Liked: 9

Default Inexperienced Engineer in Northern IL Looking to Help Out

Hi y'all,

I'm a young (23) mechanical engineer working in a field unrelated to racing, but I've always had a passion for the sport. I chose to study mechanical engineering because I decided if I couldn't be a professional driver, at the very least I want to be able to use my mind to figure out how to make racecars go faster. I would love to get behind the wheel again but I know that's not feasible right now; however that's no excuse to not be involved in racing and learn all I can!

I'm currently located right by the Wisconsin/Illinois state line, just north of Rockford, IL. I grew up in Texas but my job is a rotational program that moves me once a year (scheduled to begin my next rotation in July, very likely back in Texas. I'm sorry but this whole -30° crap ain't for me!). I want to gain experience in the road racing world, I've done some dirt-track racing and a bit of karting but I haven't had much exposure to road course racing.

I'm pretty flexible as to what time/amount/location/tasks you would like some assistance with, as long as you're willing to work with me. As I said, I have a 9-5 which means my time isn't an infinite resource; I still have to pay the bills so I can't give up my day job.

So if you're not terribly far away, can I help out with your racing program? I don't care if you're a professional team, an amateur racer, or anywhere inbetween, I just want to be involved and learn all I can. If you plan to travel for some races I'm more than willing to go along if I can hitch a ride. I can pitch a tent and grill some vittles, I don't need much as long as I'm at a racetrack!

Feel free to contact me through PM, replies to this post, or email me at win98xjr@gmail.com if you prefer. Let's talk about what you need and how I can help. I just ask that you please be patient with me, as much as I would love to pretend I'm an expert that knows all there is to know about racing, the reality is that despite growing up around this sport, I still have so much to learn. But I'm more than willing to soak up some knowledge like a sponge and help out in any way that I can. Let me know if you can make use of me.

Thanks,
    Luke

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Great to see someone your age who wants to be involved. I sent you an email. Bruce

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Sounds like me except that I started crewing for Vintage racers in college and did not graduate in a timely manner!

The most important thing is to have fun. Every successful person I know enjoys what they do!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 9

Thanks for your responses! I've received a couple emails and will respond to them shortly, I really appreciate y'all reaching out to me!

Thread Information