Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

Default Dave Bean Engineering

I tried calling Dave Bean Engineering today and got no answer.
    I thought I'd read somewhere that the business would continue after Dave's passing.
    I'm looking for ignition parts for a 1600 crossflow Ford with a Lucas 45D4 distributor.
    I thought they'd be a place to start.
    Anyone have suggestions if they've closed permanently?

Chris

Contributing Member
    Liked: 115

Default Dave Bean

Pm rvgreg (Dave was his uncle) on this site if anyone can help he’s the one.

Tom

Liked: 956

Last I heard DBE is still in operation, Roberta is running the show.

RD Enterprises in PA www.rdent.com sells Lotus parts as well as EnFo.
    The other alternative is your local NAPA or other parts house. 90% of all English cars used the same set of points.

Standard Motor Products makes their "Blue Streak" brand. Part number is LU1617XP Which is a stronger spring.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default Moss and others...

Moss Motors should have most stuff, as does APT, Mini Mania, Seven Enterprises, RD Enterprises (Lotus stuff)......others. Depends on what you need... + Remember Morgans did run Ford engines too.

Most of my need is for BMC Have had issues with later condensers failing, and there's a "fancy" red rotor that should be used (better quality, than normal ones today). Not made like old stuff...

(If vintage racing we can't use crank trigger (even if period available), then all should use vintage points ignitions, right? Not so...electronic in distributor seems ok...odd. Also, check other apex threads on Pertronix experiences.)

Happy hunting.

Bob L.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3

I can attest that DBE is alive, well and open. I was there today. Not sure what time you called. Since Ken is the only one working parts, he might have been on a lunch break and the phones switched over. But they have had, on occasion, trouble with phone lines. Call them back!!

Had a brief conversation with Roberta last night at a local pizza joint and again today. She is steering the DBE ship and is in pretty good spirits...............

Mike Summers

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

I haven't dealt with these guys but my guess is they are ex-DBE guys.
    http://www.jaeparts.com/

Moss is a really good source if you know their part number. They remind me of a consumer auto parts store where the first questions are make, model and year and they can't find parts without that.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

Thanks for all the input.
    I called today and got through.
    Apparently they had phone problems yesterday.
    Ken will be shipping all the bits and maybe I can get my Mallock MK16 running again after close to twenty years!
    thanks again,

Chris

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherBernard View Post
    I tried calling Dave Bean Engineering today and got no answer.
    I thought I'd read somewhere that the business would continue after Dave's passing.
    I'm looking for ignition parts for a 1600 crossflow Ford with a Lucas 45D4 distributor.
    I thought they'd be a place to start.
    Anyone have suggestions if they've closed permanently?

Chris
    Hello. If you haven't already found the parts you need for the Lucas distributor, Burton Performance of Ilford, U.K. sell many spare parts for these distributors, and also complete units and coils. Being mainly a Ford parts dealer concentrating on racing parts, they carry a large inventory, are fast at shipping, and very helpful. Another company is Holden Vintage U.K., who seem to have a good connection with the company (or small companies) that produce new 'genuine' Lucas parts. Holden advertise that you can contact them for technical advice, but after sending them emails and faxes regarding some expensive parts I wanted to purchase, (and never receiving a reply), I used Burton instead. Both companies have excellent catalogs, and the U.K. Pound to U.S. Dollar conversion is not too bad at the moment. If you order on-line from Burton, they offer a better discount.
    S7

Liked: 0

Hi there,

I'm looking for the contact info of the Dave Bean Engineering company. Found the phone number, but unfortunately, I can't reach them - +1 209-754-5802
    Emailed admin, but haven't got an answer - admin (at) davebean (dot) com

Liked: 3

Default Dave Bean

Terry, not sure why you cant reach them...…….I talked to Ken there yesterday. You have the correct phone 209 754-5802. You can email at ken@davebean.com

They are cranking out Lotus stuff everyday and doing well

Mike Summers

Thread Information