Liked: 180

Default GoPro Hero 7 Black

They have a pretty good deal on the GoPro Hero 7 at $100 off if you turn in an old one, so I picked one up. I know it may not be the best for racing purposes but my decision was based on other reasons besides racing.

So my question is, what mounts are good for open wheel cars. just don't want it to fall off or break. Also do I need a protective case to help with bug splatter or grease?

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

Liked: 39

Quote Originally Posted by BrianT1 View Post
    They have a pretty good deal on the GoPro Hero 7 at $100 off if you turn in an old one, so I picked one up. I know it may not be the best for racing purposes but my decision was based on other reasons besides racing.

So my question is, what mounts are good for open wheel cars. just don't want it to fall off or break. Also do I need a protective case to help with bug splatter or grease?

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian
    The vibrations of a formula car will break the plastic case. (Personally happened to me) You can get aluminum cases and mounts. I highly suggest it.

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 341

I don't use a GoPro but here is what I have done to mount my camera.

I use a split locking collar and drilled and tapped one half for a 1/4-20 screw. The collar goes on the roll bar above my head and is padded with some foam strip for a garage door seal to help reduce vibration. The base of the camera has a 1/4-20 threaded insert for any camera mount. I mount the camera to the 1/4-20 off the split collar. Finally, there is a spot on the camera for a tether. The one that came with the camera was really thin. I removed it and ran a small zip tie. I then connect another zip tie to that one and around the roll bar.

I have never had the camera come off its mount. Never had the mount come off the car. And therefore, never needed the extra insurance of the zip-tie... but I am glad it is there.

I know some have complained about vibration making the picture shaky with a direct mount to the chassis like mine. I find that at speed (primarily engine RPM related) that the vibration is gone. The only problem I have had with vibration has been on some starts where the harmonic vibration of the engine through the chassis causes a momentary problem. Once up to speed, no issues. So once again, my racing problem solution was to just drive faster.

Eric Little

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

With a GoPro Session I use this mount:

https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Joint-B...ateway&sr=8-14

Tends to cushion vibrations.

For the larger cameras I think Alum is a good idea.

Also, rules say you need to tether it.

I like the split collar option and using an aluminum case. Also I am hoping the picture stabilization will work well against any engine harmonics or a solid mount.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Brian

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Default GoPro

Regarding stability, here's a video from my friends car at Laguna Seca last March. I was surprised to see a GoPro on a CanAm car but video turned out pretty decent. Convinced me to get a clearance refurb for my FF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOGLF6cvC4E
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Regarding stability, here's a video from my friends car at Laguna Seca last March. I was surprised to see a GoPro on a CanAm car but video turned out pretty decent. Convinced me to get a clearance refurb for my FF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOGLF6cvC4E

Thanks, that was a pretty good video considering the V8 power coming from the canam, clear in the corners and a little shaking under big power. I am hoping my small 4 cylinder zetec car will not shake it to death.

Brian

Liked: 341

Quote Originally Posted by BrianT1 View Post
    I like the split collar option and using an aluminum case. Also I am hoping the picture stabilization will work well against any engine harmonics or a solid mount.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Brian

Brian,

I forgot to mention. I use a neoprene washer between the camera and the split collar so that as you thread down on the 1/4-20, it has something to "bite into" to prevent it from moving one way or the other. Helps to keep it from coming off entirely but more importantly, keeps the camera in alignment so that you continue to watch the same view instead of slowly seeing a front view followed by a side view followed by a rear view until you ultimately see a random view of the sky, bodywork, and ground after the camera completely un-threads itself.

Eric Little

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 77

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juRPi7ZFcDc" target="_blank">

I am a little late to this party, but I use a GoPro Hero 6 for the front camera and Hero3+ for the rear facing camera. I have a multi channel audio recorder and mics under the body work for good audio. I haven't had an issue yet with my GoPro mounts. I use the swivel mount that clips in to a double sided tape mounting pad. The rear camera needs about a 6" extension to see over the lower wing.

https://shop.gopro.com/mounts/swivel...ABJQR-001.html

Thread Information