any stack you want and any 'wide' or 'close' ratio combinations as long as the gear sets (pairs) are matched.
    You could even have 3rd be taller than 4th - no idea why you'd want to - but it could be done.

Liked: 1432

I believe he talking about the 'pro' gears that were physically wider, not mathematically, and stronger to stand up to the Zetec 'pro' map. I've not seen it done, I supposed you could make it work if you machined some custom spacers. A lot easier to just buy the correct ratio.

Liked: 324

Liked: 79

Anything is possible but it's probably just worth getting the standard width gear to be honest, especially as it's top gear where the extra strength isn't really required.

At a minimum to do it you would need the "Wide" kit Pinion shaft rear spacer, which is basically just a smaller diameter than the standard to fit into the counterbore on the gear, and the 3/4 gear spacer on the layshaft would have to be shortened. You would also probably have to get a narrower layshaft rear spacer too. By the time you buy this set of parts and do all the mods to those parts you're probably into about the same money as a standard 24:28.

Without jigging it all up it's really impossible to know if it would work or not, the wide gear set has that maincase spacer, a version of which may need to come into play with just one wide gear.

Too much effort IMO.

Cheers,

Lee
    Last edited by WRD; 07.26.19 at 3:00 PM. Reason: Added jig note and maincase spacer observation.
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    I believe he talking about the 'pro' gears that were physically wider, not mathematically......
    Quote Originally Posted by CGOffroad View Post
    Look at these two threads and you will see what wide gears are.
    Learned something new. I always thought the weak point of the box was the pinion bearing, not the gears themselves.

Thread Information