Liked: 0

I just bought a LegrandMK21. Has a engine in it with a front mounted Cosworth pump? Has anybody seen this before? Nice looking unit.. Is it preiod correct for a 76 FF? There is also a cast oil pan. Rounded on one side for good windage and square on teh other for drainage. Looks like it could be a stressed member if needed.. Any idea of its lineage?

Thanks

I have a vintage Alexis that came with a front mount pump, and it has grown on me through the years.......Supposed to be more mechanically efficient than a side mount that runs off the cam with a scroll gear. On oil related failures such as a jammed pump, it causes less destruction, as the "tab" at the end of the main pump shaft shears off. If the same thing happens on a side pump, it strips the gears and generally destroys the cam. The only major fault is that it is difficult to get at to adjust, and generally if you have to remove the pump only, you have to pull the motor. A side mount will not fit in my car, and on most of the vintage cars, you'd probably have to pull the motor to get the side mount off anyway.....

Rebuild parts are available, and it can be rebuilt just as a side mount.

The plumbing can be interesting, and they are generally 4 port pumps. If it checks out OK, I'd keep it.......

Wow, great feedback thanks.. You hit the nail right on the head with pulling the motor , which we are doing now..Any insight into the oil pan???

Thread Information