Liked: 29

Default Will polyester resin eat a bead seat?

I want to use an old bead seat, but want to smooth it out before I cover it again, will polyester resin eat the seat? How about good old bondo? I'm sure I could use epoxy resin, but it's a lot more expensive. Any ideas appreciated.
    Mike M.

Liked: 1880

Yes and yes.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Bondo may eat it also. Think I remember something about painting foam with latex paint first but someone that knows more then me should advise you on that

Liked: 1880

Easiest is to brush on a layer of epoxy resin first, then the polyester resin or bondo.

Liked: 225

Default Microballoons

Micro balloons can be used to thicken resin so it acts like a filler. Easy sanding. Lighter than Bondo.

One of the Ace Hardware stores here carries qt and gall cans but I’m close to a beach. West Marine has them I’m sure.

Great shelf life. Pretty sure it’s practically indefinite, unlike resin or Bondo.

John

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 804

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your intent, but wouldn't putting a "hard shell" layer over the beads significantly reduce their effectiveness in shock absorption?

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting your intent, but wouldn't putting a "hard shell" layer over the beads significantly reduce their effectiveness in shock absorption?
    I'm not an engineer, but I'd say... ...not at all.

Any impact that needs absorption is hardly going to find a thin hard shell that prevents the degradation of the bead seat's surface any kind of impediment.

Liked: 804

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    I'm not an engineer, but I'd say... ...not at all.

Any impact that needs absorption is hardly going to find a thin hard shell that prevents the degradation of the bead seat's surface any kind of impediment.
    Hi Alan, I guess it comes down to thickness as well. Another thought, if the ‘shell’ splinters in a big accident, do the edges become cutting tools against the torso? Although it can get tatty, is gaffer tape a better compromise?

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Hi Alan, I guess it comes down to thickness as well. Another thought, if the ‘shell’ splinters in a big accident, do the edges become cutting tools against the torso? Although it can get tatty, is gaffer tape a better compromise?
    Sort of related - in my experience, epoxy is a lot less brittle and much more flexible than polyester.
    Dave Weitzenhof

13. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Thread Information