Liked: 391

Default Negotiating with trailer dealers

For those who have purchased new trailers, have you had any luck negotiating better prices or is everything take it or leave it? I'm considering a new made to order Pace, Haulmark, or ATC and wondering if the quoted price is the bottom.

Thanks!

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

No idea about negotiating prices but go with the ATC if you can swing it.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    For those who have purchased new trailers, have you had any luck negotiating better prices or is everything take it or leave it? I'm considering a new made to order Pace, Haulmark, or ATC and wondering if the quoted price is the bottom.

Thanks!
    Depends on the dealer. I found the bottom line to be very similar and there is a multiplicity of brands. You can't get educated in 30 minutes. Don't depend on a brands previous reputation, a number of them have been bought out by private equity firms.

Liked: 955

If you are having the dealer add accessories such as electrical, lighting, cabinets and custom work, you may have some room to negotiate. After the sale, the accessories get very expensive.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Thanks!
    You can absolutely negotiate. Depending on the trailer there may or may not be a whole lot of meat on the bone. The take it or leave it part is easy. Leave it. If they let you walk when not paying list find another dealer.

I'm relying on memory here so my numbers may be a bit off. I believe I paid about 15% below list when buying 2 new trailers at the same time (a 16' x 7' tandem axle and a 20' x 102"). May or may not have been all the discount I could have negotiated, but it was about 15% more than if I hadn't negotiated a bit. Maybe the next guy got 20%, maybe I was lucky. No idea.

Liked: 1115

Somebody mentioned last year that when buying a new trailer you should take with you a long piece of angle iron to make sure the wheels all point in the same direction...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 29

Default Trailer deals

I've done pretty well in the past negotiating prices on new trailers. Once I settled on a particular make, model and options, I sent e-mails to every dealer in the country and told them I was going to order one....what's the best price they could do. The range of prices (from the dealers that responded) was significant. I don't remember actual numbers, but it was worth the effort. Keep in mind if you're going to require much service after the sale this might not be a good strategy. In one case I picked the trailer up at the factory since it was much closer to me than the dealer I actually purchased the trailer from.
    Mike M.

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Thanks!
    Check out InTech as well. Similar to ATC but better build quality in my experience.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Somebody mentioned last year that when buying a new trailer you should take with you a long piece of angle iron to make sure the wheels all point in the same direction...
    Or simply don't buy a Pace.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Where

Where you buy it from does make a difference. In Conn everything is over priced. I picked my ATC up from a dealer in PA and saved thousands.

Ed

Liked: 37

Default New Trailer

Mike,
    You might want to check out Millenium Trailers in Indiana. From my shopping experience a year ago I think their quality is at least as good if not better than Haulmark or Pace (both made in the same plant, btw). Millenium models I’ve seen at the track seemed to be finished off nicer than many other brands and are priced competitively.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

I'm 100 to 120 miles from lots of dealers in LA. My local dealer had one of the trailers I wanted but was about 15% higher.
    Basic Pace 20ft. I called the local dealer and just said "I'd like to do local business with you but I can't justify paying that much over the LA dealers." In a hour I had an out the door quote on a 10k gvw model that was less than the LA dealers 7k model.

Paperwork by email. 2 days later I was able to pick it up on my lunch hour.

My original plan was to buy an ATC, but they raised their prices over 25% from December 17 to January 18.
    Which put the cost almost double the Pace. I couldn't justify having that much capital sitting as much as it does.
    Sure, you save gas on the aluminum, but when you tow 6 times a year it'll take 30 years to break even.

Liked: 78

I went through the build / spec process with the owner of trailer manufacturer. And I went through the same process with a dealer. Both this year. The markup from manufacturer to dealer was 25%. This was for an apples to apples trailer for racing.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 39

Default Trailer

Check out "Intech".........they look like good quality

Liked: 391

Quote Originally Posted by Jtovo View Post
    I went through the build / spec process with the owner of trailer manufacturer. And I went through the same process with a dealer. Both this year. The markup from manufacturer to dealer was 25%. This was for an apples to apples trailer for racing.

Thank you - this is useful information.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I'm 100 to 120 miles from lots of dealers in LA. My local dealer had one of the trailers I wanted but was about 15% higher.
    Basic Pace 20ft. I called the local dealer and just said "I'd like to do local business with you but I can't justify paying that much over the LA dealers." In a hour I had an out the door quote on a 10k gvw model that was less than the LA dealers 7k model.

Paperwork by email. 2 days later I was able to pick it up on my lunch hour.

My original plan was to buy an ATC, but they raised their prices over 25% from December 17 to January 18.
    Which put the cost almost double the Pace. I couldn't justify having that much capital sitting as much as it does.
    Sure, you save gas on the aluminum, but when you tow 6 times a year it'll take 30 years to break even.
    When I received the quote on the ATC I just about fell out of my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorma View Post
    I've done pretty well in the past negotiating prices on new trailers. Once I settled on a particular make, model and options, I sent e-mails to every dealer in the country and told them I was going to order one....what's the best price they could do. The range of prices (from the dealers that responded) was significant. I don't remember actual numbers, but it was worth the effort. Keep in mind if you're going to require much service after the sale this might not be a good strategy. In one case I picked the trailer up at the factory since it was much closer to me than the dealer I actually purchased the trailer from.
    Mike M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    You can absolutely negotiate. Depending on the trailer there may or may not be a whole lot of meat on the bone. The take it or leave it part is easy. Leave it. If they let you walk when not paying list find another dealer.

