Liked: 679

Default questions trying to get back to rFactor

I have a fanatec wheel [CSR I think] and pedals. I finally got the four-speed shifter and rFactor working, but can't go over 60 mph, no matter what car I use. I am currently using the rFactor trainer vehicle. [see below]. I turned off the speed limiter [I think] but no change. I checked to see if the butterflys were opening all the way. Okay, I really checked if the connections were tight. No change. Any ideas?

Second issue. I can't get any zip file software to load on my old rig [must upgrade IE. to load. Can't upgrade IE unless you load X upgrade. Can't upload X upgrade without IE upgrade first. yeah, circular trap. Fun stuff.] I have downloaded Hamster to another computer and managed to unzip the non-RAR tracks [VIR, Brands, and I think Watkins.] I then transferred them on a thumbdrive. I even got them to show up, and VIR will actually load. The others, and the Lola, all refuse to load: "problem with MAS file." Any ideas about the MAS file issue?

third question: I note that rFactor central says it's moving. I haven't "gone pro" as I can get no response from their support, and don't know if the site even works anymore. Does anyone know if it's active? Safe to give them a credit card? Does the one-touch download work anymore? [a multi-year old, unanswered post to support suggest it does not.]
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Default confusion reigns

Well, I found lots of stuff on hall sensors, but then, on dissassembly, found out I don't have hall sensors. I have potentiometers. I can't seem to find a source for them, and was considering biting the bullet and getting new pedals, but then I had the bright idea to test the speed in keyboard mode, eliminating the pedals and the cables. It seems I still have no speed beyond 60 mph, even with the keyboard, so it must be in the wheel, or in the game. [I may still need new pedals after mine were dissassembled and re-assembled by the likes of me, but that remains to be seen.]
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 852

Jim,
    I didn't answer your question earlier because I wasn't SURE about it, but the original rFactor is now supported by STEAM (basically and online GAMING company that buys up 'offerings' and provides a 'market store' for all the products in a single location). They actually have rFactor on sale now for $6.34 . I too was using the original rf for several years and then support seemed to disappear and I converted to rFactor2. When I later wanted to go back to rF1, I couldn't get it to work. I got an email from Steam and decided to look to see if rF1 was available .. it is and I bought it a few minutes ago.

Obviously haven't tried it yet, but have expectations that it will work this time .. or at least maybe support will be there to help make it work (hard to beat the price).
    Good luck getting it going on your end.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Steve,
    Thanks for the info. I am in "catch-22" mode, unfortunately. My system is too old to download Steam, apparently. I get a "fatal error; SteamIU.ddl failed to load" message [I can't recall the file specifically, but it's something like that.] Solutions on the web either don't work or are too expensive. I bought a potentiometer [Last one! Just like on the home shopping channel ] but it doesn't seem that the pedals are the problem, as when using keyboard-mode, I still have no speed, and that should have eliminated the pedals as the source of the problem. I have tracks and cars now, I just can't get any speed.[now that's a realistic SIM!]. We'll see. unfortunately, now the real car is acting up, so I don't know when I'll get back to the sim. I'll let you know if I get it resolved.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Thread Information