Liked: 0

I am not sure of the exact name of this item but I know people use them to hold up undertrays on FF and in many other racecars to support side pods and other panels on the bottom of the car. They look to be black or silver thin round rods that have threaded adjusments on each end. They seems to attach to panels using small rod ends.

They are in this picture here:

[url="http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast/articles/indy500/images/garage/garage18.jpg"]http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast/articles/indy500/images/garage/garage18.jpg[/url]

Can some of you let me know what these are called and where I can purchase them?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

Contributing Member Curtis Boggs's Avatar

Chris:

Supports are all custom made according to the application needs. They can be nothing more than a piece of flat strip stock bent and drilled at both ends, round stock threaded at both ends for rod ends like that in tthe picture, or cables.
    Racing Flow Development
    Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
    http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 27

Chris,
    The old way was using a solid rod, threaded at one or both ends, but now we are using a flexable cable, with threads on each end to do the job.
    With the solid rod, if the floor panel (under tray,etc.) hit a curb and pushed the panel up, the rod would bend and keep the panel up (common problem on many Van Diemens). After a while the rod would fail from trying to be straightened too many times.
    If you're lookin to replace an existing unit, we can make the cables, bracket and supply the rod-ends needed.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff,Inc.

Thanks! I think I will go with the flexible one so that I don't have to replace them when they get bent over and over.

I just have to go over the GCR rules to see how far back and wide the undertray can be. I am going to run it from the roll hoop back to about the rear axle. I am pretty sure the GCR says the rear axle is the farthest you can go but I need to check on the width (if it is a rule).

-Chris
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

Thread Information