I'm relying on memory here so my numbers may be a bit off. I believe I paid about 15% below list when buying 2 new trailers at the same time (a 16' x 7' tandem axle and a 20' x 102"). May or may not have been all the discount I could have negotiated, but it was about 15% more than if I hadn't negotiated a bit. Maybe the next guy got 20%, maybe I was lucky. No idea.

Thank you - this is the type of information I was looking for.

For those who have chimed in with other manufactures to look at - thanks, I'll review them all prior to making a decision.

Liked: 246

Mike, I have to caveat this with my experience was over 15 yrs ago but when I bought my trailer I got 3 quotes for the exact same trailer. One from the factory in UT, on from a large dealer here in Los Angeles, and one from a tiny dealer in nowhere NV that obviously had very low overhead. I don’t know how much of a break the manufacturers give the dealer, but the dealer in LA was about 10% above the manucturer and the dealer in NV started at 10% less than the factory and I got him to give me almost another 10% off (20 % below dealer). That said I didn’t “negotiate the factory or LA dealer quote so maybe they would have take additional off as well. So, as most have commented I think it pays to shop around and negotiate. Good luck, Todd

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 246

Correction 20% below factory

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I sure don't like when manufacturers sell direct to consumer when they have a dealership network. They are competing against the dealerships who are trying earn a living selling their product. Their wholesale prices oftentimes provide such little margin for dealers as well. Pretty soon you'll be able to buy a 53' x 102" Featherlite stacker on Amazon.

22. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    Check out InTech as well. Similar to ATC but better build quality in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceRace View Post
    Check out "Intech".........they look like good quality
    I looked at them. Great quality - probably a step better than ATC. But the cost.....

I talked to a dealer in NoCal and his 20ft models started at $25k. Sure they were loaded.
    I told him I couldn't justify that. He told me everything else was crap and implied I was an idiot for buying anything else.
    I asked if he could quote me a bare basic (no cabinets, etc) and he said no.

Liked: 804

I was flexible with what I needed and could live with, and got a nice all-aluminum Sundowner gooseneck, 3 years old but never sold, right off the dealer lot for 25% off list price of an identical current-year trailer sitting beside it (and got 5 new tires included). I figure with the little we use these trailers, age is irrelevant.

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    I was flexible with what I needed and could live with, and got a nice all-aluminum Sundowner gooseneck, 3 years old but never sold, right off the dealer lot for 25% off list price of an identical current-year trailer sitting beside it (and got 5 new tires included). I figure with the little we use these trailers, age is irrelevant.
    Except the tires, of course. They degrade just sitting there.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Default InTech Trailers

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I looked at them. Great quality - probably a step better than ATC. But the cost.....

I talked to a dealer in NoCal and his 20ft models started at $25k. Sure they were loaded.
    I told him I couldn't justify that. He told me everything else was crap and implied I was an idiot for buying anything else.
    I asked if he could quote me a bare basic (no cabinets, etc) and he said no.
    I'll second the InTechtrailer recommendation. If your dealer won't quote what you want, orwon't give you a good price, call Brad at RPM trailers (877) 776-8812. They are about 2miles from Road Atlanta and quote very aggressive pricing on new InTech. Customordering a trailer was a great experience with Brad and InTech.

27. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Dixon View Post
    I'll second the InTechtrailer recommendation. If your dealer won't quote what you want, orwon't give you a good price, call Brad at RPM trailers (877) 776-8812. They are about 2miles from Road Atlanta and quote very aggressive pricing on new InTech. Customordering a trailer was a great experience with Brad and InTech.
    Absolutely agree with Brandon. I bought a 40' gooseneck InTech through Brad last year. VERY custom, and Brad knows how to spec them out to the end result you want like nothing I've ever seen. And he knocked 9% off list without even being asked. I'm in VA and we went to the Indiana factory to pick it up, but he adds so much value to the purchase I'd go back through him (located on Hwy. 53 right after you get off I-85 on the way to Road Atlanta) in a heartbeat. If you can swallow the cost and decide on InTech, going through RPM is a no-brainer. He is the largest InTech dealer in the country and pretty much helped build InTech. Framing and build quality like no other trailer, IMO.

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Liked: 227

I was able to pick my trailer up at the factory in GA, which saved be in two ways. First, I was able to buy it from a dealer in SC, who gave me a better price than my local dealer. Also, it was cheaper for me to pick it up than to pay the trailer company to ship it to the local dealer. I lived in Memphis, TN, at the time.

Not sure where you are in WI, but I think most trailer manufacturers still have plants in northern IN.

Cory

Thread Information