Thread: Geoffrey Hewitt

Contributing Member
    Liked: 15

Default Geoffrey Hewitt

On May 2nd I went to our friend GeoffreyHewitt’s memorial service at his home. Unfortunately Jen wasn’t able to get off work. After many interesting stories shared by his family and friends on his back deck we went into his home where refreshments were served. His family welcomed me to go into the living room, bed room and his finished basement where he worked his photography magic. They asked me to go through many (THOUSANDS) pictures and take any that had meaning to me! The first picture that drew my attention was a beautiful framed picture of Michael Schumacher. I asked if the offer included this one and was told of course! It wasn’t until I got home that Jen noticed that it was from Monoco Formula One race on the exact day of my Indy accident in 1999 just hours before my accident happened. Now one of the greatest drivers in history is in dire condition due to his skiing accident while wearing a helmet and suffering a traumatic brain injury. As his accident wasn’t anywhere near as bad as mine it haunts me to this day!

Going through Geoff’s beautiful work I was like a kid in a candy store. I’m sure you’ll appreciate these great memories of great drivers still living and the ones that have passed. There are some great shots of Paul Newman’s Datsun. The last couple pics of the red and white Super Vee which was my most favorite of the racecars I owned and raced, BUT the pics are before I owned it. If you look at the rear wing you’ll see the team that was running the car when new, Conti Racing At that time I didn’t know Dave, only his reputation. Needless to say but now he’s my brother from another Mother and the owner of our Indy 500 Rookie of the Year team with Robby McGehee in 99! It wasn’t until years after selling my Super Vee that I found out the connection with Dave, SMALL world! It was hours later after most had gone was I ready to eat.

I made this tribute slideshow from the pictures that I was given. They all are going to be cherished by me not just because of the racing memories but because they came from Geoff! Geoff and I are one of the blessed few that made our living by LIVING our PASSION, RIP and Gods Speed Geoff!

https://youtu.be/EASXWjlWwEo

Liked: 611

Default Geoffrey Hewitt

I was introduced to Geoffrey by my friend and co-car owner Les Miller. Les worked for a few Detroit auto add agencies and knew Geoff from that industry. We saw him most every time we did Mid-Ohio and my favorite from him is with me cresting the left hand corner after the back straight, the wheels on the RT-1 only lightly on the track, with the score board behind.
    I can still picture him in his photographers vest.
    RIP
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

He will be truly missed. One of the best if not the best guys to shoot club racing ever.

Liked: 3322

Sherrie and I knew Geoff from way back. We have many photos that he took, many of which are remarkable for their artistic qualities, in addition to just being great photos.

We shared his love of jazz and gourmet food, which he could make himself to rival any restaurant. When we ate at Indian or Thai restaurants, Geoff always wanted his food "Thai hot" or hotter - he'd ask them to make his food as hot as they could. In spite of trying to burn his taste buds to a crisp, he could recognize the slightest hint of almost any spice in any meal.

He was a great guy for a lot of reasons, and we will miss him a lot.

RIP, Geoff.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Thread Information